Waking up with a 'limpy' leg?

Boomer_The_Bulldog

Aug 21, 2023
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
Hey,

When our English Bulldog, Boomer, wakes up recently (the last two weeks), in doing so, he seems to have little control over his rear leg, almost like he's limping on it. After around 30 seconds of standing, he gains full control of his legs again. He is fine on his walks, fine playing, running etc. Just when he is waking up?

Is this something we should be worried about? Is this normal? He is four years old, very active, and only weighs 24kg, so not a chunk at all.

I would love to know what we should be doing.

Thank you,

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hey,

When our English Bulldog, Boomer, wakes up recently (the last two weeks), in doing so, he seems to have little control over his rear leg, almost like he's limping on it. After around 30 seconds of standing, he gains full control of his legs again. He is fine on his walks, fine playing, running etc. Just when he is waking up?

Is this something we should be worried about? Is this normal? He is four years old, very active, and only weighs 24kg, so not a chunk at all.

Thank you,

Maybe his leg is sleeping while he gets up, or it could be a pulled ligament or a leg or spine issue.
Is he sore otherwise?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey,

Thank you,
Nyala limped one day n I made her this…..👇 Took a couple days n her limp never returned. I now give it to her every other day as she’ll be 8 soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1815.jpeg
    IMG_1815.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 21

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
@Boomer_The_Bulldog

I forgot to mention,
If your worried about Luxating patella a good supplement that’s also helpful for arthritis and pain is Four Leaf Rover brand Hip Joint powder. I give it to my dogs and works amazing and it’s good for all the issues I mentioned above.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the others... could be from sleeping or might be start of arthritis. the turmeric paste works!!

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
My dog has the same symptoms and it was diagnosed as a luxating patella. His is very mild, Stage 1. He does a 'doggie yoga' move (Cobra and Downward Dog moves) and steps out fine. He has times where he is licking the rear knee, another symptom. That indicates that he needs to restrict his activity. I need to get my vet to tell me if he should take aspirin or such for when it is bothering him. The damage was likely done in a few visits to our dog park 4-6 weeks ago, playing too roughly with other dogs. (Does your dog play hard, lots of zoomies?) What now? No more dog park, no jumping on furniture, no play that requires twisting and turning (that ends further Agility & FAST CAT dreams but he can still do Rally), and a good joint supplement. Straight-line walking was recommended and doing some uphill and downhill short distance walking to strengthen rear muscles. I'm told that this can also be done by doing 'sit-down-sit' exercises, if your dog understands the commands which my boy totally ignores. Again, a vet can diagnose with a simple exam. https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_multi_patellar_luxation