Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 72

Thread: Diarrhoea

  1. #1
    Kennel Cleaner Amy89's Avatar
    Country
    United kingdom
    Posts
    95
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)
    151

    Default Diarrhoea

    Hi all, help or advice is much appreciated

    We have been to the vets today as Bruce has had an upset tummy for 5 days now.

    He is drinking and seems normal in himself just quite bad diarrhoea.

    The vet has advised we keep him on a diet of chicken, rice, eggs and potatoes for the next 5 days.

    I am just concerned about the amount to give him as he seems to be starving. He is 6 months old and is on 2 feeds a day usually with his kibble around 300-400g.

    I am feeding him little and often whilst his tummy settles back down but he seems so hungry. I want to ensure he gets the right amount of food to help with his development and growth but at the same time dont want to upset his tummy more or start to over feed him.

    What do I do?

  2. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  3. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    44,705
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    15916

    Default Diarrhoea

    @helsonwheels help with the metrics, please.

    I would give at least 1 1/2 cups per meal...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  4. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  5. #3
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,579
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11624

    Default Re: Diarrhoea

    Quote Originally Posted by Amy89 View Post
    Hi all, help or advice is much appreciated

    We have been to the vets today as Bruce has had an upset tummy for 5 days now.

    He is drinking and seems normal in himself just quite bad diarrhoea.

    The vet has advised we keep him on a diet of chicken, rice, eggs and potatoes for the next 5 days.

    I am just concerned about the amount to give him as he seems to be starving. He is 6 months old and is on 2 feeds a day usually with his kibble around 300-400g.

    I am feeding him little and often whilst his tummy settles back down but he seems so hungry. I want to ensure he gets the right amount of food to help with his development and growth but at the same time dont want to upset his tummy more or start to over feed him.

    What do I do?
    Hereís the conversion

    Donít forget measuring butter, water, flour will have a slight difference... goes by density. Example butter 113g. and flour 64g for a 1/2 cup. Why Iím giving the formula below for your measurements. Also when youíre feeding real food or raw, dogs all seems to be starving as itís digested fast because itís much lighter n doesnít sit in the stomach like kibbles. You mentioned 2 feeds a day usually with his kibble around 300-400g. 454g is one pound thatís a lot. He doesnít need more. Now just double checking here, youíre not feeding him 2x a day 300-400g? Cause thatís a lot of food even for me

    1/3 cup 76 grams.
    1/2 cup 113 grams.
    1 cup 227 grams

  6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  7. #4
    Kennel Cleaner Amy89's Avatar
    Country
    United kingdom
    Posts
    95
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)
    151

    Default Re: Diarrhoea

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Here’s the conversion

    Don’t forget measuring butter, water, flour will have a slight difference... goes by density. Example butter 113g. and flour 64g for a 1/2 cup. Why I’m giving the formula below for your measurements. Also when you’re feeding real food or raw, dogs all seems to be starving as it’s digested fast because it’s much lighter n doesn’t sit in the stomach like kibbles. You mentioned 2 feeds a day usually with his kibble around 300-400g. 454g is one pound that’s a lot. He doesn’t need more. Now just double checking here, you’re not feeding him 2x a day 300-400g? Cause that’s a lot of food even for me

    1/3 cup 76 grams.
    1/2 cup 113 grams.
    1 cup 227 grams
    Hi thank you for the advice

    No I feed him 300-400g shared across both feeds.

  8. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
  9. #5
    Dog Show Judge cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,764
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2616

    Default Re: Diarrhoea

    Poor Bruce! Here vets say it's more important that dogs drink than that they eat. We stick to small portions when Castor's tummy is upset. I cook pudding rice (round rice) in lots of water (at least twice as much as usual) and let it boil for 40-60 mins on low heat. I add chicken or minced meat after a while plus more water if needed. Nothing else. When the 'soup' has cooled off, Castor gets 1-2 dl, 2-3 times a day.

    Bruce is so young that it is probably more important that he eats, but on the other hand, you don't want to feed him so much that his tummy cannot handle it. Small portions across the day I would think is the best strategy (but I am no vet so trust your vet's recommendations on portion size!).


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  10. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels, Amy89 liked this post
  11. #6
    Rescue Volunteer Lalaloopsie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Location
    Cape Town, SA
    Posts
    1,622
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    2687

    Default Re: Diarrhoea

    300-400 grams of wet food not equivalent in nutrients to 300-400 gr of kibble, as kibble is very concentrated food. He might need a bit more. What is your puppy’s weight? Normally it is recommended to take weight in kg and feed 3% of his weight. But I feed my dog more, I cook at home for him, I feed Around 5-6%, he is 25 kg and gets 1200 gram of food a day in two portions, and he is not fat. He is quite active boy. But as you don’t want to overfeed you puppy with upset tummy may be look at 3%. Another option - just try to add a bit to each meal, like 25-30 grams and see if he looks more satisfied.

  12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  13. #7
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,157
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    5389

    Default Re: Diarrhoea

    Was he tested for parasites?

  14. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  15. #8
    Kennel Cleaner Amy89's Avatar
    Country
    United kingdom
    Posts
    95
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)
    151

    Default Re: Diarrhoea

    He was not tested for anything.
    The vets asked questions, took his temperature and felt around. He then said just give him another 5 days on a diet of chicken, rice, egg and potatoes

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lalaloopsie View Post
    300-400 grams of wet food not equivalent in nutrients to 300-400 gr of kibble, as kibble is very concentrated food. He might need a bit more. What is your puppy’s weight? Normally it is recommended to take weight in kg and feed 3% of his weight. But I feed my dog more, I cook at home for him, I feed Around 5-6%, he is 25 kg and gets 1200 gram of food a day in two portions, and he is not fat. He is quite active boy. But as you don’t want to overfeed you puppy with upset tummy may be look at 3%. Another option - just try to add a bit to each meal, like 25-30 grams and see if he looks more satisfied.
    His weight is 20kg

  16. #9
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,579
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11624

    Default Re: Diarrhoea

    @2BullyMama 20k is 44lbs.
    @Amy89 yes follow your Vet’s advise 1lb or your 400g is good as you don’t want to over feed him right now. Needs to clean his inside so you can’t stuff him. Why you mixing his kibbles with the bland diet? Why not just the bland diet?

  17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  18. #10
    Kennel Cleaner Amy89's Avatar
    Country
    United kingdom
    Posts
    95
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)
    151

    Default Re: Diarrhoea

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    @2BullyMama 20k is 44lbs.
    @Amy89 yes follow your Vet’s advise 1lb or your 400g is good as you don’t want to over feed him right now. Needs to clean his inside so you can’t stuff him. Why you mixing his kibbles with the bland diet? Why not just the bland diet?
    Sorry there must be some misunderstanding. I am only giving him the bland diet and have since sunday

  19. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
  20. #11
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,157
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    5389

    Default Re: Diarrhoea

    Quote Originally Posted by Amy89 View Post
    He was not tested for anything.
    The vets asked questions, took his temperature and felt around. He then said just give him another 5 days on a diet of chicken, rice, egg and potatoes

    - - - Updated - - -



    His weight is 20kg
    It might be worth having a fecal test done to rule out parasites. Giardia and others can cause diarrhea.

  21. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
  22. #12
    Kennel Cleaner Amy89's Avatar
    Country
    United kingdom
    Posts
    95
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)
    151

    Default Re: Diarrhoea

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    It might be worth having a fecal test done to rule out parasites. Giardia and others can cause diarrhea.
    I will give him till sunday as the vets said and if he is no better take him back and demand some tests.

    He has been bad since Friday and been on a bland diet since sunday

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •