General Question Royal Canin

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I'm sorry, but that was totally uncalled for.

RC fits the needs of many bulldogs just as Beneful fits the needs of many dogs, but that doesn't mean it's a quality food. Just because your vet sells you something doesn't earn it the quality label. We have a dog food ratings list here on EBN that lists foods in order of quality ingredients. I believe that list is based many years of experience with BULLDOGS. But you're right, maybe that list isn't scientific enough to validate our "opinions". So lets look elsewhere ok?

Dog Food Adviser's website lists it as a 4 star food and their data IS scientific. Oddly enough, only the Starter line warrants a rating. Dog Food Adviser states

"Judging by its ingredients alone, Royal Canin Starter appears to be an average dry dog food.
But ingredient quality by itself cannot tell the whole story. We still need to estimate the product’s meat content before determining a final rating.
The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 32%, a fat level of 23% and estimated carbohydrates of about 38%.
As a group, the brand features an average protein content of 32% and a mean fat level of 23%. Together, these figures suggest acarbohydrate content of 38% for the overall product line. And a fat-to-protein ratio of about 72%.
Above-average protein. Above-average fat. And below-average carbs when compared to a typical dry dog food.

When you consider the protein-boosting effect of the wheat gluten, this looks like the profile of a kibble containing a moderate amount of meat.
Bottom line?
Royal Canin Starter is a plant-based kibble using a moderate amount of chicken meal as its main source of animal protein, thus earning the brand 4 stars. "

Or, if you prefer, we could go to the department of consumer affairs to read what actual users say. For every site that you show me that show's it is a great food choice, I can show you one that says it isnt. Just because someone's opinion differs than yours doesn't make it less valid. It makes it DIFFERENT and doesn't deserve to be called anything other than that. And you know what? Sometimes other peoples opinions are RIGHT and yours is the wrong one.

People come here because they need advise. @JAKEISGREAT gave hers. She didn't deserve to be attacked for it. I personally VALUE her opinions, experience and insight and even IF I disagree with something she says, I still consider her opinions no less VALID than my own.

NOW... back on topic...

I've found that mixing chicken broth works great when trying to get them to eat something new

:bravo:

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] well said, [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] I know I should eat lean proteins, low glycemic index carbs and nutrient rich veggies, but dang it- I love in-n-out burgers! Lol! And I know I shouldn't drink 1/8th the amount of alcohol I do, but I still do it.

I personally fed RC before I realized the ingredients were crap. Switched to a better food and tear stains and mushy poops went away. RC bulldog is not any more formulated for bulldogs than pudding is specially formulated for Bill Cosby.

As for getting pups to eat stuff they don't like-plain yogurt, chicken or beef broth (no sodium), pumpkin purée (no spices), or cottage cheese have been successful for me.

Good luck!

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
I also put coconut oil on butler's food. He likes it and his nose, coat, and paw pads are soft!

L

Lucy-licious

Okay..is THIS based on OPINION or merely taste...or maybe ...:eek: FACTS!

Obviously..one man's opinion is another's fact!

:cursing:

Obviously based on scientific evidence...McDonald's contains lots of sugar, salts and fats....the body naturally craves these substances...why deny the body those things it craves??
i tend to follow my McDonald's with a very sugary fizzy beverage and an apple slice...more sugar for my now very happy body :D

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Obviously based on scientific evidence...McDonald's contains lots of sugar, salts and fats....the body naturally craves these substances...why deny the body those things it craves??
i tend to follow my McDonald's with a very sugary fizzy beverage and an apple slice...more sugar for my now very happy body :D
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION]

thread Hijack.JPG thread Hijack.JPG thread Hijack.JPG

Now we know how Lucy-licious got her name ...! :ROFL:

tanito00

Aug 20, 2012
Northern Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
I'm sorry, but that was totally uncalled for.

RC fits the needs of many bulldogs just as Beneful fits the needs of many dogs, but that doesn't mean it's a quality food. Just because your vet sells you something doesn't earn it the quality label. We have a dog food ratings list here on EBN that lists foods in order of quality ingredients. I believe that list is based many years of experience with BULLDOGS. But you're right, maybe that list isn't scientific enough to validate our "opinions". So lets look elsewhere ok?

Dog Food Adviser's website lists it as a 4 star food and their data IS scientific. Oddly enough, only the Starter line warrants a rating. Dog Food Adviser states

"Judging by its ingredients alone, Royal Canin Starter appears to be an average dry dog food.
But ingredient quality by itself cannot tell the whole story. We still need to estimate the product’s meat content before determining a final rating.
The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 32%, a fat level of 23% and estimated carbohydrates of about 38%.
As a group, the brand features an average protein content of 32% and a mean fat level of 23%. Together, these figures suggest acarbohydrate content of 38% for the overall product line. And a fat-to-protein ratio of about 72%.
Above-average protein. Above-average fat. And below-average carbs when compared to a typical dry dog food.

When you consider the protein-boosting effect of the wheat gluten, this looks like the profile of a kibble containing a moderate amount of meat.
Bottom line?
Royal Canin Starter is a plant-based kibble using a moderate amount of chicken meal as its main source of animal protein, thus earning the brand 4 stars. "

Or, if you prefer, we could go to the department of consumer affairs to read what actual users say. For every site that you show me that show's it is a great food choice, I can show you one that says it isnt. Just because someone's opinion differs than yours doesn't make it less valid. It makes it DIFFERENT and doesn't deserve to be called anything other than that. And you know what? Sometimes other peoples opinions are RIGHT and yours is the wrong one.

People come here because they need advise. @JAKEISGREAT gave hers. She didn't deserve to be attacked for it. I personally VALUE her opinions, experience and insight and even IF I disagree with something she says, I still consider her opinions no less VALID than my own.

NOW... back on topic...

I've found that mixing chicken broth works great when trying to get them to eat something new

man i almost ran out of breath reading this..lol....good stuff though!!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
@Twice well said, @JAKEISGREAT I know I should eat lean proteins, low glycemic index carbs and nutrient rich veggies, but dang it- I love in-n-out burgers! Lol! And I know I shouldn't drink 1/8th the amount of alcohol I do, but I still do it.

I personally fed RC before I realized the ingredients were crap. Switched to a better food and tear stains and mushy poops went away. RC bulldog is not any more formulated for bulldogs than pudding is specially formulated for Bill Cosby.

As for getting pups to eat stuff they don't like-plain yogurt, chicken or beef broth (no sodium), pumpkin purée (no spices), or cottage cheese have been successful for me.

Good luck!

Double Double Animal Style, 'nuff said. And being born and raised in the north east there is nothing higher on the priority list when I get to Cali

OP
Annie1991

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Update on Punk and trying to switch food. Well I tried a Lamb / Rice formula mixed with the Royal Canin. My Punk is just a McDonald's kinda girl . . . . She picked out the RC from the other food and left it in the bowl - for several days! She is such a little (he, he) stinker . . . .

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Twice - to help with the yeast try about a tablespoon of vinegar per gallon in her water. That will affect her PH probably enough to stop the yeast from growing

In General - Royal Canin Bulldog caused the worst skin allergy breakout my dog ever had and caused it very quickly. I'm on the no RC band wagon big time.

You might bite the bullet and just stop putting the RC down for her. I know the potential for a problem with a fast switch but it might be worth it for a couple of days to get her off. Add some pumpkin to her new food to help stave off the runs. They like the pumpkin. Also I suggest totally grain free for bullies but watch the protein levels. Many are quite high and are too much for a bully. Dogs are often allergic to lamb from what I read. Surprised the heck out of me. I use a salmon based food and no, it doesn't smell any worse than any other dog food either before or after it's been eaten.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I too was told Royal Canin was a good food by both the breeder and my vet, but after reading the ingredients, and questioning, and re questioning my vet, and still being told it was a good food, ( my vet sells this brand in her office ) I still wasn't happy with the corn and fillers in the Royal Canin. I went on line and Googled top dog food brands, and found many sites, and information, was very confusing. Then under one of the sites I was on, the English Bulldog News came up, and I signed up. Here I found all kinds of wonderful information, and I went on the Bulldog Nutrition site, and glad I did , I found a lot of really good information, and after reading all the information, and reading the blogs, I decided to switch my babies to Fromm, I had to do a bit of sleuthing to find a retailer that sells it, Petsmart and Petvalue don't, but I found it at Rens Pet Depot, and they carry all varieties of it, as well as the Fromm canned pâtés. I asked one of the girls there because, I was deciding between Fromms, or Wellness, and she was very knowledgeable about all the foods, but also recommended the Fromms brand, she spoke highly of it, showed me all the different varieties, and I made my decision to try it. I bought the smaller bag, as I still had 1/3 of a bag of Royal Canin left, and mixed it with the new food. I asked her if I should stay with the Puppy formula, and she said you could go to adult food, because they are 8 months old, or you can stay on Puppy Gold formula until they are a year old, she said it would be okay for my puppies, because they are nice and lean. I decided to go this route, and so they were fed their first mixed Royal Canin and Fromms puppy gold tonight, they loved it ate it all. We will monitor and see if they have any poop changes or reactions, hopefully not, and if all is good, then we have a new food that I can feel good about feeding them. Thanks for all the information and advice everyone. Will keep you posted as to how it goes. Even if this doesn't agree with them, I won't go back to the Royal Canin, I will try the Wellness, the Go Natural Grain Free, or the Orijen, until I find one that they can tolerate.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I too was told Royal Canin was a good food by both the breeder and my vet, but after reading the ingredients, and questioning, and re questioning my vet, and still being told it was a good food, ( my vet sells this brand in her office ) I still wasn't happy with the corn and fillers in the Royal Canin. I went on line and Googled top dog food brands, and found many sites, and information, was very confusing. Then under one of the sites I was on, the English Bulldog News came up, and I signed up. Here I found all kinds of wonderful information, and I went on the Bulldog Nutrition site, and glad I did , I found a lot of really good information, and after reading all the information, and reading the blogs, I decided to switch my babies to Fromm, I had to do a bit of sleuthing to find a retailer that sells it, Petsmart and Petvalue don't, but I found it at Rens Pet Depot, and they carry all varieties of it, as well as the Fromm canned pâtés. I asked one of the girls there because, I was deciding between Fromms, or Wellness, and she was very knowledgeable about all the foods, but also recommended the Fromms brand, she spoke highly of it, showed me all the different varieties, and I made my decision to try it. I bought the smaller bag, as I still had 1/3 of a bag of Royal Canin left, and mixed it with the new food. I asked her if I should stay with the Puppy formula, and she said you could go to adult food, because they are 8 months old, or you can stay on Puppy Gold formula until they are a year old, she said it would be okay for my puppies, because they are nice and lean. I decided to go this route, and so they were fed their first mixed Royal Canin and Fromms puppy gold tonight, they loved it ate it all. We will monitor and see if they have any poop changes or reactions, hopefully not, and if all is good, then we have a new food that I can feel good about feeding them. Thanks for all the information and advice everyone. Will keep you posted as to how it goes. Even if this doesn't agree with them, I won't go back to the Royal Canin, I will try the Wellness, the Go Natural Grain Free, or the Orijen, until I find one that they can tolerate.

Hi there! Small world ... I currently live a half hour from you in Markham! So glad you joined the site! I used to feed Fromm to my boys before we went the raw route. If the puppy gold doesn't work, I'd try the all-stages line, such as beef fritatta or the salmon one. The beef is grain free is your babies are allergic to grains. We used to buy ours at a Global's Pet Food store which are all over the GTA I think. Some Pet Valu's have them too, not all though. G'luck with the transition! If you need any help, we're always here!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
It's wonderful that you did your research! Your babies will have a happier and healthier life because of it. Thanks for joining and posting and sharing your knowledge and experiences with all of us. That is what makes EBN a great site for any bully parents who want to do the very best they can for their bullies.

Members online