seriously stressed out.. soft palate surgery

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He snores like a truck when he's sleeping!!! Way louder then his normal breathing. No sleep apnea though

LOL... most do. The thing to keep in mind with the procedure, it also helps take the stress off the heart and lungs ... when they have the narrow nares and the elongated palate, as much as we love the sweet sound of their snoring and grunts, it is a lot of stress to the organs so if it is necessary, it is best to have it done.

Nitschke had his done at 2, Cheli also at 2 and again at 3 (scare tissue formed)..... Banks did not need any of it she lived to be 9 and never snored at all. But with Lambeau, our vet noticed his nares were narrow and wanted to do his nares at 16 weeks (new study is showing less need for palate reduction if nares are widened at 16 weeks), we did it and Lambeau barely snores (little bit on occasion) and he is not showing any signs of having a palate issue.

Brancholympia

Dec 4, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Branch, and Beethoven
My oldest branch had his done at 2 years old. Best decision we made. He had sleep apnea and and when he would stop breathing it was the scariest thing. He had elongated palate and nares done. He also had his tonsils removed because when he would suck in air and struggle he ended up pulling his tonsils down his throat and enlarged them. Now he runs and plays and can cool down so much faster than he ever did. He still snores when he is in a certain position but very rarely. I would suggest getting the surgery for the quality of life for you baby but just trust your doctor and have them talk you through the procedure.

Members online