Norway bans bulldogs

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Sad for the good breeders that goes by the book n trying to improve the breedā€™s health.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
This is why itā€™s so important to do research and support the reputable ethical breeders. Backyard breeders that only breed for money are going to make the bulldog go extinct. Breeders should be breeding to promote the breed standard and breeding for health and temperament. I have two healthy bulldogs and I know of many moreā€¦they are out there!!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
English bulldogs and Cavalier King Charles spaniels have not been banned in Norway because there are problems with backyard breeding in Scandinavia but because animal welfare organisations have successfully protested against the health state of the breeds as such. Whether one agrees or not, the result of this decision will be that we will see an increase in the (illegal) import of dogs that have not been bred in a responsible way.

@RiiSi How do you and your fellow breeders in Finland react - will the Norwegian decision be followed by similar court cases in the other Nordic countries, do you think?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
English bulldogs and Cavalier King Charles spaniels have not been banned in Norway because there are problems with backyard breeding in Scandinavia but because animal welfare organisations have successfully protested against the health state of the breeds as such. Whether one agrees or not, the result of this decision will be that we will see an increase in the (illegal) import of dogs that have not been bred in a responsible way.

@RiiSi How do you and your fellow breeders in Finland react - will the Norwegian decision be followed by similar court cases in the other Nordic countries, do you think?
I think it still goes back to backyard breeding and bad breeders. They are the reason there unhealthy bulldogs out there. There is absolutely zero reason a bulldog needs to be deemed as an unhealthy breed. That is a misconception. The health of a dog is all in the breeding. Breeding of any breed should be for health and to improve the breed.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I think it still goes back to backyard breeding and bad breeders. They are the reason there unhealthy bulldogs out there. There is absolutely zero reason a bulldog needs to be deemed as an unhealthy breed. That is a misconception. The health of a dog is all in the breeding. Breeding of any breed should be for health and to improve the breed.
It is not just about backyard breeders. The English Bulldog Breed standards (e.g. AKC show standards) is not conducive to a healthy dog. As an example, the Georgia Bulldogs bulldog mascot family is not healthy.

There is an easy fix to this. Banning bulldogs is like fixing the clogged sink by firing a rocket at it. All you really need to do is change the standards!

My dog is an Amitola line of purebred English Bulldogs. He is bred from pure English Bulldogs but picking healthier characteristics that do not fit the AKC show "look" of an English Bulldog - e.g. narrower chest, longer nose, wider hips, etc. He has the general personality and intelligence of an English Bulldog in a healthier body.

Even just scanning on EBN, we pretty much have "common health issues" of English Bulldogs on here. We all know this. We know the English Bulldog is not for people who don't have money to go to the vet often or buy the high-end dog food.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It is not just about backyard breeders. The English Bulldog Breed standards (e.g. AKC show standards) is not conducive to a healthy dog. As an example, the Georgia Bulldogs bulldog mascot family is not healthy.

There is an easy fix to this. Banning bulldogs is like fixing the clogged sink by firing a rocket at it. All you really need to do is change the standards!

My dog is an Amitola line of purebred English Bulldogs. He is bred from pure English Bulldogs but picking healthier characteristics that do not fit the AKC show "look" of an English Bulldog - e.g. narrower chest, longer nose, wider hips, etc. He has the general personality and intelligence of an English Bulldog in a healthier body.

Even just scanning on EBN, we pretty much have "common health issues" of English Bulldogs on here. We all know this. We know the English Bulldog is not for people who don't have money to go to the vet often or buy the high-end dog food.
I respectfully disagree. I am a member and on the board of my local bulldog club as well as with the Bulldog Club of America. My dogs as well as many dogs that fit the standards are quite healthy and I see them frequently. And not all bulldogs have what you refer to as ā€œcommonā€ health issues. It all goes back to good breeding, health testing before you breed and improving oneā€™s breeding program.

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
It breaks my heart to see my bully itch and hear her struggling to breath and snore. I can't help but feel that I a contributed to the problem of breeding unhealthy dogs. I did a lot of research on the breed and the breeder, so I thought I was being a responsible buyer. I thought my bully would be free of health issues but then 2 years came around and she is allergic to alot of things and has breathing and snoring issues :(

My bully is full AKC certified. I do my best to better her life.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I respectfully disagree. I am a member and on the board of my local bulldog club as well as with the Bulldog Club of America. My dogs as well as many dogs that fit the standards are quite healthy and I see them frequently. And not all bulldogs have what you refer to as ā€œcommonā€ health issues. It all goes back to good breeding, health testing before you breed and improving oneā€™s breeding program.
I respect your point of view and I'm glad to see you take good care of your breeding line. Unfortunately, a lot, if not most, breeder lines are not healthy. And they're not backyard breeders nor what you would call "bad breeders" either. They're breeders with all the pedigree certs and show dogs in the genealogy and everything.

There's a reason English Bulldogs got banned in Norway. Every breed have backyard breeders and bad breeders. Not every breed got banned in Norway. A change needs to be made. EBN is a perfect place to see all these English Bulldog health problems so we can do something about it. Just go through the first few pages on What's New and figure out why these dogs all have these problems.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I respect your point of view and I'm glad to see you take good care of your breeding line. Unfortunately, a lot, if not most, breeder lines are not healthy. And they're not backyard breeders nor what you would call "bad breeders" either. They're breeders with all the pedigree certs and show dogs in the genealogy and everything.

There's a reason English Bulldogs got banned in Norway. Every breed have backyard breeders and bad breeders. Not every breed got banned in Norway. A change needs to be made. EBN is a perfect place to see all these English Bulldog health problems so we can do something about it. Just go through the first few pages on What's New and figure out why these dogs all have these problems.
Again, itā€™s all in the breeding. A reputable and ethical breeder breeds to improve the breed. Unfortunately there are a lot of unhealthy bulldogs out there but people need to realize that there are perfectly healthy bulldogs as well and thatā€™s what needs to be focused on and talked about and promoted. Thereā€™s no reason bulldogs need to get a bad rap. Bulldogs also used to be known as lazy couch potatoes and that is just not true.

The bulldog, like any other breed, is not inherently unhealthy when well bred. The bulldog of today is healthier than ever. we need to promote the high quality breeding that produces dogs of completely normal health.

I know bulldogs that do agility, obedience, fast cat and scent work.

Not all breeders adhere to promoting the breed and thatā€™s the issue. And that is what makes them a bad breeder. No breeder should be breeding unhealthy dogs. If a breeder finds out a dog in they're breeding program is unhealthy or producing unhealthy puppies, than that dog needs to be removed from the program.

People assuming that all bulldogs have health issues is also a problem because it's just not true. A lot of people want the designer colors and a lot of people just want a bulldog "now" and don't do the proper research.

Last edited:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
In rescue we have seen MANY Bulldogs come through that are in very poor health due to sorry maintenance. When subjected to less than ideal care, the Bulldog tends to suffer more than most other dog breeds. This sensitivity could be viewed as a Breed trait, but most of the health issues could be avoided by being proactive with health care.
Back yard breeders and "designer breeders" breeding for specific non-conforming colors and extreme bone structure traits, however, have done a HUGE disservice to the overall health of the Bulldog...opening the door to the return of undesirable genetic defect.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Again, itā€™s all in the breeding. A reputable and ethical breeder breeds to improve the breed. Unfortunately there are a lot of unhealthy bulldogs out there but people need to realize that there are perfectly healthy bulldogs as well and thatā€™s what needs to be focused on and talked about and promoted. Thereā€™s no reason bulldogs need to get a bad rap. Bulldogs also used to be known as lazy couch potatoes and that is just not true.

The bulldog, like any other breed, is not inherently unhealthy when well bred. The bulldog of today is healthier than ever. we need to promote the high quality breeding that produces dogs of completely normal health.

Not all breeders adhere to promoting the breed and thatā€™s the issue. And that is what makes them a bad breeder. No breeder should be breeding unhealthy dogs. If a breeder finds out a dog in they're breeding program is unhealthy or producing unhealthy puppies, than that dog needs to be removed from the program.

People assuming that all bulldogs have health issues is also a problem because it's just not true. A lot of people want the designer colors and a lot of people just want a bulldog "now" and don't do the proper research.
I understand this and I'm open to the idea that the AKC Show Standards can produce a consistently healthy dog. I'm just very skeptical about this.

Of course, the main reason I'm very skeptical about this is because of my experience with the Amitola breeder. Angus is a purebred English Bulldog. Very healthy dog until he got cancer at 11 years old. But, he won't pass AKC Show standards. Nose too long, chest too narrow, hips too wide. But the Amitola breeder SPECIFICALLY bred for those traits - because they correct the unhealthy traits of an AKC Show dog. Couch potato English Bulldogs have that AKC desired ginormous chest and super flat face. I can't help but think that if the Amitola breeding selection is what is used as an AKC Show standard, you will not have the glaring problems that causes English Bulldogs to be banned in Norway regardless of breeder ethical issues. Because, like I mentioned, most other dog breeds do not have this problem even with the same issues of sub-standard breeders.

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It breaks my heart to see my bully itch and hear her struggling to breath and snore. I can't help but feel that I a contributed to the problem of breeding unhealthy dogs. I did a lot of research on the breed and the breeder, so I thought I was being a responsible buyer. I thought my bully would be free of health issues but then 2 years came around and she is allergic to alot of things and has breathing and snoring issues :(

My bully is full AKC certified. I do my best to better her life.
IMPO I think this goes beyond responsible breeding (which I believe you actually did everything right!!!) our modern lifestyles, food, pollution, etc... have contributed to allergies. I have horrific allergies, and they are just getting worse over time... unless you live in a bubble, and kill your own food you will constantly be exposed to chemicals in the air and on the ground.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

YOU nailed it!!! Many people do NOT want to take the time to do the research, and then they realize they made a mistake... look at HOW many bulldogs end up in rescue!!!

Members online