Introducing bulldog to new baby!

lindshennessy

Jul 11, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise
Hi there! Anyone have advice on how to successfully introduce a new baby to your bulldog? Ours is 3 years old, itā€™s only been her, and we want to make sure we are doing it correctly so she can adjust more easily. Her temperament is very friendly and sweet, but we are concerned she may get jealous of the new baby and the changesā€¦Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Hi there! Anyone have advice on how to successfully introduce a new baby to your bulldog? Ours is 3 years old, itā€™s only been her, and we want to make sure we are doing it correctly so she can adjust more easily. Her temperament is very friendly and sweet, but we are concerned she may get jealous of the new baby and the changesā€¦Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Hey! While I donā€™t know much about babies I do know about jealous dogs!! When you start getting stuff for the baby and eventually bringing them home get ā€œgiftsā€ for the pup anything from treats to toys to an extra bit of play time. Make sure the dog is apart of everything they possibly can!! Iā€™ve also seen people being a doll home and prep the dog to associate the baby with being gentle! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would recommend putting the baby in whatever seat you have for baby, sit on the floor with baby and dog, and explain to dog that it is her new sissy or brother, and we will all be together,and she needs to take care of baby. When people come over, don't ever push dog aside, and don't let anyone else do it. Don't lock dog up when people come. Always include her in anything the same as always. You want her to love the baby, not be jealous of it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
When baby uses a blanket leave it on the floor next to the dog or where the dogs sleeps. The dog will get use to the new smell.

Mellowed

Feb 19, 2024
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Alex
We started by letting Eloise sniff some of the baby's things before the big meet-up, like blankets and clothes. During the first introduction, we made sure to keep things calm and positive ā€“ treats helped a lot! Also, we let Eloise explore the baby's room while supervised to get used to the new smells. To prevent jealousy, we made sure to spend quality one-on-one time with Eloise too. She quickly learned that the baby wasn't a threat, but rather a new buddy to watch over. It's been a joy watching them bond!

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.