Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
He doesn't run around the backyard as it's not fully fenced yet. He just literally never sits still although he is crated a few hours during the day when no one is home. He and Jax usually have a couple play sessions each day. I had increased his food intake during the summer because he wasn't really gaining weight and he was still a puppy. And I have just kept him on that amount. My vet is happy with his current weight but he said to watch him as now that he is neutered, he *might* start gaining rather quickly.

I already have the raw mixed up and frozen for this week so I will have to keep that the same until I mix more, but I think I will cut down on his kibble in the morning. I know some people are opposed to feeding kibble and raw as they digest differently but is there any reason to feeding one in the am versus the pm? Once this bag of the SC meal mixer runs out, I don't intend on getting that anymore.

curious now,,,,, what did you do for a meal mix? Im real happy as i added some good beef i got (and froze patties) to hanks meal last night and this morns meal and he's NOT stinkie :) YEAH!!! I guess it was something in the mix of the premade.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
curious now,,,,, what did you do for a meal mix? Im real happy as i added some good beef i got (and froze patties) to hanks meal last night and this morns meal and he's NOT stinkie :) YEAH!!! I guess it was something in the mix of the premade.

Itā€™s Stella & Chewyā€™s meal mixers. Itā€™s a dehydrated raw that I add to Louieā€™s kibbles in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Here is a shot of Lambeau breakfast... Lewis is jealous and sent this to his sister saying 'dogs eat better than him'. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

b07bb1113428b94f67acfb05e37073de.jpg

Exactly! I feel sometimes that Iā€™m a bad mother for my daughter, because Tank eats cleaner than anyone in the family - I buy him human grade beef, 600 grams a day, slightly boiled with baked sweet potato, boiled lentils, buckwheat and plus Nuvet, fish oil and Vit A and E. He never gets sugar, wheat or any kind of junk food. I make him his own beef jerky for snacks! with dehydrator! He never eats snacks from the shop. When nice ladies from vet clinic give him a snack, he sniffs it and leaves it on the floor! He knows it is not food!
But for my daughter I make sometimes with my own hands pizza or cookies..damn, I love baking:eek:.or buy sweets...and I cannot myself resist carbohydrates...:ashamed:
i often say that I want someone to feed me the way I feed Tank...

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh, just saw discussion about amount of food, may be it will help. Tank is 58 pounds, for his height he is in good shape, not fat, not skinny.
I buy beef in Publix (usually eye round cut) and cut it in blocks. Then I portion it into freezer bags, 600 gram each. This is his 1 day portion of meat. I slightly cook it in microwave, then add baked sweet potato around 150 gram and 50 gram of boiled lentils or buckwheat. So, his daily meal is around 700 gram ( cooked meat shrinks and gives juice, so dry food is around 700 gram). Divide it in 2 portions, smaller in the morning and bigger for evening meal. He is quite active when we go for a walk, but at home he can sleep all day sometimes. Of course, if you play with him, he will go bananas:D

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Exactly! I feel sometimes that Iā€™m a bad mother for my daughter, because Tank eats cleaner than anyone in the family - I buy him human grade beef, 600 grams a day, slightly boiled with baked sweet potato, boiled lentils, buckwheat and plus Nuvet, fish oil and Vit A and E. He never gets sugar, wheat or any kind of junk food. I make him his own beef jerky for snacks! with dehydrator! He never eats snacks from the shop. When nice ladies from vet clinic give him a snack, he sniffs it and leaves it on the floor! He knows it is not food!
But for my daughter I make sometimes with my own hands pizza or cookies..damn, I love baking:eek:.or buy sweets...and I cannot myself resist carbohydrates...:ashamed:
i often say that I want someone to feed me the way I feed Tank...

Lol.... it is easy cause they don't talk back or resist

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Lol.... it is easy cause they don't talk back or resist

Exactly:D thatā€™s why I always say that children and bulldog puppies are equally adorable, but bulldogs have a big advantage - they never learn to talk, so I rather have more bulldogs than more kids:D

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh, just saw discussion about amount of food, may be it will help. Tank is 58 pounds, for his height he is in good shape, not fat, not skinny.
I buy beef in Publix (usually eye round cut) and cut it in blocks. Then I portion it into freezer bags, 600 gram each. This is his 1 day portion of meat. I slightly cook it in microwave, then add baked sweet potato around 150 gram and 50 gram of boiled lentils or buckwheat. So, his daily meal is around 700 gram ( cooked meat shrinks and gives juice, so dry food is around 700 gram). Divide it in 2 portions, smaller in the morning and bigger for evening meal. He is quite active when we go for a walk, but at home he can sleep all day sometimes. Of course, if you play with him, he will go bananas:D

Iā€™ll have to look online tomorrow to convert the grams into ounces lol.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Iā€™ll have to look online tomorrow to convert the grams into ounces lol.

I posted it on pg 2.

Amounts in grams (g), amount, in ounces (oz). 1/8 cup, 30 g, 1 oz. 1/4 cup, 55 g, 2 oz. 1/3 cup, 75 g, 2.6 oz. 3/8 cup, 85 g, 3 oz. 1/2 cup, 115 g, 4 oz. 5/8 cup, 140 g, 5 oz. 2/3 cup, 150 g, 5.3 oz. 3/4 cup, 170 g, 6 oz. 7/8 cup ...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
we can divide roughly by 30, then we get 23-24 ounces approximately.

That seems to be in line with what the calculators say to feed. I think Iā€™ll decrease the kibble amount just a smidge and see how that goes.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I posted it on pg 2.

Amounts in grams (g), amount, in ounces (oz). 1/8 cup, 30 g, 1 oz. 1/4 cup, 55 g, 2 oz. 1/3 cup, 75 g, 2.6 oz. 3/8 cup, 85 g, 3 oz. 1/2 cup, 115 g, 4 oz. 5/8 cup, 140 g, 5 oz. 2/3 cup, 150 g, 5.3 oz. 3/4 cup, 170 g, 6 oz. 7/8 cup ...

I know but it stopped at 6 oz and I canā€™t do math [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I posted it on pg 2.

Roughly:
Feed 2 to 2.5% of your dogs weight, so 50 pound dog weighs 22.7 kg , so for 2% would get 1 pound per day or 450g (0.45kg) per day

1 pound = 16 ounces = 480 ml = 450g = 2 cups

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Roughly:
Feed 2 to 2.5% of your dogs weight, so 50 pound dog weighs 22.7 kg , so for 2% would get 1 pound per day or 450g (0.45kg) per day

1 pound = 16 ounces = 480 ml = 450g = 2 cups

Iā€™ll try Louie out on 9 oz of raw and 1.5 cups of kibble and see how he does. Iā€™m sure heā€™ll get a little bigger as heā€™s not quite 1 yet.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] are you going to increase the food for your guys based on the calculator?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Iā€™ll try Louie out on 9 oz of raw and 1.5 cups of kibble and see how he does. Iā€™m sure heā€™ll get a little bigger as heā€™s not quite 1 yet.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] are you going to increase the food for your guys based on the calculator?

Basically youā€™re giving 4cups of kibbles aside from all the rest. Cut it to 2cups as heā€™s still eating a lot. For Duke n Nyala is a pound each Per day. You guys your dogs are 10+ heavier than my 2. Donā€™t forget all those little side snacks. That counts!!! Again bare in mind the activity, if a dog gets just a couple tablespoons less n doesnā€™t move, leave those 2tablespoons out because those snacks we give with top it.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Not as of now... it has been a month on that amount with no noticeable weight loss-- Cheli has laser session this Friday so I will weight them and see where we are

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.