What a crappy and heart wrenching day. I'm not even sure if it's over yet. November 4th 2012 Sunday

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
13 days after he had the 2 grandmals in 24 hours, Vegas has had 5 grand mals in 18 hours. It started at 6:30 this morning....Vegas woke up having a grand mal. He woke up and his whole body started to stiffen up. I grabbed him into a bear hug and his breathing started to quicken. By holding him tightly....I can keep him upright. If I don't, he falls onto his side and he can aspirate. He did this one time at the age of 2...and ever since, I try and keep him upright. After seizure number 1, Mark took Vegas downstairs and Orion and I were going to go back to sleep. Apparently, Orion had other things on her mind and decided she wanted to play. So I carried her downstairs with me to join Mark and Vegas. Vegas was on the other side of the baby gate and once he saw me....it was as if I just got home from work. Such a happy and excited boy!!! Mark said he was running into things like crazy. Mark had started to move some things into the other room. The bar-stools and the garbage cans. He moved the camera and stand. A few minutes after my arrival downstairs....Vegas had his second grand mal seizure. This one went on and on. At least 3 minutes. I wasn't sure if he was even breathing. Finally it stopped and he started gasping for air. No more than 2 minutes after it was over...he was up and moving around. Just before 7:30 I fed them breakfast then I gave him his treat ball stuffed with frozen green beans. I took Orion upstairs and gave her an identical ball. She was unsettled and was barking like crazy. Right after breakfast another grand mal hit...but a short 20 second one. I tend to classify a grand mal when he falls to the ground and his body tenses up. When his jowls and head shake back and forth and he foams from the mouth. If he doesn't do all of those...I call them a petit mal. His Dr told me this when I asked her...."I would call them all grand mals...."

Vegas chased his ball around for awhile...then I put it up so he could rest. He napped off and on all morning. I did some house work and out side chores and the afternoon was quiet and uneventful for Vegas. His daddy got home from helping his grandma move and we settled in to watch "The Walking Dead" at 6...then again at 7. At 8pm we watched the Nat Geo special "Seal Team 6". Mark fell asleep during the middle of it and went to bed about 9:45. Shortly after, Vegas wanted to go to bed also. I followed him upstairs and helped him into bed. I watched him lay down, then went back downstairs to get O settled for bed, turn off the laptop, tv, lights etc. As I was shutting down the laptop, I hear a loud crash from upstairs. I run up to the bedroom and find Mark sprawled across the bed, comforting Vegas who is sprawled across the floor. He is having a petit mal seizure. His body is tensing up, his legs are doing the walking motion...but no violent seizing or foaming from the mouth.
He seemed confused and anxious...pushing his nose to my face and sniffing. I wanted him to come back downstairs with me...but he was anxious and unsettled. He was turning in circles and we were both expecting him to have a grand mal. He didn't. He still was not interested in coming down the stairs....instead, he wanted back into bed. So I helped him back into bed and I laid down next to him. He settled quickly and soon was sleeping. Mark had fallen back to sleep also. About 20 minutes later, Orion started barking from downstairs. I go back down the stairs and continue to shut down the tv..lights...and get sidetracked with the laptop. I'm tinkering around for about 10 minutes when my husband calls down to me. Vegas had another grand mal. I go back upstairs to help...but it's already over. I pick Vegas up and I carry him downstairs. I set him down and I send Orion upstairs to sleep in bed with her daddy. I set Vegas up with his treat ball...which he chased around until another seizure hit about 11:30 pm.
[video=youtube_share;CYBwpMe6yl0]http://youtu.be/CYBwpMe6yl0[/video]
I actually was videoing him...I thought he was just going to turn in circles. When he fell to the ground...I knew it would be another grand mal. In this video..you see me holding him upright. And trying to hold him down. He gets very confused and he actually lost bowel control during this seizure. I was trying to figure out how to keep him upright, keep his thrashing feet out of it...and get it cleaned before it became a mess. Luckily it was another short seizure.
[video=youtube_share;IlpByQh4v8o]http://youtu.be/IlpByQh4v8o[/video]
He got back up and has been chasing his ball for hours. It is 1:42am and I think he's starting to tire out. Yep..he just released a huge sigh and flopped down on the couch pillows. This is where we will be sleeping tonight. I'm not risking him falling out of bed again.

Nope..he got up and had ANOTHER grand mal. I finally decided to give him rectal diazepam. I hope it will help him settle down. He must have tensed up pretty good during the last one. He got up and has been limping.

[video=youtube_share;j7rMFoHS7CY]http://youtu.be/j7rMFoHS7CY[/video]

It is now 3am and he is sleeping. Hopefully it is over. I'm going to lay my head down next to his and try to sleep.

Members online

No members online now.