2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Letā€™s do under members only as Iā€™m not sure how many active members are also 4paws. I will start it in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You good starting or would you want me to? I think it needs to be a sticky thread too

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You good starting or would you want me to? I think it needs to be a sticky thread too

Yes, a sticky thread. I donā€™t know how to do that so can you start it?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Mugshots!!! Whooohooo....we are all going to be stuck to a wall like criminals! :lmaogirl::lmaoboy::lmaogirl::lmaoboy::lmaogirl:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Mugshots!!! Whooohooo....we are all going to be stuck to a wall like criminals! :lmaogirl::lmaoboy::lmaogirl::lmaoboy::lmaogirl:

I was Italian by marriage-sure do miss them. Never felt so welcome! BUT-you will never catch me in a MUGSHOT!! Yeah, fuhgedaboudit!

OP
M

Mallred

Feb 24, 2018
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Update on Henry, he has been on a single protein food, Zignature lamb and lentil for 2 weeks. No improvement, just a bit worse, shedding like crazy. Does anyone Think I should have him tested for Demodectic mange? The vet did a scraping in January for that and it came back negative, but maybe it wasn't accurate? Or does his rash look nothing like mange? (The pics I find are extreme cases) Also one of the circular bald spots he had on the top of his head has gotten more elongated and is red and raised now, feels like hard bump. I'm going to be taking him back to the vet tomorrow. Also looking into doing a raw food diet.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Update on Henry, he has been on a single protein food, Zignature lamb and lentil for 2 weeks. No improvement, just a bit worse, shedding like crazy. Does anyone Think I should have him tested for Demodectic mange? The vet did a scraping in January for that and it came back negative, but maybe it wasn't accurate? Or does his rash look nothing like mange? (The pics I find are extreme cases) Also one of the circular bald spots he had on the top of his head has gotten more elongated and is red and raised now, feels like hard bump. I'm going to be taking him back to the vet tomorrow. Also looking into doing a raw food diet.

Just go raw. Youā€™ll eliminate so many problems. January isnā€™t that long either. One thing I can suggest is buy NuStock. Duke lost hair not too long ago as Iā€™ve mentioned previously. Looked like a sponge n red. Put the NuStock on, heā€™s been 100% raw n now today his fur looks great. Back on track. Also got him new raw which is only ground turkey with all the organs in it n also the tripe. I wanted one protein at a time. Good idea going back to the vet! Keep us posted!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I would definitely get him tested again... if you can post any new pictures it may help.

I agree with Helene.... go raw if you are willing, I did with my guys and I can't believe the improvements

OP
M

Mallred

Feb 24, 2018
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Hello,
I could not figure out how to start a new thread... but thanks for all the advice last winter. After just a few weeks of raw diet his skin completely changed! It was an amazing difference. Anyways, we stuck with the raw beef afraid to change anything because skin and hair was so good, no more itching or licking (he is allergic to salmon and chicken). Well, The allergies are slowly coming back in the exact same pattern as last year. He is itching and licking so much and his skin is getting the same awful redness as in original picture I posted. I feed him Bone and Co. raw beef, just wondering if you think I should switch to their duck? I'm sure he has an environmental allergy that maybe shows up this time of year because it started the exact time of year, so we have been keeping him indoors. But I'm wondering if he developed an allergy to beef now or if it's just coincidence with this time of year.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hello,
I could not figure out how to start a new thread... but thanks for all the advice last winter. After just a few weeks of raw diet his skin completely changed! It was an amazing difference. Anyways, we stuck with the raw beef afraid to change anything because skin and hair was so good, no more itching or licking (he is allergic to salmon and chicken). Well, The allergies are slowly coming back in the exact same pattern as last year. He is itching and licking so much and his skin is getting the same awful redness as in original picture I posted. I feed him Bone and Co. raw beef, just wondering if you think I should switch to their duck? I'm sure he has an environmental allergy that maybe shows up this time of year because it started the exact time of year, so we have been keeping him indoors. But I'm wondering if he developed an allergy to beef now or if it's just coincidence with this time of year.

Can't hurt to try duck or rabbit, see if that helps.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Beef is qualified almost as chicken for allergies. I would definitely change if itā€™s coming back.

I think Honey is becoming slightly allergic to turkey as well- she smells a bit while on it and licks her paws a little. She used to be ok on everything besides chicken and cornish hen.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hello,

Sounds like it could be seasonal. Have you done any allergy testing?

Also, when feeding raw, it is suggested to rotate between at least 3 proteins as different proteins have different nutrition and you want everything to balance out. Since he is allergic to chicken and salmon, you can also try duck, pork, rabbit, turkey. Do you give any probiotics? And dogs can develop and an allergy at any time so another good reason to rotate proteins.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Also, when feeding raw, it is suggested to rotate between at least 3 proteins as different proteins have different nutrition and you want everything to balance out. Since he is allergic to chicken and salmon, you can also try duck, pork, rabbit, turkey. Do you give any probiotics? And dogs can develop and an allergy at any time so another good reason to rotate proteins.

Very true. A lot of people will feed the exact same thing for years. Allergies will develop as the body gets use to eating the same protein and when you introduce a new protein when most of the time itā€™s the 5th or 8th ingredients. I copy/paste the ingredients of someoneā€™s bag on a post and lamb was like almost in the middle of the bag as ingredient. But yes simply rotate like you said so the body gets to eat different proteins, produce n fruits too.

But most likely licking n itchy is environmental. A blood work would determine if it is or not.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think Honey is becoming slightly allergic to turkey as well- she smells a bit while on it and licks her paws a little. She used to be ok on everything besides chicken and cornish hen.

Cheli can't do turkey either, the gas is deadly

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello,

Agree with Citty -- get three proteins he can handle and rotate between them. I feed raw and rotate with chicken, tuna and duck... chicken might be leaving as the gas is starting to get 'nasty' with Cheli

Members online

No members online now.