Heavy panting after palate surgery

Gjones

Dec 24, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
Hi all.

New to the site. I have some concerns about my 5 year old English bulldogs health. His name is Brock.

Brock just had his 2nd surgery for a prolapsed urethra. They also shaved his soft palate down. He's panting heavily. He looks good and seems to be breathing fine. Is the panting because he's not used to getting so much air?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello! You don't say when he had his surgery. It could be a sign of him having some pain-maybe a sore throat,or elsewhere? If surgery was very recent,try giving him some ice -like snow cone consistency to soothe his throat. I don't think the panting is because he is getting air! I've never had experience with the prolapse-perhaps someone such as [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] will discuss this with you.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
He’s probably in pain. More panting can create a viscous circle. Keep home cool and administer pain meds as prescribed.

OP
G

Gjones

Dec 24, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
Hello! You don't say when he had his surgery. It could be a sign of him having some pain-maybe a sore throat,or elsewhere? If surgery was very recent,try giving him some ice -like snow cone consistency to soothe his throat. I don't think the panting is because he is getting air! I've never had experience with the prolapse-perhaps someone such as [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] will discuss this with you.

He had the surgery on Thursday (3 days ago). We gave him some pain medication and he's relaxed some. He seems to be settling down. We'll try some ice cubes or snow to sooth. Thanks for your help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree... most likely pain... what pain meds and how much per day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Give him the meds as needed. You know what to look for now...panting, restlessness, neediness(more than usual). It will be few more days before he’s over the hump, the pain meds are intended to get him through this period. We give our SP surgery guys canned food for a few days post op. If you do not have canned then soak food in warm water until softened before feeding...draining off excess water.

OP
G

Gjones

Dec 24, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
200 milligrams of Gabapentin every 8-12 hours was prescribed. We think the Gabapentin was making him hyper and causing the panting and pacing. We've stopped giving him the med and he's 100 times better. He slept through the night and is fine today. He's breathing so much better. Thanks again to everyone for replying. Merry Christmas!

OP
G

Gjones

Dec 24, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
IMG_20171225_094438769.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

200 milligrams of Gabapentin every 8-12 hours was prescribed. We think the Gabapentin was making him hyper and causing the panting and pacing. We've stopped giving him the med and he's 100 times better. He slept through the night and is fine today. He's breathing so much better. Thanks again to everyone for replying. Merry Christmas!

Awesome! Hope you had a Merry Christmas! Share more picture of that beautiful boy

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17898]Gjones[/MENTION] So glad that Brock(ly) is doing better! He is a handsome fella'!!:yes:

Members online

No members online now.