Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used Royal Canin?

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nacho
    Likes (Received)

Default Has anyone used Royal Canin?

I've heard so many mixed opinions about the brand. My vet actually suggested it but ive heard not so good stories about it. Nacho is currently on Merricks which i heard is best. Is there anyone who actually uses Royal and can give me some feedback on it? Reviews on Chewy and every other website are pretty much 5 stars...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nacho
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Has anyone used Royal Canin?

For some reason your link wont open.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nachothebulldog View Post
    I've heard so many mixed opinions about the brand. My vet actually suggested it but ive heard not so good stories about it. Nacho is currently on Merricks which i heard is best. Is there anyone who actually uses Royal and can give me some feedback on it? Reviews on Chewy and every other website are pretty much 5 stars...

RC is total crap food.... fillers, grains and feathers. Some vet gets a kick back for selling it so be careful with that.

Look on dogfoodadvisor.com Merrick is a much better food for your baby

----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Royal Canin is one of the brands many vets sell (at least here), and consequently a brand that vets might want to recommend. When Castor had some staph infection and ear infections, the vet thought it might be food allergy and recommended a special kind of Royal Canin called Hypoallergenic. Now, it didn't make any difference for Castor's allergy (if it indeed is allergy - we don't know) but it actually worked well with his sensitive tummy, and although we don't use it for food anymore, we used the remainers in the last bag as training treats for a long time. Castor likes it. So I wouldn't rule RC out completely. Many dogs do well on RC and on some other brands that not always get very high ratings.

If you want to try a high-quality kibble, you might want to look at Orijen or Acana, which are Canadian brands. Castor does fine on Orijen now as an adult but it was too rich for him when he was a pup, I think. Runny stools, and this is not what you want in a pup!

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

6. Likes 2BullyMama, nachothebulldog liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Oh, addition to my post above: I think that RC might have different lists of ingredients in different parts of the world. I seem to remember that I compared US and European (for the Hypoallergenic, that is - it's a special veterinary diet version) and they were not the same.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

8. Likes nachothebulldog liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

On the forum page read: Bulldog food and Nutrition @nachothebulldog
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N
    Likes (Received)

Punk is on RC since she was a pup. So far, she had done well with it. She is extremely healthy - according to the vet, heavily muscled - which helps with her hip dysplasia. I really think it a hit or miss. Some dogs do okay - some do not. There are a lot of good foods out there - sometimes a hard choice on which one. I started using RC because the size of the kibble - Punk would inhale and the bigger kibble makes her slow down. Now, if she does happen to get issues with it as she gets older - she is 8.5 year old, then I will not hesitate to try something new. I don't know if this helps any, but good luck with whichever food you do get.

11. Likes nachothebulldog liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nacho
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Annie1991 View Post
    Punk is on RC since she was a pup. So far, she had done well with it. She is extremely healthy - according to the vet, heavily muscled - which helps with her hip dysplasia. I really think it a hit or miss. Some dogs do okay - some do not. There are a lot of good foods out there - sometimes a hard choice on which one. I started using RC because the size of the kibble - Punk would inhale and the bigger kibble makes her slow down. Now, if she does happen to get issues with it as she gets older - she is 8.5 year old, then I will not hesitate to try something new. I don't know if this helps any, but good luck with whichever food you do get.
    Very helpful! Thank you! Good to hear possitive feedback from someone who actually uses it!

Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

It's strange how dogs seem to do great on the dog foods with byproducts and fillers. Lots of dogs do great on foods like Royal Canin and Purina Pro Plan. My dogs were both on really inexpensive dog foods (Actr1um from Walmart Canada, and Purina Pro Plan) when I got them, and since then I have them both on raw dehydrated and you can't see any difference. However I anticipate less vet bills in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie1991 View Post

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster 2013 - Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 RIP
    Likes (Received)

Monty was on RC when we got him. He had dry, flaky skin, rough coat and goopy eyes. I changed foods (we have had a few changes!) and we haven't had a problem with his skin since. He will still get goopy eyes sometimes from allergies. I am with @Dollys Owner, anticipating the better food to pay off but also knowing I am giving him a good quality food now.

Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

-zipped-lips-jpeg

Im done repeating..... lollll

16. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads