Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
2 week statusreport:<o:p></o:p>
Well is itā€™sbeen 2 weeks and so far so goodā€¦Both dogs clean their bowls and really seem toappreciate each and every offering I have placed before them (some more thanothersā€¦as indicated by the speed of bowl cleaning).<o:p></o:p>
Physically bothdogs are the same weight as when we startedā€¦Sophie the weimaraner is 59 lbs(could stand to gain a couple) and Schultz the bulldog is 47.8 lbs (he couldstand to lose 1 or 2). Both have shinysoft coats and bright eyesā€¦lots of energy despite the onslaught of hot, humidweather (they get their walks in the early predawn mornings)ā€¦only change to thepoop pattern is that its less volume and less frequent (which seems like abonus, the volume of food they eat is definitely greater and less is comingoutā€¦ ergo itā€™s better digested?) Schultzhas been off carrots, sweet potatoes, and blueberries (all of which were in hisTHK and Orijen formulas) for 2 weeks and I think maybe there is lessitchy/scratchy, his skin looks very clear, especially his chin so thatā€™s a goodthing!<o:p></o:p>
Iā€™m stillconfused about supplementing calcium and vitamins-minerals, as there doesnā€™tseem to be a consensusā€¦but Iā€™m going with a varied diet for balance, addingcalcium in the amount of 500 mg per 15lbs of body weight a day (so Sophie gets2000 mg and Schultz is getting 1500 mg) Iā€™m using a supplement that doesnā€™t addphosphorous (as the animal protein they get has high levels of phosphorous andthey need calcium to maintain the proper calcium ā€“phosphorous ratio) and amultivitamin formulated for dogs on a home cooked diet made by AnimalEssentials (it doesnā€™t have super high level of anything)ā€¦I will continueadding the digestive enzymes/probiotic , the longevity (which is bee pollen,spirulina, biotin, glucosamine, chondroitan, msm) and garlic tabs that I havealways added to their mealsā€¦<o:p></o:p>
The following isan especially easy recipe to make and serve that they both did a dance for:<o:p></o:p>
Tuna Salad<o:p></o:p>
v SolidWhite Albacore Tuna in water ā€“ 66.5 oz ā€“ 48 oz will be tuna (total calories1440)<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
v Blackbeans ā€“ 4 cups cooked organic w/o salt ā€“ (total calories 908)<o:p></o:p>
v 1 Ā½cup of bulgur wheat ā€“ becomes 4 Ā½ cups cooked ā€“ (total calories 840)<o:p></o:p>
v 1 cup chopped parsley<o:p></o:p>
v 1medium sized zucchini shredded<o:p></o:p>
v 4tablespoons olive oil (total calories 480)<o:p></o:p>
v Ā½cup apple cider vinegar<o:p></o:p>
(mix togethertuna, beans, bulgur and vegetablesā€¦toss with dressing olive oil and apple cidervinegar)<o:p></o:p>
Approximately16.5 cups volume, 3668 total calories, each cup @222 cals<o:p></o:p>
v 1% cottage cheese ā€“ (each tablespoon 11calories, Ā½ cup 90 calories)<o:p></o:p>
The cottagecheese is an extra, good calcium and protein but only if dairy isnā€™t a problemā€¦Sophieis ok with dairy and Schultz not so muchā€¦<o:p></o:p>

Members online

No members online now.