OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Just reading could Bruce have a food intolerance to rice?
He has always had chicken but this is the first time he has had rice.

Should I just give him boiked chicken?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just reading could Bruce have a food intolerance to rice?
He has always had chicken but this is the first time he has had rice.

Should I just give him boiked chicken?

Totally possible... Iā€™ve had one allergic to chicken and another that was allergic to rice so anything is possible. I would have the vet do a fecal test to rule out any type of parasites and include a Giardia test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Totally possible... Iā€™ve had one allergic to chicken and another that was allergic to rice so anything is possible. I would have the vet do a fecal test to rule out any type of parasites and include a Giardia test

I have booked an appointment tomorrow at the vets and I'm going to take a sample and tell them I want it testing. This should have been done at my appointment yesterday. Hate to think he is in any pain or discomfort

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have booked an appointment tomorrow at the vets and I'm going to take a sample and tell them I want it testing. This should have been done at my appointment yesterday. Hate to think he is in any pain or discomfort

Eggs can be ā€œgassyā€ why I suggested to remove them. Pumpkin purĆ©e is very good for loose stools. You would need the organic one n NOT the one you do pies with. I would add a good heaping tablespoon with his meal.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Sorry there must be some misunderstanding. I am only giving him the bland diet and have since sunday

For a 20 kg puppy you can give 300 gram of wet food 2 times a day, 600 in total. It wonā€™t be overfeeding, I read yesterday again about amounts of homecooked food and young puppies can get up to 6% of their weight. Adult dogs should get around 3%. So if you give 600 gram a day it wonā€™t be overfeeding.
did his poop improve with bland diet?

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
For a 20 kg puppy you can give 300 gram of wet food 2 times a day, 600 in total. It wonā€™t be overfeeding, I read yesterday again about amounts of homecooked food and young puppies can get up to 6% of their weight. Adult dogs should get around 3%. So if you give 600 gram a day it wonā€™t be overfeeding.
did his poop improve with bland diet?

Thank you for this really helps.

No it has got worse it is just a yellow coloured water now. I have made an appointment to take a sample to the vets today. It have been 7 days no since it started

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for this really helps.

No it has got worse it is just a yellow coloured water now. I have made an appointment to take a sample to the vets today. It have been 7 days no since it started

7days n no improvement is definitely something going on. The gut flora is completely off track. He needs probiotics for sure for the gut back on track. Keep us posted! :)

https://www.darwinspet.com/probiotics-prebiotics-dog/

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/probiotics-vs-prebiotics-does-your-dog-need-both/

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Hi all,

Thank you for your help and advice.

We have been to the vets today and he has been given a 7 day course of anti-biotics. If he is no better in 3 days we have to go back with a sample.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi all,

We have been to the vets today and he has been given a 7 day course of anti-biotics. If he is no better in 3 days we have to go back with a sample.

Ok but make sure youā€™re also feeding him a probiotic as all antibiotics will also kill the good cells especially in the gut. Balance it out.. fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies or a plain Greek yogurt daily:)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi all,

Did they test the sample you brought today?

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Ok but make sure youā€™re also feeding him a probiotic as all antibiotics will also kill the good cells especially in the gut. Balance it out.. fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies or a plain Greek yogurt daily:)

I will go out tomorrow and get some probiotics

Thank you

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
No I could not get a sample.

If I remember correctly.....

When I couldnā€™t bring a stool sample there was an instrument they used to get one at the vet.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Hi all

So now this just happened.

My partner went down at half 12 as he heard Bruce rustling about, let him out then came back to bed. Half an hour later he went back down as he heard him again. This is what he walked into

20191025_015639.jpg

He has had an allergic reaction to something. An emergency out of hours trip to the vet. He has had an injection and the swelling should be gone by the morning.

Vet has no idea what could have caused this. He said it couldn't have been the antibiotics as these were taken at 10am and 6pm and this happened at 12:30am.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh no! Darn hivesā€” so hard to find why it happens. Feel better soon buddy

Members online

No members online now.