Allergies and or Uninterested in Food - Time to Switch???

NorahsMum

Jan 5, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norah
Hi All!

We adopted our puppy Norah a little over a week ago, she's eleven weeks old today. The breeder had her on Purina Pro Puppy Chicken and Rice, and I immediately researched and wanted to switch her to something higher quality. We decided on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy (Chicken), and have slowly made the switch this week (we're at about 80/20 currently). HOWEVER, a few things are concerning me (typical worrier dog-mom) and I'm thinking we should switch AGAIN... Issues below:

-She's chasing and gnawing on one of her hind legs - thought this was teething, but now thinking allergies?
-Her face is a tiny bit pink, and she is getting mild tear stains
-Her gas can clear a room
-Eyes are a bit red, vet has confirmed no cherry eye
-Last but not least: She's become somewhat disinterested in eating the food. Not sure if it's the stainless steel bowls that make her wary, but she's just not that into it. I have to keep getting her attention, putting the food up and then making her wait until the next meal etc. I know it's silly, but I want her to have a food she enjoys eating and gets excited about... Tried yogurt on it, but that gave her extra runny poop.

Should I switch to Fromm's? Seems crazy because we haven't even 100% switched from breeder food, but am re-thinking what I'm giving her now. For reference she's being fed 3/4 cup 3x daily, maybe it's too much food?

Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• Norah.jpg
    Norah.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 145

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
First of all welcome to you and Norah! She is such a cutie pie!

Good job on taking her off the Purina but I would also take her off the Blue Buffalo as they have had some recalls. Most members here that feed kibble usually stick with Acana, Orijen, Fromm or Zignature...all are a high quality food. Also, some people stay away from chicken all together as some bulldogs have issues with it. Finding the right food is key and you will definitely notice a difference. You can also add in a probiotic if you aren't already.

OP
N

NorahsMum

Jan 5, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norah
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] thank you!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Food sometimes takes long to find right one, for my dog industrial food never worked. He had runny poop even on Acana and Fromm. So I homecook.
What concerns chasing and biting hind leg, most probably something is wrong with her rear area, check anal glands and tail pocket. They cannot reach there and often bite hind paw.

Dakota Bully

Sep 23, 2016
North Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Diesel, Alise, Pia & Piglet Wiggle Britches
I am so glad you got him off the Purina! I am embarrassed that any breeder would have their pups on that food:ashamed:. The other brands mentioned here are all good. I believe Zignature has very limited ingredients and that may help, but they are all good. I have heard about the chicken as well so I would try a salmon, kangaroo or something. I do some gluten free, grain free kibble along with partial RAW diet and mine do very well. I also give coconut oil in their morning feeding and salmon or fish oil in their evening feeding. I do give them a probiotic every morning. You may have to try a few until you find something that works. Norah is a little cutie and I hope you can get her food problems figured out soon so you can all really enjoy one another!! Welcome!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I think the best kibble is Carna4 duck ( available at Global Pet Foods ) . It will be even better if you switch to dehydrated raw, has to be one that is rated ok for all life stages ( eg. Honest kitchen Spruce, Only Natural EasyRaw turkey, Spot Farms grain free turkey etc ) . The best would be a ground up frozen raw dog food that you can buy from pet food store eg. Tollden Farms, NatuRAWLs, etc.

I agree with adding salmon oil ( from squeezed out capsules ) in some meals and coconut oil in others, as well as Vitamin E natural source once a week. I also like to add turmeric powder ( with some ground up pepper or a commercial supplement that has bioperene for absorption ) and kelp powder ( http://https://www.amazon.ca/Organic-Kelp-Powder-453-Botanicals/dp/B004XIS14M )

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN.... Norah is freakin adorable!

I would also leave the Blue Wilderness... they are made by Diamond and have so many recalls. Some of the best kibble based on member experience is... avoid chicken and grains

Raw is always best
Dehydrated raw -- like The Honest Kitchen
Kibbles:

Acana
Orijen
Zingnature
Fromm
Earhtborn Hoslistic

best of luck! Keep those pictures coming

Members online

No members online now.