Advice needed for treatment of bulldog acne

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
I would love some advice. Tuffy's continues to chronic bulldog acne. :( He's only 10 months old and the vet says it's quite common in bulldogs, especially for the first year of their lives. Tuffy's had two rounds of cephalexin and it helps but once he stops taking the pills it comes back. I've read that sometimes you need to go on a longer course (few months of antibiotics) for chronic cases. The acne doesn't bother him and it's strictly a cosmetic thing at this point. The vet is having us use a medicated shampoo hexadene every day and said it's not severe enough to warrant a trip to a dog dermatologist. So I guess my question is should I go for another round of antibiotics or let it run it's course till he's a year or so and then take another look? I know that giving antibiotics can weaken the immune system so I'm torn.... Other than his muzzle and chin he has no other skin issues. Fortunately his coat his thick and shiny.

I've also read that there are other topical ointments that you can try...like benzoyl peroxide shampoo (OxyDex or Pyoben gel). Has anyone tried that or had any success with other topical treatments? We've tried Stridex in the past but it made his zits burst and his skin got really red. I'd like to find something to soothe his chin when the zits scab over because right now his chin looks really chapped and dry...photo below.

P1060495-1.jpg

To boost his immune system, I'm planning to put him on a NuVet plus vitamin supplement and am also looking to switch him to a grain free food because his current commercial kibble has corn in it and I'm sure that's not helping his skin issues. It gives him good poop (that's why he put him on it before running the holistic course) but it's not a food I want to keep him longterm.

Thanks....

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I have a problem with "Puppy Acne" with my PUG, and have found that Stridex works sometimes, but the real trick is to keep the face clean. The other problem with my PUG was the rubber toys. She could not have any rubber toys - it was aggravating the acne. The other issue, which you have already addressed, is the Immune System. Until their Immune System kicks in and matures, this will be a problem.
But I've found that adding the Probiotics and digestive enzymes, that alot of her skin problems have subsided. And Yes, a GRAIN-FREE Food is imperative, and will make all the difference.......

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would wait to do more antibiotics kimrisa. This only masks the real problem. Finding what is causing the problem is the solution. If it does not bother him, then going with antibiotics is not needed.

Adding nuvet is a good idea, it certainly won't hurt, but my main concern is the food situation. I know you are looking for good dog foods, so I am going to suggest trying avoderm. After trying many foods I put my babies back on it and in 1 week you can see the difference in their coat. Not only that, but it smells good! (the food and their coat)!!! When I open the dog food container I actually will take a huge sniff cuz it smells great, and they do not seem gassy at all.

Also add salmon oil. This is soooo good for them!!

If you want, you can create a diary here. You can add your daily food cycle, what treats, anything you can think of. What he did. Where he went. When you give him a bath. Then you have a reference of what and when. I plan on doing one
myself. We took the blog section off but we plan on reinstating it just for this purpose. You can find it at http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/blog.php

We should all start a blog! :D

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
What kind of bowls do you use for his food and water? This is from bullwrinkle.com:

"A Bulldog should eat out of a pan which has a flat bottom and straight sides. Most Bulldoggers use stainless steel because, it not only lasts longer, it is also the most sterile. Bulldogs tend to break out with pimples when using other types of bowls. Never use plastic either for his food or his water."

mactaz35

Jul 12, 2010
Dallas, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
TAZ (age 4) and Gracie (18mo) (allie died @ age 3 from anaphylaxis to her vacinations)
you can get gentamycin pads from the vet and they also have me use the gentamycin ointment that I sometimes use when taz get yeast in his ears.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Bentley and Linus both had a case of bulldog acne that cleared up with age...similar to a teenager!! I usually just washed them up a little better during a breakout but I don't know if there's much you can do to prevent them. I would echo desertsky's sentiment and also be hesitant to use antibiotics on a cosmetic issue because when you really need them, for an infection that is making the bullie sick or something, they could potentially be less effective.

OP
Kimrisa

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice. The food diary is a great idea and I'll also ask the vet about the gentamycin pads/ointment. I agree that putting him on antibiotics seems unnecessary at this time. I'm going to also look at the avoderm food. I was considering TOTW Pacific Stream but then I heard from a lot of folks that it made their bullies get head shakes and bad skin problems. It's so hard finding the right food but I'm definitely going to try grain free next!!

I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again!!

OP
Kimrisa

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
I know you are looking for good dog foods, so I am going to suggest trying avoderm. After trying many foods I put my babies back on it and in 1 week you can see the difference in their coat. Not only that, but it smells good! (the food and their coat)!!! When I open the dog food container I actually will take a huge sniff cuz it smells great, and they do not seem gassy at all.

Can you tell me what formula of Avoderm you've had success with? I've had some tummy issues with Tuffy previously on Chicken so I'm thinking Lamb might be better if I decide to give Avoderm a try. I notice that this is not grain free, however. Have you tried grain free foods as well and found Avoderm is better for skin issues? Thanks!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
it has no corn, soy or wheat. Corn and wheat is what you want to avoid. I am currently using lamb and rice formula. Try giving tuffy boiled hamburger and rice for a day, I suggest this because tuffy has such a problem changing foods. Then add 1/2 food with 1/2 rice for a day, then next day go just food. I give my adults 1 c twice daily. Please let us know how it goes!! Wait until you smell it, smells good!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.