Sad day

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
So sorry to hear this. If there is a clause about this in your contract, I suppose it might be difficult to contest, but I would check what the law says. Can the landlord actually set up such rules? I mean, a dog that disturbs is one thing, but assessing dogs by their size seems very odd. A barking mini terrier is more problematic for neighbours than a calm and well-behaved bulldog...

I would find legal advice and check if the landlord has the right to set up rules like that. The rules in the US might be much stricter than here; in Sweden, this would not have been possible (unless the hosue is a certified house for allergic people or something like that).

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I'm quite sure that a landlord can make any rules they chose as long as it's not discriminatory towards people. Something to consider...Mr. Wrinkles is NOT over 30 lbs. It will likely be at least 6 months before he's 30 lbs. So by the rules stated, you can keep Mr Wrinkles at the apt until his weight exceeds what is allowed. That's plenty of time for you and him to warm up to the landlord. It's also remotely possible that Mr. Wrinkles will be a smallish bulldog. Three of our 4 girls are less than 35 lbs but we keep them on the lean side.

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
I'm quite sure that a landlord can make any rules they chose as long as it's not discriminatory towards people. Something to consider...Mr. Wrinkles is NOT over 30 lbs. It will likely be at least 6 months before he's 30 lbs. So by the rules stated, you can keep Mr Wrinkles at the apt until his weight exceeds what is allowed. That's plenty of time for you and him to warm up to the landlord. It's also remotely possible that Mr. Wrinkles will be a smallish bulldog. Three of our 4 girls are less than 35 lbs but we keep them on the lean side.

Iā€™m trying but the last thing I would want to do is to agree to that with her and then he gets big and then after months him belng with us it would be even harder for us to get rid of him and weā€™ll we feel since heā€™s still a puppy that it will be a lot easier to find him a new home now that heā€™s still so young a lot of ppl donā€™t want a dog that big already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=18623]Nelson318[/MENTION]

Here is a link to a PDF file "A Tennant's Guide To New York City Pet LAWS" perhaps something in this document could help. You ARE in NY city, right??

http://mobilizationforjustice.org/wp-content/uploads/A-Tenants-Guide-to-NYCs-Pet-Laws.pdf

The booklet contains SAMPLE LETTERS you can write for emotional support pet status. It ALSO says that a JUDGE is the ONLY person that can order you to get rid of your pet, a landlord CANNOT.

Hope this helps.....

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=18623]Nelson318[/MENTION]

Here is a link to a PDF file "A Tennant's Guide To New York City Pet LAWS" perhaps something in this document could help. You ARE in NY city, right??

http://mobilizationforjustice.org/wp-content/uploads/A-Tenants-Guide-to-NYCs-Pet-Laws.pdf

The booklet contains SAMPLE LETTERS you can write for emotional support pet status. It ALSO says that a JUDGE is the ONLY person that can order you to get rid of your pet, a landlord CANNOT.

Hope this helps.....

Might cost more getting a lawyer and/or fighting in court as it was written on the lease.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
A lease is a written contract that was signed prior to moving in which means it was acknowledged and agreed to by all parties that there would not be dogs over 30 pounds. While the situation might suck, the landlord is not in the wrong here and if Mr. Wrinkles is allowed to stay, that would not look good for any other resident that wants to bring in a large dog. It is not discriminatory to base pet restrictions based on weight. Very rarely do apartments, condos or even homeowners looking to rent out their home want large dogs.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, of course, agree. I just thought the sample letters for emotional support pet could possibly help. No harm in trying :)

One thought on this is that the landlord can possibly make the defense that when asked if a dog was allowed, it was never stated that the dog would be for emotional support and that this just came up after being told the dog couldn't stay and that the tenant signed the lease knowing no dogs over 30 pounds were allowed.

I personally don't see any way around the signed lease but I could be wrong.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
One thought on this is that the landlord can possibly make the defense that when asked if a dog was allowed, it was never stated that the dog would be for emotional support and that this just came up after being told the dog couldn't stay and that the tenant signed the lease knowing no dogs over 30 pounds were allowed.

I personally don't see any way around the signed lease but I could be wrong.

I tend to agree with you.....unfortunately. If I could I would totally take Mr. Wrinkles. I guess if it came right down to it there are SEVERAL here that would NEVER let him be surrendered to a shelter...a pound....including me......

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
Tell the landlord Mr. Wrinkles is part French Bulldog.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tell the landlord Mr. Wrinkles is part French Bulldog.

It is not the breed that is the issue, it is the size of the dog.

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
It is not the breed that is the issue, it is the size of the dog.

Frenchieā€™s are small. Shoot, tell the landlord heā€™s part chihuahua.

It was really meant more for humor. I think the situation is ridiculous and I hope it works itself out for Mr. Wrinkles, and his families sake.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
folks, ok. Philosophically, the lease agreement requires no more than 30 pounds correct? Well Mr. Wrinkles is way below that right therefore meeting and well within the max. weight requirement. So there is still time, few months, a year. There you have it. There is time to go to plan b.

No rush to surrendering him right away if we go by legalities.

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
folks, ok. Philosophically, the lease agreement requires no more than 30 pounds correct? Well Mr. Wrinkles is way below that right therefore meeting and well within the max. weight requirement. So there is still time, few months, a year. There you have it. There is time to go to plan b.

No rush to surrendering him right away if we go by legalities.

I mean, this makes the most logical sense. I wish the very best and hope Mr. Wrinkles and family remain in tact!

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
Hey guys once again let just say thank you to all of ya for all the love and support still waiting to get a respond back from the landlord I offered to pay a little extra in rent in order to keep him but still noting just keeping my fingers crossed Iā€™m expecting the worst it hoping for the best. Also I received my little guys AKC
wrinkles1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.