ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Tank had similar problem for a very long time. Loss of hair and just clear white skin in bald patches, no scaling or scabs. As you know, we were in China and there we had no possibility to diagnose him properly. But doctors from South Africa and Belarus were unanimous- even just with photos I presented them when traveling, they said - low level staph because of compromised immune system and atopy, which is present in all bulldogs. And they gave us antibiotics - poor Tank had a course of Cefalexin, Amoxicillin with Clavulanate and even 4 shots of Convenia (modern antibiotic that lasts for 2 weeks). We tried to give him antiallergic medicines too. Amount of supplements I've tried is impossible to name. I think, I've tried everything. Supplements and antiallergic medicines didn't seem to make a lot of difference. The only supplement I can say made a difference was EFAZOL - produced in South Africa fish oil with high content of EPA and DHA and Zync.
While he was on antibiotics, shedding improved, but when I stopped them, everything came back. I was very worried about possible mange, malassezia etc...as you know, diagnosis made by picture...you know what I mean.
When we arrived to the United States, one of the first things I did was to go to American vet, clinic and doctor recommended by our site member. This clinic takes care of Georgia Bulldogs mascot. And doctor said exactly the same - low staph infection. But this time we were able to get proper medical help - doctor made a scrape of skin and ruled out other infections.
So, he gave us medicated shampoo - Chlorhexidine plus Mikonazol plus colloidal silver. And I must wash him 2 times a week, letting him sit for 10 min with shampoo on him. He also said that in his opinion antiallergic meds I mustn't use unless there is itch (and Tank never had itch) and antibiotics should be left for more severe cases. Very reasonable oldish guy, he calmed me down and said literally "you must be happy, many bulldogs have bigger skin problems and it is almost impossible to have perfect skin in bulldogs...just wait and try to build his immune system with probiotics and good vitamin supplements, while keeping staph under control with shampoo". He also prescribed Fortiflora probiotic. The only scary thing he said was that this problem can get worse with age.
I am very happy with the results - now shedding is under control and I hope that all those bald patches will cover. Tanks skin looks very beautiful and feels silky, but you can still see little bald spots against the sun. But I am sure it will get better with time. I am also very happy that it can be controlled with shampoo, because bacteria cannot develop resistance against Chlorhexidine, while with antibiotics they can. Not even mentioning the harm antibiotics do to organs and immune system. I must say, shampoo they gave us isn't cheap - 34 usd per bottle, but it lasts for month.
Now I give Tank for supplements fish oil, Zync, Vit A, Vit E (all is important for skin) and Fortiflora as probiotic and Nuvet (it is supplement strongly recommended on this forum, so I decided to try it).
I think that Duke has similar problem, it looks like it. I am sure that with your knowledge of natural oils you will find something to keep it under control and hopefully with age he will develop strong immune system. May be just get consultation from vet to rule out other things.

Your Tank sounds like my Wally... he had demodex mange as a puppy, and we have been battling skin/anal gland issues ever since. I give Wally the fish oil (or coconut oil), Microflora plus, and NuVet supplements. The supplements have zync, and vitamins A & E already added in them. Do you worry about giving too much to Tank?

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Walter had demodex mange, and we opted for the dips which worked great but freaked me out initially. We used Advantage Multi twice a month, and for that following year and knock on wood the mange has never returned. My vet says that Advantage Muliti works great for pups w/mange.

What do you mean by dips?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor looked a bit moth-eaten on the top of his head for quite some time. Staph infection, the vet said, but no antibiotics needed. Went away eventually - we washed him with chlorehexidine shampoo (seems to work for most skin-related problems for Castor).

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I think if you give enough kelp you don't need to give any other vitamin supplements.

Your Tank sounds like my Wally... he had demodex mange as a puppy, and we have been battling skin/anal gland issues ever since. I give Wally the fish oil (or coconut oil), Microflora plus, and NuVet supplements. The supplements have zync, and vitamins A & E already added in them. Do you worry about giving too much to Tank?

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Did my research for a mixture of oils. Here's a little article for staph control.

Combat*Staph Infections: Several oils were studied at the Department of Biological Sciences at Manchester Metropolitan University against various staph infections, including*patchouli oil, tea tree oil,*geranium oil, lavender oil and grapefruit seed extract. They were used individually and in various combinations to evaluate how effective they may be in providing antibacterial activity against “three strains of Staphylococcus aureus specifically Oxford S. aureus NCTC 6571 (Oxford strain), Epidemic methicillin-resistant S. aureus (EMRSA 15) and MRSA (untypable).”When used as vapors, the combination of grapefruit seed extract and geranium oil were most effective as antibacterial agents, as was a combination of geranium and tea tree oil..........

So.....

I used the puppy's pure castile soap liquid which i use as their shampoo and added, clove, tea tree, lemongrass, peppermint. Need to get oregano and cinnamon tomorrow. i gave him another good bath and let it soak in. I also had a long talk with the breeder. She's been doing this for decades. She's from the old school and the type will tell you "dont waste your money n do this" type of person. Probably why we get along as im like that to. She said again to stick to advantage multi. She had one dog "Pork Chop" that had this issue and it disappeared completely and never to return. Stress is a big cause and she said try to restrain Nyala n Duke playing rough. I told her I would need the "easy button" for that! Also she mentioned like some of you guys said, it's not necessary for antibiotics which some vets will push for and Duke immune system is just unbalanced for now.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Did my research for a mixture of oils. Here's a little article for staph control.

Combat*Staph Infections: Several oils were studied at the Department of Biological Sciences at Manchester Metropolitan University against various staph infections, including*patchouli oil, tea tree oil,*geranium oil, lavender oil and grapefruit seed extract. They were used individually and in various combinations to evaluate how effective they may be in providing antibacterial activity against “three strains of Staphylococcus aureus specifically Oxford S. aureus NCTC 6571 (Oxford strain), Epidemic methicillin-resistant S. aureus (EMRSA 15) and MRSA (untypable).”When used as vapors, the combination of grapefruit seed extract and geranium oil were most effective as antibacterial agents, as was a combination of geranium and tea tree oil..........

So.....

I used the puppy's pure castile soap liquid which i use as their shampoo and added, clove, tea tree, lemongrass, peppermint. Need to get oregano and cinnamon tomorrow. i gave him another good bath and let it soak in. I also had a long talk with the breeder. She's been doing this for decades. She's from the old school and the type will tell you "dont waste your money n do this" type of person. Probably why we get along as im like that to. She said again to stick to advantage multi. She had one dog "Pork Chop" that had this issue and it disappeared completely and never to return. Stress is a big cause and she said try to restrain Nyala n Duke playing rough. I told her I would need the "easy button" for that! Also she mentioned like some of you guys said, it's not necessary for antibiotics which some vets will push for and Duke immune system is just unbalanced for now.

hummm I need clove and tea tree still... A question,, I have oregano oil that I take internally myself and would that be the same? I now use the capsules and BAM! do they work wonders for getting rid of my throat issues I've had. Huge endorser of oregano oil!! (must be diluted if put on skin)

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
hummm I need clove and tea tree still... A question,, I have oregano oil that I take internally myself and would that be the same? I now use the capsules and BAM! do they work wonders for getting rid of my throat issues I've had. Huge endorser of oregano oil!! (must be diluted if put on skin)

Yes the same for dogs but.....OoO can be hard on the stomach, often you need to mix it in food. I know I cant take it directly but that's me. Alsoyou need a carrier oil especially for cloves. Strong stuff. CO the clear one is one good carrier.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Yes the same for dogs but.....OoO can be hard on the stomach, often you need to mix it in food. I know I cant take it directly but that's me. Alsoyou need a carrier oil especially for cloves. Strong stuff. CO the clear one is one good carrier.

Thanks! I like the capsules much better as they don't burn going down ;/ I've got the fractionated CO and also picked up some Almond oil yesterday as it sounds so southing... Only used it on MY feet so far though ;) So cloves,,,, I will look up but whats some suggestions for that one ?? as in uses..

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
Rosco had the same exact spots. They never specifically said what it was but they did a scrape and he tested negative for mange. I'm not sure if they tested for other things as I didn't think to ask at the time. He was a puppy, probably 6-8months. They told me it would just clear up on its own. I think he had 3 spots and then maybe 1 or 2 more came at some point. They didn't give us any antibiotic or anything and it cleared up on its own after a few months. He hasn't had any since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco had the same exact spots. They never specifically said what it was but they did a scrape and he tested negative for mange. I'm not sure if they tested for other things as I didn't think to ask at the time. He was a puppy, probably 6-8months. They told me it would just clear up on its own. I think he had 3 spots and then maybe 1 or 2 more came at some point. They didn't give us any antibiotic or anything and it cleared up on its own after a few months. He hasn't had any since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My gut tells me that's what is happening with Duke.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Update....vet said Duke is fine. No redness, no bumps, no slim and his skin is very healthy so no need for anything let time heal. His Immune system will build up and everything will heal on it's own. Ialready knew that part but she's the vet not me. For the Advantage Multi, it's great but Duke has been dewormed not that long ago n really doesn't need it. She said he does need his last boosters n rabies shot which she doesn't do all in one appointment. I have the booster but not the rabies. Ive researched Canadian vet association in Ottawa (head office) and they think we are vaccinating our pets too much. We are not letting their immune system built itself up. A bit like children. And that's another subject :) so Duke is fine aside Nyala chewing his face n little scabs. :evil:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update....vet said Duke is fine. No redness, no bumps, no slim and his skin is very healthy so no need for anything let time heal. His Immune system will build up and everything will heal on it's own. Ialready knew that part but she's the vet not me. For the Advantage Multi, it's great but Duke has been dewormed not that long ago n really doesn't need it. She said he does need his last boosters n rabies shot which she doesn't do all in one appointment. I have the booster but not the rabies. Ive researched Canadian vet association in Ottawa (head office) and they think we are vaccinating our pets too much. We are not letting their immune system built itself up. A bit like children. And that's another subject :) so Duke is fine aside Nyala chewing his face n little scabs. :evil:

great to hear the bugger is doing good and it is nothing serious!

Members online

No members online now.