Starting to cook my own food

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
In case you didn't know dear twice just lost her abby to kidney failure a few months ago n she gave her more of a life than she would have had otherwise because of all her research n just doing it day in and day out so she really does understand what she is talking about here . Just FYI for you n anyone else.

Good to know. I don't doubt she understands what she's talking about here. I did not disagree with what she said. That's not what we're ping-ponging about. We're ping-ponging a mere miscommunication.

And I know where EXACTLY the miscommunication is. And it is merely triggered by my statement that the protein rule-of-thumb does not apply to dogs with kidney problems because protein is a controlled variable in kidney management. And Twice would know that statement is true because she's been through that. Twice took my statement to mean that dogs with kidney problems need a low-protein diet (which I never said nor implied). Not that it matters but I've mentioned a lot here that my mom runs a rescue... I was only 8 when a dog I was caring for died of kidney failure... and my aunt is currently battling kidney failure... and we Filipinos don't carry health insurance, so we get to take turns caring for the family). So, I know what I'm talking about. But then, this is the internet... my word does not matter. Only how much credibility you put on my words matter. And you and I, cowsmom, have been ping-ponging too.

And I've derailed this thread far too much...

Last edited:

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Well, I feed Amber homemade food and dehydrated treats. For her groceries I use ground beef, fish, turkey or chicken. Since your bully has the potential to be allergic to chicken it sounds like you are using caution and going with the fish or beef which is a good choice. How I cook Ambers: boil or fry the meat (in the case of fish I bake them for a few minutes (whiting or salmon is great for their coats)), then I add carrots or green beans and sometimes I use the mixed vegetables. Amber gets gassy from beans so I have a lower carb base in her food but I do put eggs and cheese in her food (raw eggs mixed in). What I have found over many years of experimenting is the lower the carb base the less yeast builds up. Yeast has to have carbs to build up in their system so I watch those carbs fairly close, I do use some rice but it is minimal (maybe one cup to 3 pounds of meat). I buy all the roast on sale I can and make beef jerky regularly; the dehydrator is always running in my house, I have an excalibar and it is large and does a wonderful job. Amber also gets carrots regularly; she digs those up on demand from the garden and will eat sweet potatoes raw (makes a total mess and only on occassion gets those). I also make her vegetable patties (ground squash, eggs, spinach, salt and pepper) and I bake them. She loves them and so does the rest of the family. Lastly, Amber loves the occassional popcorn treat but we don't give her more than a few pieces (maybe 5 or 6 pieces). I do have a little problems with tear stains but that is part from her drinking out of the Kio pond and tap water. They aren't unsightly but I know they are there; she has a dark mask under her eyes so they are not prominent. I hope this helps and good luck with the puppy. If it is any assistance, anyone that sees Amber wants to touch her because her coat shines like the sun and she rarely if even has any smell to her other than lavender and lemon. :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I assume the brown rice is okay?

I also read that people are feeding them eggs. Should I place a few in?

Any more advice or recipes would be helpful.

I understood, and others should chime in with their thoughts, but brown rice is more difficult for dogs to digest (compared to humans). I usually give my guys white rice or, if i do make brown rice, I will combine a little to the white rice.

As far as the eggs go, it's a great source of protein, so just to mix things up, I will give them a sunny side up egg over their rice and veggies in place of their usual protein.