Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I have him started on zignature lamb and lentil yesterday because of it being a single protein. I have also washed his bedding in hypo-allergenic detergent and rinsed with vinegar as suggested. Hope to see a change soon. Since he has had numerous meds, cytopoint, antibiotic, prednisone...I am holding off on more vet visits for now. Does anyone know how long it should take to see change in rash once he has a food he can tolerate? I will post update.

Sounds like you are on the right track ! Most members on this site with allergic dogs using dry dog kibble use either Zignature or Earthborne holistic. But you will get much better results if you use dehydrated raw like Honest Kitchen, Spot Farms, EasyRaw, Grandma Lucy's etc. and the best results if you use commercial frozen ground raw. Downside of dehydrated raw is large poops and cost, downside of frozen raw is inconvenience.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I possible I would start an elimination diet to try and narrow down any food allergies. Also, has your vet tested for MRSA? My Harlea had a similar rash for several months and that is what it wound up being. Took almost another 6 months to get rid of it.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
I would not put dog on Atopica- has a lot more side effects than Apoquel or Cytopoint. Also, ketohex or curaseb are really good shampoos since they contain chlorhexidine and ketoconazole.

Our boy did extremely well with Atopica (and the only thing that helped him long term) and had no side effects, but we kept him on probiotics all the time too. Apoquel was backordered when he started Atopica and once it was available, I was't switching going to switch from something that worked to something more expensive with the potential of being backordered again and may not work. The Atopica as it was was $110 a month from the cheapest place I could find.
Also, he did not do well with chlorhexidine and ketoconazole shampoos either- they were irritating to his skin. What works for some may not work for others and vice versa. People said our bully was one of the healthiest looking ones they ever saw. Your post made me feel very sad and judged.
[MENTION=18081]Mallred[/MENTION], I hope the food change helps your baby soon! You are on the right track!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Our boy did extremely well with Atopica (and the only thing that helped him long term) and had no side effects, but we kept him on probiotics all the time too. Apoquel was backordered when he started Atopica and once it was available, I was't switching going to switch from something that worked to something more expensive with the potential of being backordered again and may not work. The Atopica as it was was $110 a month from the cheapest place I could find.
Also, he did not do well with chlorhexidine and ketoconazole shampoos either- they were irritating to his skin. What works for some may not work for others and vice versa. People said our bully was one of the healthiest looking ones they ever saw. Your post made me feel very sad and judged.
[MENTION=18081]Mallred[/MENTION], I hope the food change helps your baby soon! You are on the right track!

I'm not saying you didn't do the best for your dog, but please don't recommend cyclosporin for other dogs when there are newer healthier alternatives like Cytopoint. ( Apoquel is not that safe either ).

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I'm not saying you didn't do the best for your dog, but please don't recommend cyclosporin for other dogs when there are newer healthier alternatives like Cytopoint. ( Apoquel is not that safe either ).

I think everyone can and should speak on their own personal experiences and not be told they shouldn't. What works for one may not work for another and I think it is good for members to hear all stories so they can make their own informed decision. Jax was on Temeril-P for a couple months when his allergies started because I needed SOMETHING to give him relief. He was an absolute mess and I was not going to let him suffer. Then he got allergy tested and started allergy shots and Apoquel. At the time Apoquel was fairly new and there were no known side effects. Had Atopica been the only option at that time, I am pretty sure I would have went with it. Jax was Apoquel for a few years and did fine and now side effects are coming out. Now he is on Cytopoint and it works wonders but then what's going to happen in a couple years? Side effects will come out and there will be something new to try. That's the cycle of medications. Every medication has potential side effects. Each person needs to weigh the pros and cons and determine what they are comfortable with and what will work for them.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think everyone can and should speak on their own personal experiences and not be told they shouldn't.
Thank you. I can't tell you how much I appreciated your post.
@Dollys Owner
Ask your vet if he may be a candidate for Apoquel or Atopica..
Is what I said.

I didn't recommend anything. I suggested the OP ask about them, for possible help if nothing else is working, which is what happened to us. It's sad to see a dog with such a rash for so long and i know the frustration she must feel when she's trying so hard. Please don't put words in my mouth. My dog had already died when Cytopoint was released. (and like @Cbrugs said - in a few more years, there may be all kinds of warnings about that med too.) Last I checked, you weren't a moderator here, so please don't put words in my mouth and then tell me not to say them. :nonono:

For the record:
[FONT=open_sans]Atopica is the veterinary microemulsified formulation of cyclosporine, which has been available for about 16 years. Atopica mainly affects T cells. The most significant side effect observed is gastrointestinal, with up to 40 percent of patients experiencing this side effect in some studies. I advise owners to give it with a meal instead of on an empty stomach, which brings the prevalence of gastrointestinal upset among my patients to about 5 percent.[/FONT]

[FONT=open_sans]This was the only med avail. for our dog after a year of allergy shots, 2 each time, did nothing. We were not going to let him walk around with staph infections every month, sorry. He did not vomit or ever have diarrhea from this med, and ate well. We saw no side effects. His blood was checked often, and lab results were always in normal range.

[/FONT]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] are very well informed on meds as it’s what they do in life. Probably just a misunderstanding that’s all. :)

Im a firm believer what anyone does with your dogs is their business. Why when I do a post or thread I always say...my 2cents, my opinion, what I personally would do etc etc etc... I don’t always agree with what some members do with their furballs....here it comes...THATS MY OPINION!! Lolll. But....some sure won’t believe in essential oils like I do or holistic treatment before meds like I do etc etc...this is where “we” all should draw a line, breathe and overlook some opinions like sometimes mine. Hey, when my brain starts to go in the French mode while I’m typing English, hell, let me apologize in advance!! So don’t anyone forget!! Can be the 100% Italian size too.

So yes of course, members have the right to do what they want with their furballs, feed them what they want, give them the meds they want or trust. But it’s always good to post what worked for your dogs as it can help others with the same problem. Why we always say...keep us posted. Cause we want to be more knowledgeable.

Now that said...this post IS NOT INTENDED FOR ANYONE!!! It’s just in general. So DONT give me crap...I backfire fast...I blame that Italian side. :coolthumb:

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@helsonwheels
amen.
Yes, def. a misunderstanding as I have never told anyone here to do anything more than wash their bowls, dry their dog's folds, wipe its butt, or try ceramic bowls. I am not a vet nor can I prescribe meds, so me being told I made recs was pretty laughable. There's no harm in asking and educating oneself. And I refuse to let what I went through for years be discounted by a nameless face on the internet. I will shut up on the subject now and wish the OP and her puppy well.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] are very well informed on meds as it’s what they do in life. Probably just a misunderstanding that’s all. :)

Im a firm believer what anyone does with your dogs is their business. Why when I do a post or thread I always say...my 2cents, my opinion, what I personally would do etc etc etc... I don’t always agree with what some members do with their furballs....here it comes...THATS MY OPINION!! Lolll. But....some sure won’t believe in essential oils like I do or holistic treatment before meds like I do etc etc...this is where “we” all should draw a line, breathe and overlook some opinions like sometimes mine. Hey, when my brain starts to go in the French mode while I’m typing English, hell, let me apologize in advance!! So don’t anyone forget!! Can be the 100% Italian size too.

So yes of course, members have the right to do what they want with their furballs, feed them what they want, give them the meds they want or trust. But it’s always good to post what worked for your dogs as it can help others with the same problem. Why we always say...keep us posted. Cause we want to be more knowledgeable.

Now that said...this post IS NOT INTENDED FOR ANYONE!!! It’s just in general. So DONT give me crap...I backfire fast...I blame that Italian side. :coolthumb:

Yup, I agree. But no one should feel they are getting attacked for their posts. This is an awesome forum with awesome members. I’ve left many FB groups because people are so obnoxious.

And yes!!! I got that Italian temper as well...Sicilian to be technical. And I seriously need to see a picture of you cause I am sure the vision in my head doesn’t come closes lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm Italian too. @Cbrugs [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]
Fuggedabout it and let's eat.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yup, I agree. But no one should feel they are getting attacked for their posts. This is an awesome forum with awesome members. I’ve left many FB groups because people are so obnoxious.

And yes!!! I got that Italian temper as well...Sicilian to be technical. And I seriously need to see a picture of you cause I am sure the vision in my head doesn’t come closes lol.

This was about 2yrs ago.
Not what you thought EH? lol
9d989e4e43564f8b6401d8ba7905179e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
This was about 2yrs ago.
Not what you thought EH? lol
9d989e4e43564f8b6401d8ba7905179e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Not at all what I thought!! I had you as a mad scientist with crazy wild hair running around mixing up her essential oils.

I think it would great if there was a “meet the members” thread where we can all say something about ourselves and post a picture. But maybe there is something like that already?? [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]?

Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Not at all what I thought!! I had you as a mad scientist with crazy wild hair running around mixing up her essential oils.

I think it would great if there was a “meet the members” thread where we can all say something about ourselves and post a picture. But maybe there is something like that already?? [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]?

Funny thought of that too so we have a face to the name. Always had a wild look. Should see when I remove my helmet after riding. Whoa

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

We can make a thread... under members only or 4paws. Years ago we did do member spotlights but interest was very low and it required a mod writing the article... we can just make it a normal thread and members participate at will

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We can make a thread... under members only or 4paws. Years ago we did do member spotlights but interest was very low and it required a mod writing the article... we can just make it a normal thread and members participate at will

Let’s do under members only as I’m not sure how many active members are also 4paws. I will start it in a bit.