Ibrakeforbrachys

Dec 6, 2017
Tacoma, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Well, here is Bacon post surgery. He is doing pretty good, but I did have a question. Since he has temporary paralysis of the right side of his face, he is drooling a lot more than usual. PLus when he drinks water, he gets pretty wet. I have been trying to keep his chin/neck wiped up, but there's just constant moisture. Can I put something on him, like vaseline to keep his skin from getting irritated? I can already see it's getting pink, and we still have until June 9th with the cone. :(
lampshadebacon.jpg

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Well, here is Bacon post surgery. He is doing pretty good, but I did have a question. Since he has temporary paralysis of the right side of his face, he is drooling a lot more than usual. PLus when he drinks water, he gets pretty wet. I have been trying to keep his chin/neck wiped up, but there's just constant moisture. Can I put something on him, like vaseline to keep his skin from getting irritated? I can already see it's getting pink, and we still have until June 9th with the cone. :(
View attachment 112733

Oh my goodness that sweet face!!!! What happened? Why the surgery?

I am so sorry but I don't have advice, I am still a first time bully mom and have not experienced this sort of issue.

I will tag some of the more knowledgeable members here to stop in, they are brilliant!!

GET BETTER BACON !!!!

Sue and Joey

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Ibrakeforbrachys Yes, please remind of what kind of surgery.... When ever my girls had to wear the cone, for two weeks(nares,entropion) they did wind up with some hotspots. It may be unavoidable. I think putting some kind of vaseline, or another ointment will just make a gooey mess, and dirt,etc. will stick to it. I just tried to dry as best as I could,and sometimes spraying some Vetericyn on the areas. When the cone comes off, Vetericyn will cure any hotspots. Ahh yes the ear ablation....? So happy-he will feel better, and he looks none the worse for wear!!! He is a lucky kid to have you!

OP
Ibrakeforbrachys

Ibrakeforbrachys

Dec 6, 2017
Tacoma, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Yes, it was a TECA. ;) He's actually doing really good... We are hoping the paralysis is temporary, but it can sometimes stay. I hate the cone, and I know he REALLY hates it... lol poor guy!! we've trimmed it down a bit, but he just makes such a mess and bulldozes through the house.. I just keep repeating, it will all be worth it in the end!! lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It took my two a few days to learn how to motivate with the cone,then they got pretty good at it! I remember having bruises on the backs of my calves, as they always follow me(too close) around the house!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You can try one of those inflatable cones. It might be more comfortable for Bacon than the plastic kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yes, it was a TECA. ;) He's actually doing really good... We are hoping the paralysis is temporary, but it can sometimes stay. I hate the cone, and I know he REALLY hates it... lol poor guy!! we've trimmed it down a bit, but he just makes such a mess and bulldozes through the house.. I just keep repeating, it will all be worth it in the end!! lol

To help out any paralysis is B Complexe. It will help to reactivate the facial nervous system. I am a firm believer in B Complexe. But that’s me. I sure would put my dogs on it if I had your issue. Make sure the supplement is for dogs n not for the humans. Also I would rub frankincense from behind the ear to the cheeks as facial nerves just like humans are from back of the ears to cheeks. Of course on forehead too. A lot of human vitamins are “not” fir dogs cause of the synthetic capsules or some oils we use. Example if you give cod liver oil or any fish oil, squeeze the oil out n add to food etc etc.

https://products.mercola.com/healthypets/vitamin-b/

Btw... acana, carna4 & I think it’s natura logic. These kibbles are all made with real vitamins n not synthetic like the rest of kibbles out there.

For the cone of shame...not much you can do. Like mentioned will take a few days for him to het use to...

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Poor little baby......
Looks so sad...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 112733

Try some coconut oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ibrakeforbrachys

Ibrakeforbrachys

Dec 6, 2017
Tacoma, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Thanks everyone. We are plugging along!! His stitches removal is on the 6th, not the 9th. Yay!! lol I know we will all be happier without the cone. He seems to be feeling a bit better every day.

Members online

No members online now.