Leonard

LauralouKS

Aug 4, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonard
Does anyone have any advice as to why a completely healthy 6-year-old English bulldog would start having major diarrhea and vomiting? I have paid for several tests at the vet and I'm $1,000 into it. Just had to buy some more anti nausea medication for 55 bucks for four pills.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sorry Leonard is unwell he could have IBD(irritable bowel) or gastroenteritis,dog flu, a blockage. Make sure he stays hydrated,give him a bland diet, such as chopped meat/rice and give him a probiotic. If the vet doesn't help him-go to a different vet, and don't wait too long!

Last edited:

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Does anyone have any advice as to why a completely healthy 6-year-old English bulldog would start having major diarrhea and vomiting? I have paid for several tests at the vet and I'm $1,000 into it. Just had to buy some more anti nausea medication for 55 bucks for four pills.
I highly recommend getting Adored Beast brand Gut Soothe OR Four Leaf Rover brand Gut Guard.
Both these Probiotics soothe the stomach and are very helpful for vomiting, diarrhea, and acid reflux, IBS and IBD and overall irritated gut.

Try one of those products and it should help him quickly- I always have a jar of Four Leaf Rover Gut Guard on hand in the fridge incase one of the dogs gets into something(very rare), but itā€™s a good thing to have on hand.
If one of my dogs vomits or digestion issue- I immediately start the Gut Guard and then he hasnā€™t vomited again and his poop really starts to improve just after 1 day.

I think it will be very helpful for your dog.
Sometimes dogs will get random upset stomach or irritated gut.

What do you feed him?

Try a raw diet for him and that should definitely help as itā€™s very easy to digest.

If you decide to cook for him- make sure he isnā€™t allergic to rice and tolerates it so that doesnā€™t make him worse(some dogs are allergic to rice and chicken), if your dog is ok with those ingredients try cooking that for him and add the Four Leaf Rover Gut Guard if you can for maximum benefit and quicker healing time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Was there any insight from the testing your vet did? Anything at home change... environment, new person or other pet in home?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Do you have a bird feeder in your yard, or some other heavily bird-trafficked area?

RiccardoVasquez

Apr 5, 2023
Country
GERMANY
Bulldog(s) Names
Mike
I feel your concern. It's tough seeing your pup unwell. Have you checked for dietary changes or allergies? Maybe a second opinion from another vet could help.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
If this was a sudden onset and you have ruled out access to any toxic substances, eating bark or twigs, and yet the vet still has not made a diagnosis based on tests that have been done....if it were me, I'd go to another vet. I had a similar incident when Tebow was 4 months old, new to the home, bright bloody stools. The first vet didn't seem concerned and it had been going on for 4 days. I took him to another vet. The parasite tests were negative & the meds she prescribed didn't work. A vet tech friend suggested another med, Albon (500 mg).... The vet gave me 5 pills ($19.25) and in 24 hrs, no more blood, no more diarrhea. Shame that it took a vet tech to have the solution.... Before I got that medication, I was out almost $500. And if I hadn't pushed for that alternative med, I might have been without my puppy.

Last edited:
OP
L

LauralouKS

Aug 4, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonard
If this was a sudden onset and you have ruled out access to any toxic substances, eating bark or twigs, and yet the vet still has not made a diagnosis based on tests that have been done....if it were me, I'd go to another vet. I had a similar incident when Tebow was 4 months old, new to the home, bright bloody stools. The first vet didn't seem concerned and it had been going on for 4 days. I took him to another vet. The parasite tests were negative & the meds she prescribed didn't work. A vet tech friend suggested another med, Albon (500 mg).... The vet gave me 5 pills ($19.25) and in 24 hrs, no more blood, no more diarrhea. Shame that it took a vet tech to have the solution.... Before I got that medication, I was out almost $500. And if I hadn't pushed for that alternative med, I might have been without my puppy.
Yeah I did go to another vet they gave him steroids and something for stomach acid I asked for Anna nausea medication but it didn't help and we just took him off of it and then he seemed to improve but he still isn't gaining weight. Thank you for your reply.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Yeah I did go to another vet they gave him steroids and something for stomach acid I asked for Anna nausea medication but it didn't help and we just took him off of it and then he seemed to improve but he still isn't gaining weight. Thank you for your reply.
Though vets seem to limit their tests to coccidia and giardia bugs, the most common GI parasites, there are other things to consider. Albon will kill them as well as other single cell parasites. Does Leonard have a yard to roam in? Any toxic plants? Daylilies? Also there are mushrooms and with the wet weather we've had, they are all over. How about yours? A few years ago, a cute little 'room, dark orange with white spots, popped up. Seems they are tasty AND toxic to pets. Pork took just a nibble before I could move him and he was sick the rest of the day. If you have mushrooms, make sure you break them off at the ground with your hand in a bag for protection. Have to make sure that the spores don't spray out and reseed. There are several articles on the web. https://www.petmd.com/dog/slideshows/6-poisonous-mushrooms-are-toxic-dogs

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If youā€™re adding steroids and/or antibiotics, make sure you give a couple spoonfuls of fermented sauerkraut at your health food store as a topper. As steroids and/or antibiotics will destroy the good gut flora which weakens the immune system.

Members online

No members online now.