Osteosarcoma Diagnosis

Rybri79

Apr 19, 2017
Encinitas, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronx
Went in thinking we had a bum elbow, came out with devastating news that our boy Bronx has this bone cancer in front left leg. We are awaiting confirmation from the radiologist, but the vet seemed pretty confident. Outlook is grim. Our options are pain management or amputation and chemo. The vet said our boy is not a great candidate for amputation of his front leg. Any others had this diagnosis? I guess I should search the forums...just kind of at a loss right now.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Went in thinking we had a bum elbow, came out with devastating news that our boy Bronx has this bone cancer in front left leg. We are awaiting confirmation from the radiologist, but the vet seemed pretty confident. Outlook is grim. Our options are pain management or amputation and chemo. The vet said our boy is not a great candidate for amputation of his front leg. Any others had this diagnosis? I guess I should search the forums...just kind of at a loss right now.
I am sorry to hear about your boy Bronx. This is the first time I've heard a bulldog having Osteosarcoma. I am sending you prayers and positive vibes for you, Bronx and your family. I hope there is some hope for your boy Bronx. Keep us posted on his prognosis.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@berlin78 … I think had an amputation on one of her babies, but I think it was a hind leg.
sending you tons of healing prayers for you Bronx boy.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
So sorry to hear this. Sending prayers your way. :hug:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Most of a Bulldog's weight is supported by the front legs. Loss of one of them would be difficult for a YOUNG dog.
I know of one previous instance of this cancer in a Collie(a show Collie). The front left leg was amputated. The cancer reappeared 3 months later. My friend, in hindsight, wished that he had not opted for amputation.
I wish I had more to offer and wish you and Bronx all the best.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So sad for you to hear this diagnoses. Removing a front leg on a bullie would be devastating for him. Most prognoses'
for this is not good. We always want to keep out babies forever.I know he is so young,but love him and spoil him, Don't torture him when his life wouldn't be much longer and painful. I am not a Dr. just my opinion. I want my bullies to live forever, but not suffering... In the long run, it is only your decision. Your prayers will give you the decision.:pray2:

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

That’s horrible and so sad. Sorry to hear he is going thru this.

How old is he?

I have had a dog with cancer, but not this kind.

One thing I can recommend to help improve his quality of life and very possibly give him more time, is Four Leaf Rover brand Immunity 7 mushrooms, that’s what I put my dog with cancer on, great reviews for dogs with cancer(all different kinds of cancer reviews are on), mushrooms is the best for cancer and I give my other 2 dogs that I currently have that mushroom blend, and it’s great for the immune system.

The dog I had with cancer passed less than 2 months ago 10 days before her 9th birthday. She had bladder cancer and it stopped her ability to pee but she was never in pain(the tumour was her entire bladder), she was given 1 month at most before they said she wouldn’t be able to pee, she lasted almost 5 months instead of the 1 month the vet said, and she played lots cause she felt better with the supplements, she never played like this for 2 years! It was incredible that those supplements really helped extend her time with us by 5 months!

So the supplements I had given her was:
-Four Leaf Rover brand Immunity 7 mushrooms(7 shrooms I think it’s called now).
- Pet Well-being Brand - Life Gold which is also for cancer and quality of life.

She was also on bovine colostrum and omegas for allergies too, but the 2 above are for cancer. I would 100% try the four leaf rover 7 mushroom blend for your boy to help with quality of life and help fight the cancer.

I personally wouldn’t do chemo for the dogs, cause they can feel sick during treatment and have not great quality of life. We were given the option to do it for the dog with bladder cancer but we didn’t cause we didn’t want her to feel sick during treatment.
But it’s up to you what route you want to go with him.

What do you feed him?
I would cut the carbs from his diet cause the carbs is what causes cancer and so does low quality foods.
Carbs is what feeds the cancer, and that’s part of why I think my dog with cancer lasted as long as she did cause she was on raw then.
Home cooked or raw is best for cancer dogs.

Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Rybri79 - literally received a newletter from a vet I follow on this topic. Can you send me your email address and I can forward the newsletter to you?