Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help picking new puppy

Default help picking new puppy

So i am finally ready to purchase my first bully puppy, and was hoping for some help. I have found a local reputable breeder an the puppy i think i want.

What questions should i be asking the breeder? what type of health guarantee is standard? what should i be looking for in a healthy puppy?

Thank You

Cooper11

Default Re: help picking new puppy

I have a health warranty of a year for Cooper and Gracie.....I think you yourself this is a good can tell if you have a feeling that breeder than you are probably right...Is there anyway to get in contact with any one that has purchased puppies from them...That was one thing I liked was they had Facebook and I could talk to ALOT of people who had gotten puppies from them. If you haven't yet you need to go to their house and check out the place where your puppy is going to be coming from. Should be clean and should see healthy adults and puppies. If you have an inkling that something isn't right back off and find a new breeder.

thank you for the reply. one more question to help me solve a dispute with the wife...

do bullys slober.often? she had a friend who owned one that had to keep a slober rag available all the time. i have.never noticed it on any i have been around.

Cooper11

Quote Originally Posted by Dissident View Post
    thank you for the reply. one more question to help me solve a dispute with the wife...

do bullys slober.often? she had a friend who owned one that had to keep a slober rag available all the time. i have.never noticed it on any i have been around.
    So funny these are questions I asked the others who bought bullies from this breeder. They pry thought I was annoying. They Do shed, they DO , sometimes bad! As for slobber some bullies slobber some don't. I have Cooper and he does not slobber just sitting her but he will a little if there is food that smells really good and it is hella mess when he drinks it is just all over his face slobbing all over the floor. As I sit and type he is right by me and dry as can me. My mom has his sister and she doesn't slobber either. I live by some one who has another English Bulldog and she doesn't slobber either...Tell you wife she is going to LOVE this dog and will be obsessed. Believe me she and you will!!!!! They are just and awesome funny breed. The positives def outweigh the negatives. And look now you have some one to blame the smell on when you

Cooper11

Just make sure you do your researach about the health problems they can get and allergies. Where ever you go an English Bulldog is always the center of attention! I have owned many dogs and different breeds and there is no breed to compare. They are a breed of themselves. They are the funniest most awesome dogs ever! When I got Cooper I wold never have guess I would be this into and crazy about a dog but I am and so Is my mom....heck so are all of us this website! I am sooo excited for you and your family to get your baby! You will not regret it!!! I was worried about the shedding and slobber too ...he does shed but I vacuum everyday and it really doesn't bother me...I love his too much! I have never owned a dog that sheds and said I never would! Can't wait to see pics!!

ImAGuinneyPig

To ME, this is what a reputable breeder does (and it's A LOT):

-registered with AKC (or equivalent REPUTABLE club, CKC here in Canada)
    -breeding to BETTER the breed, not to make a quick buck
    -written health guarantee
    -both sire AND dam have all health clearances -- for Bulldogs that means cleared hips, elbows, and knees from OFA, and eyes from CERF
    -both sire and dam health checked with vet prior to pairing
    -made sure sire and dam were a good "match" or complimentary - didn't just breed any male and female because it's convenient/nearby/cheap
    -willing to take the puppy back anytime during its life should your circumstances change
    -does not send puppies home with new family until 8 weeks or older
    -belongs to the breed club
    -will not breed any stock that was not health cleared or has congenital disease, genetic defect
    -only breeds excellent temperaments
    -provides proper care (vet, socialization, health, nutrition, exercise, etc.) for ALL of their dogs
    -thoroughly screens all potential new owners
    -supports you throughout the life of your puppy - will stay in touch
    -does not over-breed
    -does not sell their puppies to brokers or pet stores
    -has a spay/neuter contract
    -supplies references from previous buyers
    -registers the litter and provides the documentation
    -does not breed a b*tch or dog under the age of 2
    -very knowledgable about the breed
    -breeds to the standard
    -doesn't breed "rare" colours and charge more for them
    -shows their dogs in some form - conformation, field trials, agility, obedience, herding, etc.
    -usually involved in breed rescue
    -will have you sign a contract
    -all dogs, b*tches and litters are kept in safe, clean, and comfortable environment

I think that's it
    Last edited by ImAGuinneyPig; 03-06-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ImAGuinneyPig View Post
    To ME, this is what a reputable breeder does (and it's A LOT):

-registered with AKC (or equivalent REPUTABLE club, CKC here in Canada)
    -breeding to BETTER the breed, not to make a quick buck
    -written health guarantee
    -both sire AND dam have all health clearances -- for Bulldogs that means cleared hips, elbows, and knees from OFA, and eyes from CERF
    -both sire and dam health checked with vet prior to pairing
    -made sure sire and dam were a good "match" or complimentary - didn't just breed any male and female because it's convenient/nearby/cheap
    -willing to take the puppy back anytime during its life should your circumstances change
    -does not send puppies home with new family until 8 weeks or older
    -belongs to the breed club
    -will not breed any stock that was not health cleared or has congenital disease, genetic defect
    -only breeds excellent temperaments
    -provides proper care (vet, socialization, health, nutrition, exercise, etc.) for ALL of their dogs
    -thoroughly screens all potential new owners
    -supports you throughout the life of your puppy - will stay in touch
    -does not over-breed
    -does not sell their puppies to brokers or pet stores
    -has a spay/neuter contract
    -supplies references from previous buyers
    -registers the litter and provides the documentation
    -does not breed a b*tch or dog under the age of 2
    -very knowledgable about the breed
    -breeds to the standard
    -doesn't breed "rare" colours and charge more for them
    -shows their dogs in some form - conformation, field trials, agility, obedience, herding, etc.
    -usually involved in breed rescue
    -will have you sign a contract
    -all dogs, b*tches and litters are kept in safe, clean, and comfortable environment

I think that's it

Excellent points... Thanx for taking the time to make that list.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

None of my bullies slobber..

Thank you everyone for the help. I can tell you the breeder offered a 1 year heart and hip guarantee, provided pedigrees for both parents, does show their dogs, and seems to have been doing so for years.

They did not really screen me, although I went in asking a lot of health and background info, so I probably came off as someone who knew what he was getting into. I need to make a deposit on the puppy, however I am out of tow until Thursday. I hope he is still available then, but if not I guess it was npt meant to be.

Well I got back home today from my trip, and the puppy was sold.

So now my question would be, can anyone recommend a breeder in Florida, or possibly southern Georgia?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dissident View Post
    Well I got back home today from my trip, and the puppy was sold. So now my question would be, can anyone recommend a breeder in Florida, or possibly southern Georgia?
    @KMARINO .... what is the one that she needs to stay away from that is down there??
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Macy Elizabeth
    Likes (Received)

My macy is only 6 months old. She only slobbers her water all over the place. And i mean all over the place...icckk. Lol

Kelly aka Macy's Momma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads