Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Honest Kitchen

  1. #1

    Default Honest Kitchen

    Ok, got my first honest kitchen today. Looks like according to weight he should get 2 cups daily. So I am dividing that into 1 cup twice daily. Question, what consistency is the food supposed to be? I expected soft or mushy but it was more watery. I added 1 1/2 cup warm water to 1 cup of feed and waited the 3 minutes. It just seemed too watery and he had difficulty eating it all. He actually regurgitated a little bit. He is not a small bulldog. He is 85 pounds so didn't feel amount was too much. It was like he filled up on the liquid. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    aprilemari's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,845
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Fox
    Likes (Received)
    422

    Default Re: Honest Kitchen

    i don't use that brand, but others who do will be along to help. We feed raw and freeze dried raw, and I think its important that the water be incorporated as instructed. Our raw fed bully drinks way less water than our kibble fed bully because of the moisture intake.

  3. Likes apennycuff, TyTysmom liked this post
  4. #3
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,475
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6235

    Default Re: Honest Kitchen

    Quote Originally Posted by apennycuff View Post
    Ok, got my first honest kitchen today. Looks like according to weight he should get 2 cups daily. So I am dividing that into 1 cup twice daily. Question, what consistency is the food supposed to be? I expected soft or mushy but it was more watery. I added 1 1/2 cup warm water to 1 cup of feed and waited the 3 minutes. It just seemed too watery and he had difficulty eating it all. He actually regurgitated a little bit. He is not a small bulldog. He is 85 pounds so didn't feel amount was too much. It was like he filled up on the liquid. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We feed THK, my best recommendation is to pre-prep the meals. It gives the water time to get absorbed. I found that making it "at" feeding time took too long, and it was too watery... so what we do now is prep ahead... I have a tupperware dedicated just for it. I prep it at each meal time for the next, if that makes sense. So go ahead and mix his dinner portion now, and place it in the fridge. Tonight after his dinner, mix his next meal (breakfast) it works well, and you will get the stew like consistency. Plus saves time! You don't have to sit there and wait for it......... works great for us. I add a bit of warm water at meal time so its not cold Let me know how that works for you!

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  5. #4
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Posts
    3,907
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)
    3300

    Default Re: Honest Kitchen

    Almost the same as this but,,,,,,, I do for two meals at a time, then soak the next overnight... Not strict about it, but pretty close to that... I also use warm water (from my tea kettle) to soak it and I think that does the trick as well. And then, in the morn, use my tea kettle water to 'warm it up'... I remember someone else talking about the consistency being watery, but thickens up real well for us... all three that we use..... kindly (add our protein) preference(add our own protein) and Marvel, the one that has turkey in it We, me and Hank LOVE it and the' outcome ' or 'out Go' is beautiful.... well, ya know
    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    We feed THK, my best recommendation is to pre-prep the meals. It gives the water time to get absorbed. I found that making it "at" feeding time took too long, and it was too watery... so what we do now is prep ahead... I have a tupperware dedicated just for it. I prep it at each meal time for the next, if that makes sense. So go ahead and mix his dinner portion now, and place it in the fridge. Tonight after his dinner, mix his next meal (breakfast) it works well, and you will get the stew like consistency. Plus saves time! You don't have to sit there and wait for it......... works great for us. I add a bit of warm water at meal time so its not cold Let me know how that works for you!

  6. Likes TyTysmom, apennycuff, 2BullyMama liked this post
  7. #5

    Default Re: Honest Kitchen

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    We feed THK, my best recommendation is to pre-prep the meals. It gives the water time to get absorbed. I found that making it "at" feeding time took too long, and it was too watery... so what we do now is prep ahead... I have a tupperware dedicated just for it. I prep it at each meal time for the next, if that makes sense. So go ahead and mix his dinner portion now, and place it in the fridge. Tonight after his dinner, mix his next meal (breakfast) it works well, and you will get the stew like consistency. Plus saves time! You don't have to sit there and wait for it......... works great for us. I add a bit of warm water at meal time so its not cold Let me know how that works for you!
    Good idea.... was wondering if you served it cold or warm.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
  9. #6
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,475
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6235

    Default Re: Honest Kitchen

    Quote Originally Posted by apennycuff View Post
    Good idea.... was wondering if you served it cold or warm.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We serve it warm.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  10. #7
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    6,547
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    7951

    Default Re: Honest Kitchen

    Same here as momma TyTy I prep it ever supper time so next day Nyala gets her 2 meals. Is yours with the protein? If not if its Kindly or Preference and you add your meat, its 1 1/3 cup of dry, 2 cups of water, 1 1/3 of meat for the size of your dog. So not sure which one you have.

  11. #8

    Default Re: Honest Kitchen

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Same here as momma TyTy I prep it ever supper time so next day Nyala gets her 2 meals. Is yours with the protein? If not if its Kindly or Preference and you add your meat, its 1 1/3 cup of dry, 2 cups of water, 1 1/3 of meat for the size of your dog. So not sure which one you have.
    I have the Marvel with Turkey.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #9

    Default Re: Honest Kitchen

    Quote Originally Posted by apennycuff View Post
    I have the Marvel with Turkey.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you think you could warm it in microwave versus adding warm water to warm? This am when I took it out of fridge it was a good consistency, just about like oatmeal but as soon as I added warm water, it got watery again. I don't want to give it to him cold, afraid that would cause stomach upset. It almost seems like there is so much liquid that it is bothering him some right after, like he is too full. A lot of belching. I am giving him 1 cup of feed mixed with 8 oz of warm water. He is a big bulldog, 82 pounds so wouldn't think that would be too much. What do you all think? Oh, and the bowel movements, looks just like the food that went in. Worried not absorbing well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #10
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,475
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6235

    Default Re: Honest Kitchen

    Quote Originally Posted by apennycuff View Post
    Do you think you could warm it in microwave versus adding warm water to warm? This am when I took it out of fridge it was a good consistency, just about like oatmeal but as soon as I added warm water, it got watery again. I don't want to give it to him cold, afraid that would cause stomach upset. It almost seems like there is so much liquid that it is bothering him some right after, like he is too full. A lot of belching. I am giving him 1 cup of feed mixed with 8 oz of warm water. He is a big bulldog, 82 pounds so wouldn't think that would be too much. What do you all think? Oh, and the bowel movements, looks just like the food that went in. Worried not absorbing well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, I microwave as well from time to time - totally safe.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  14. #11
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    6,547
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    7951

    Default Re: Honest Kitchen

    I would put it in the microwave for sure. Very true, you add more water it's too runny. Unless you add less water, then add the missing water with warm water or soak the bowl in hot water 15 mins before meal time. For sure microwave is faster.

  15. Likes apennycuff liked this post

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •