Outdoor training time, advice

BulldogMA2

Dec 4, 2022
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
We are about to start outdoor potty time. Itā€™s been 9 years since I last potty trainedā€¦advice welcomed. We live in New England so weather is a factorā€¦there will be ā€œdesignated spotā€, is the back deck okay to start this? Or go right to ā€œyardā€ spot?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Make your yard spot and keep it shoveled when it snows.

I like having a bell strap on the door. Shake it every time you go out. Eventually you can encourage the dog to do it if they donā€™t pick up the idea on their own.

Until then itā€™s always ā€œoutside!ā€ after food/drink, every couple hours, whenever they go inside, etc.

I recommend only positive reinforcement. If they go inside itā€™s a gentle ā€œuhoh! Letā€™s go outside! ā€¦(ring bell and go outside)ā€. Pick them up mid potty if you can. Negative reinforcement isnā€™t fair, accidents are not the dogs fault. Get a treat that makes them crazy, like freeze dried liver - and make sure you have one on hand to reward immediately whenever they go potty outside.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
We are about to start outdoor potty time. Itā€™s been 9 years since I last potty trainedā€¦advice welcomed. We live in New England so weather is a factorā€¦there will be ā€œdesignated spotā€, is the back deck okay to start this? Or go right to ā€œyardā€ spot?

I definitely would start her in the yard instead of the deck so she doesnā€™t get confused and thinks she has the option to go on the deck to potty.

Always try the same spot in the yard to encourage her to go there. Once she goes say ā€œyay good potty or Good peeā€ whichever words you want to use.
We have a bell that hangs on the door and we say ā€œdo you need to go outside to potty!ā€ And take them out immediately but we put the dog paws gently to touch the bell then they get into the habit to ring the bell, then that means outside to potty.

Always reward with a good high value treat she goes crazy for(like the freeze dried beef liver for example), immediately after she potty outside.

Patience and consistency is key!

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I agree. Start with where you want the pooch to go (middle of the lawn if you have one) . I would be upset if my dogs went on the deck. I accept that my 10 year old (Crazy the deaf dog) pees on the edge of the walkway sometimes,

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the gangā€¦. start with yard shovel a path / spot if needed. High value treat and lots of praise when she goes.

keep in mind a puppy can only hold for one hour more than months old. So two months old = 3 hour limit. Take ou immediately upon waking and play sessions, and about 20-30 mins after a meal.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
We got you covered!! Definitely start with the yard, and some very YUMMY high value treats.

We are not quite as far north but winters are tricky here in Eastern PA as well, and I REMEMBER SO WELL we got LOTS of Snow when Ellie Came home - almost 32" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: to this day Ellie will Pee on every last bit of snow till it is all gone:facepalm1::facepalm1:

Members online

No members online now.