Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
I have no insight but wanted to lots of healing prayers and hugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultrasound showed inflammation/thickening at the ureter openings but everything else looks both good & better than it did post surgery. So heā€™s still healing/recovering. Too early to treat the inflammation.

They suspect intrinsic damage in the kidney, so itā€™s officially chronic kidney disease. They think his kidney numbers have plateaued. Another blood test today to confirm.

Salo is staying until Wednesday. To continue supportive care & to line up w/the Internal medicine meeting.

They also want to cut back the fluids & see if he pees less. They tried this last night - he peed the same. So that was a fail. Maybe thatā€™s why he didnā€™t last a week? Which means I canā€™t hydrate him at home. Thatā€™s the deal breaker no? Will ask when he calls this afternoon.

Heā€™s looking well & walking & responding to people. They donā€™t think his kidneys can take another traumatic event.

I struggling to believe he will live any substantial amount of time here at home.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ultrasound showed inflammation/thickening at the ureter openings but everything else looks both good & better than it did post surgery. So heā€™s still healing/recovering. Too early to treat the inflammation.

They suspect intrinsic damage in the kidney, so itā€™s officially chronic kidney disease. They think his kidney numbers have plateaued. Another blood test today to confirm.

Salo is staying until Wednesday. To continue supportive care & to line up w/the Internal medicine meeting.

They also want to cut back the fluids & see if he pees less. They tried this last night - he peed the same. So that was a fail. Maybe thatā€™s why he didnā€™t last a week? Which means I canā€™t hydrate him at home. Thatā€™s the deal breaker no? Will ask when he calls this afternoon.

Heā€™s looking well & walking & responding to people. They donā€™t think his kidneys can take another traumatic event.

I struggling to believe he will live any substantial amount of time here at home.

Please keep us posted and try to stay positive.... it is early in the process and healing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Please keep us posted and try to stay positive.... it is early in the process and healing

Family vet thinks as the inflammation subsides, so will kidney failure. She also mentioned fluid therapy under skin (to control hydration). Didnā€™t know this was a thing - buy bags from the vet & do it at home. Salo is chill, he would let me.

And homemade electrolytes, depending on bloodwork. Will be sure to discuss everything Wednesday.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Family vet thinks as the inflammation subsides, so will kidney failure. She also mentioned fluid therapy under skin (to control hydration). Didnā€™t know this was a thing - buy bags from the vet & do it at home. Salo is chill, he would let me.

And homemade electrolytes, depending on bloodwork. Will be sure to discuss everything Wednesday.

Poor guy, hope it works out ok. I watched a couple of videos to see it being done, looks like you should have 2 people to make it easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blzqdJ4tDiI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpQ_QJbrAjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpkFc7KqmB8

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Round morning, happy ending - the Monday ultrasound showed stones in the other ureter. Radiologist didn't note them because he didn't think it was a problem because the kidney looked the same on the previous ultrasound. So my morning update put another surgery back on the table. They did another ultrasound today and sure enough, buddy passed the stones. So I believe this explains the relapse. Creatinine dipped to 481.

He's staying overnight for observation & another blood test. Then our big treatment discussion. Expect them to recommend wet food & keep him very hydrated. I can handle that.

Question... thoughts about keeping him on raw food? Lots of moisture. He was eating 75% meat & 25% veggies (& pumpkin). Of the meat, 10% was organs. Apparently the protein is very lean. He was on Turkey (bone in) & Kangaroo (boneless).
Here's the nutritional info if it helps:

https://www.3pnaturals.com/pet-nutrition/nutritional-information

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Glad to hear he passed the other stone !He probably will be good on frozen raw, but you may have to give a supplement depending on what kind of stone it was. Ask them for the results of what kind of stones he had.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great news on the passing of the stone.... any result on the type yet?

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Great news on the passing of the stone.... any result on the type yet?

As of yesterday afternoon, not yet.

Little worried I canā€™t keep him hydrated enough. Weā€™ll see.

Buying a water dispenser to use when Iā€™m out 4+ hours. Iā€™ve never trusted him to stop drinking on his own. Weā€™ll see that too.

Looking into smart fountains. They donā€™t pool enough - he would struggle.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Grabbing him soon. They doesnā€™t expect him to live much longer. Returning Saturday for another blood test. If his current levels donā€™t change, meaning he stable, heā€™s stage 4.

Creatinine - 490

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Grabbing him soon. They doesnā€™t expect him to live much longer. Returning Saturday for another blood test. If his current levels donā€™t change, meaning he stable, heā€™s stage 4.

Creatinine - 490

Sorry to hear ! Just rest assured he's not in any pain and you've done everything you possibly could for him. Very few dog owners are as dedicated as you.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Creatinine - 490

So very sorry to hear this.... you have done everything you could and love him more than you can.

Hugs and prayers to you all

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
So very sorry to hear this.... you have done everything you could and love him more than you can.

Hugs and prayers to you all

Update. His personality is still there. Energy & walks are better than it was between the stones. He gained 1 pound so hopefully that continues. Appetite is definitely there. All good.

He stopped drinking water last night. He drank in the afternoon at my request. More later during a walk in/out of the sun. But last night & this morning, refuses.

I'm adding water to the vet/wet canned food - maybe 4/5 tablespoons - and soaking it up in the food. When we play w/the hose, he drinks some but I think that's play (muscle) memory. I tried offering stock in the water dish, no sale. Have a second water bowl by the balcony door. Obviously this isn't enough water. I can try the ice cube trick later.

Tests - skill pull on his head - fail (never done this before, no baseline). Back - pass (but could be just gravity, loose skin there). Gums are moist but we just ate.

Blood test in 2 hours at the surgical place. No plans to stay but if the results or exam confirm he's dehydrated...

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Update. His personality is still there. Energy & walks are better than it was between the stones. He gained 1 pound so hopefully that continues. Appetite is definitely there. All good.

He stopped drinking water last night. He drank in the afternoon at my request. More later during a walk in/out of the sun. But last night & this morning, refuses.

I'm adding water to the vet/wet canned food - maybe 4/5 tablespoons - and soaking it up in the food. When we play w/the hose, he drinks some but I think that's play (muscle) memory. I tried offering stock in the water dish, no sale. Have a second water bowl by the balcony door. Obviously this isn't enough water. I can try the ice cube trick later.

Tests - skill pull on his head - fail (never done this before, no baseline). Back - pass (but could be just gravity, loose skin there). Gums are moist but we just ate.

Blood test in 2 hours at the surgical place. No plans to stay but if the results or exam confirm he's dehydrated...

Ask about a sub-q fluids... we did this a few times with our first two bulldogs. Looks like a him on the back and slowly release guilds to the body. Surprised they havenā€™t offered it

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Ask about a sub-q fluids... we did this a few times with our first two bulldogs. Looks like a him on the back and slowly release guilds to the body. Surprised they havenā€™t offered it

Will do. Family vet gave me the idea week ago. Internal medicine doctor said not needed yet & sheā€™s done that more for cats than dogs. Iā€™ll bring it up again for sure.

In your experience - thirst never came back? It worked well for you?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Will do. Family vet gave me the idea week ago. Internal medicine doctor said not needed yet & sheā€™s done that more for cats than dogs. Iā€™ll bring it up again for sure.

In your experience - thirst never came back? It worked well for you?

Yes... Solve the problem that was going on at the time unfortunately I canā€™t remember what it was and then since we feed raw it was hard to tell but I always added like a half a cup of water to their food just to be sure they were getting enough.. I still do it today with my current two for the little guy he gets a few tablespoons and a Lambeau gets about a3 of a cup

Members online

No members online now.