Marty’s natures blend raw?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I am just going to say that while raw may be the best diet, some people can't afford to feed it or can't feed it for other reasons. Yes, kibble is basically processed food but there are crappy kibbles and there are higher quality kibbles. People need to feed their dogs the best they can and feed what works for them. I would never tell someone that kibble should be a last resort. That just isn't realistic for some people. And there are plenty of ways to enhance a kibble diet.

Calcium and phosphorus ratios are also different for puppies.

Sorry , I wasn’t meaning it like that.

I totally understand that kibble is needed for some reasons, I was just saying that if people want to feed raw but worry about not being balanced, it’s the bone content which provides more calcium and phosphorus than a adult dog food.

Just to be clear- I am not against kibble(maybe that’s how it came across in my response??), I was just saying for people who can or want to feed raw but are worried about the nutrients for puppies.

I know there are very high quality kibble and others are very ‘low quality’.

There definitely is ways to enhance a kibble diet.

Sorry it came across as Im against kibble, the purpose of my response was to share the differences from raw puppy Food to raw adult food, nutrient info. Some people find it interesting. I’m not against kibble in any way, I know very good kibbles that I recommend when people need to feed kibble.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Sorry , I wasn’t meaning it like that.

I totally understand that kibble is needed for some reasons, I was just saying that if people want to feed raw but worry about not being balanced, it’s the bone content which provides more calcium and phosphorus than a adult dog food.

Just to be clear- I am not against kibble(maybe that’s how it came across in my response??), I was just saying for people who can or want to feed raw but are worried about the nutrients for puppies.

I know there are very high quality kibble and others are very ‘low quality’.

There definitely is ways to enhance a kibble diet.

Sorry it came across as Im against kibble, the purpose of my response was to share the differences from raw puppy Food to raw adult food, nutrient info. Some people find it interesting. I’m not against kibble in any way, I know very good kibbles that I recommend when people need to feed kibble.
I definitely took it that way so thank you for clearing that up. 2 of my dogs are raw fed. My girl is not raw fed but she gets raw food here and there along with freeze dried raw as toppers, etc. and she is doing very well.
I just didn't want anyone reading this thread or other threads talking about food to feel bad if they fed kibble.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I definitely took it that way so thank you for clearing that up. 2 of my dogs are raw fed. My girl is not raw fed but she gets raw food here and there along with freeze dried raw as toppers, etc. and she is doing very well.
I just didn't want anyone reading this thread or other threads talking about food to feel bad if they fed kibble.

I’m so Sorry! I feel really bad that It came across as if kibble was bad, I will definitely put my wording differently going forward. When I seen the response I reread my response and thought, oh no hopefully people aren’t thinking I’m against kibble in any way☹️ I am not against kibble.

I totally get why you said what you said, I now will try to put my helpful ‘tips/helpful advice’ in a different way and reread it to make sure it doesn’t sound like I’m against anything.

I don’t want anyone to feel bad when they need to give kibble, especially if they feed good quality kibble.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention so I could clear it up and make sure I’m clear that it was meant for the difference of puppy and adult raw.

I didn’t realize it came across like that!

I’m So sorry again Cbrugs!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I’m so Sorry! I feel really bad that It came across as if kibble was bad, I will definitely put my wording differently going forward. When I seen the response I reread my response and thought, oh no hopefully people aren’t thinking I’m against kibble in any way☹️ I am not against kibble.

I totally get why you said what you said, I now will try to put my helpful ‘tips/helpful advice’ in a different way and reread it to make sure it doesn’t sound like I’m against anything.

I don’t want anyone to feel bad when they need to give kibble, especially if they feed good quality kibble.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention so I could clear it up and make sure I’m clear that it was meant for the difference of puppy and adult raw.

I didn’t realize it came across like that!

I’m So sorry again Cbrugs!
Thank you for the clarification!

OP
TxMom2

TxMom2

May 1, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louise and Chief
a raw diet is a good diet to prevent new health issues. Meat/organs/ bone in frozen raw dog food(thaw it in fridge the day before feeding).

Lots of nutrition in raw diet an it’s fresh for them not processed.
Thank you so much!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Jeez! I’m in the US. On the website it says it’s 29$ per bag, but I couldn’t find the amount in 1 bag. We pay 55$ a bag but it’s a huge bag. But I’m looking to feed something a lot more nutritious and try to prevent them from ongoing health problems.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I say this often raw isn’t for everyone. If you take a high quality kibble, you can simply add raw organs as a topper, give raw marrow bones from your butcher or grocery store in the frozen section and add fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies every other day. If you’re cooking veggies for your supper add a few raw veggies to the dogs meal. Do count these extras as part of the dogs meal or you’ll have a chunky furball.

But do the math as a High Quality kibble isn’t cheap. Mind you in Canada everything is more expensive. Why it can come out to the same price.

Attachments

• 73CE69CF-DB92-43E1-8B9B-998348F714CA.jpeg
    73CE69CF-DB92-43E1-8B9B-998348F714CA.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 74
  • AFD475DC-D444-445A-A456-EA4883E51384.jpeg
    AFD475DC-D444-445A-A456-EA4883E51384.jpeg
    869.1 KB · Views: 72
  • AD5BFBFF-3112-4BDE-9C7A-4628B0CFD28B.jpeg
    AD5BFBFF-3112-4BDE-9C7A-4628B0CFD28B.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 5E2BDE64-5FE6-4B73-915C-B00023EB1448.jpeg
    5E2BDE64-5FE6-4B73-915C-B00023EB1448.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 76
  • BAE83859-3F07-4657-9457-758959D8777F.jpeg
    BAE83859-3F07-4657-9457-758959D8777F.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 70

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Wow. That’s what I’m talking about! I have 2 little kids and my 2 little baby EB’s. Chief is 3 months old and 20 lbs. Louise is 4 months old and 15 lbs. i feed them what the breeder recommended which is Bil-jac puppy food. I also feed them plain Greek yogurt and cottage cheese daily and boiled carrots occasionally. I know I need to go raw but it’s finding the time to make sure I’m feeding them what they can handle and digest in their puppy years. I do plan to go raw though. I’ve been so consumed with Louise and getting her through this pneumonia/bronchitis and vet trips, making sure she doesn’t get over heated with her hypoplastic trachea. Thank you for the advice!

Let me ask you this, you said bone in? So they eat the bone?
Yep.
Chicken bone is much softer than beef or pork or even turkey. My boy is now going on 12 years old and he's not keen on crunching anything denser than chicken bone anymore. He doesn't even like turkey necks anymore which he used to love. He still crunches on rabbit and quail and cornish hen bones so he still has a lot of choices.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Yep.
Chicken bone is much softer than beef or pork or even turkey. My boy is now going on 12 years old and he's not keen on crunching anything denser than chicken bone anymore. He doesn't even like turkey necks anymore which he used to love. He still crunches on rabbit and quail and cornish hen bones so he still has a lot of choices.
Just pointing out for safety sake that @anatess is talking about feeding raw chicken bone here and you should never feed your dogs cooked chicken bone.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@anatess question, when you feed chicken feet, you leave the claws on? My 3 loves chick feet but I remove the claws n cut up the feet into 3 pieces. Once I gave Nyala a whole foot n i had to get in there remove the foot. Sadly her n Jake don’t chew anything they love but inhales it.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
@anatess question, when you feed chicken feet, you leave the claws on? My 3 loves chick feet but I remove the claws n cut up the feet into 3 pieces. Once I gave Nyala a whole foot n i had to get in there remove the foot. Sadly her n Jake don’t chew anything they love but inhales it.
I get chicken feet from the grocery store so it's been processed to remove the "socks" which also removes the claws.

All my dogs have been pretty good at crunching bone. There was a time when they would crunch something like a chicken leg quarter, swallow it, then throw it up, then crunch it some more, then swallow it again. That used to gross me out but it's just part of feeding dogs so I got used to it. They haven't done that in a long time though.

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
My dog is allergic to cooked chicken and cooked beef. I was praying that she would not be allergic to them in raw form but sadly she is :(

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My dog is allergic to cooked chicken and cooked beef. I was praying that she would not be allergic to them in raw form but sadly she is :(

That’s unusual and unfortunate. Poor girl.

What other proteins have you tried in raw??

Has she had any of the following:

Turkey
Lamb
Duck
Pork
Fish(herring is good for allergies)
Venison
Bison(different than beef)
Rabbit
Boar
Rabbit
Kangaroo
Goat

Have you tried any of the above??

Try as many of those as you can to rotate thru to prevent her from becoming allergic to what she eats every day.

If she can have even 4 or more if the above then try to rotate thru all she can have(1 day is Turkey, next day rabbit, next day bison, next day fish).

Just some suggestions😊

OP
TxMom2

TxMom2

May 1, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louise and Chief
I'd go farther to say don't give a dog any cooked bone, not just chicken bone. (y)
Wow that’s interesting… so raw bone is better? Guessing it’s easier for them to chew? What age can you start giving them bones would you say?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.