SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
At least he's home and with his family that he loves. Try giving him as much fluid as you possibly can with lots of opportunities to go outside and pee. I would give him wet dog food- eg. add water to his raw dog food to make it soupy in texture. The creatinine which measures his kidney function should gradually get better.

Eventful day. Saw the vet because he's losing weight. Tried twice to go back to raw, didn't end well. Vet gave me "Base Mix" by "the honest kitchen", so we'll see how that goes. She doesn't think he's ready for raw & told me to wait until stone analysis comes back. Meantime, focus is on his weight - 44 lbs Monday - 41 lbs this morning - normally 48 lbs when healthy.

She noticed his (bad) breath, feared it was coming from his kidneys & took some blood. Creatinine wasn't readable. Diluted the sample & tried again, same result. So they kept trying. Meantime, she feared it was crazy high because it wasn't readable & referred me to Emergency. She feared kidney failure or more likely - ureter was swelling from the surgery.

Enroute, vet office called to take care of billing. They had a creatinine value - 260 - basically identical to after the surgery. When I made this point, they put the vet on the phone. I told her, now that I think about it, he's had the bad breath since he's been home. She changed her mind - don't go. I assumed the breath was related to the procedure. Now I'm thinking its the bland meals he's eating.

Enroute home, emergency called (because they received the inconclusive test result as part of the referral). I explained the situation & while I had them on the phone, asked for a second opinion. They said a 260 reading shouldn't need diluting but agreed if that's the correct reading, there's been no change, no need for Emergency attention.

So first the Cancer scare early on... now the kidney failure scare today. I'm so over this....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Eventful day. Saw the vet because he's losing weight. Tried twice to go back to raw, didn't end well. Vet gave me "Base Mix" by "the honest kitchen", so we'll see how that goes. She doesn't think he's ready for raw & told me to wait until stone analysis comes back. Meantime, focus is on his weight - 44 lbs Monday - 41 lbs this morning - normally 48 lbs when healthy.

She noticed his (bad) breath, feared it was coming from his kidneys & took some blood. Creatinine wasn't readable. Diluted the sample & tried again, same result. So they kept trying. Meantime, she feared it was crazy high because it wasn't readable & referred me to Emergency. She feared kidney failure or more likely - ureter was swelling from the surgery.

Enroute, vet office called to take care of billing. They had a creatinine value - 260 - basically identical to after the surgery. When I made this point, they put the vet on the phone. I told her, now that I think about it, he's had the bad breath since he's been home. She changed her mind - don't go. I assumed the breath was related to the procedure. Now I'm thinking its the bland meals he's eating.

Enroute home, emergency called (because they received the inconclusive test result as part of the referral). I explained the situation & while I had them on the phone, asked for a second opinion. They said a 260 reading shouldn't need diluting but agreed if that's the correct reading, there's been no change, no need for Emergency attention.

So first the Cancer scare early on... now the kidney failure scare today. I'm so over this....

oh my... maybe a new vet is needed? The Honest Kitchen is a great food, dehydrated raw. Did the vet give a date as to when the results will be back on the stone?

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
oh my... maybe a new vet is needed? The Honest Kitchen is a great food, dehydrated raw. Did the vet give a date as to when the results will be back on the stone?

3-4 weeks total time. Itā€™s only been a week & change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Not sure about this vet... I see high creatinine values all the time in human samples and I've never heard of having to dilute. Creatinine of 260 is high, ( if the value is accurate ) but the kidneys at least haven't gotten worse. The base mix of Honest Kitchen has to be mixed with your cooked beef or turkey etc. I hope your baby gets better ! Normally I see people who get ureter obstructions cleared have their creatinine much better in a few days, so I'm wondering if they damaged the ureter or left some stones?

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Not sure about this vet... I see high creatinine values all the time in human samples and I've never heard of having to dilute. Creatinine of 260 is high, ( if the value is accurate ) but the kidneys at least haven't gotten worse. The base mix of Honest Kitchen has to be mixed with your cooked beef or turkey etc. I hope your baby gets better ! Normally I see people who get ureter obstructions cleared have their creatinine much better in a few days, so I'm wondering if they damaged the ureter or left some stones?

Last 2 years, it was 190. So thatā€™s the baseline.

Struggling w/the base mix - weā€™re up to 1/8 cup & donā€™t think heā€™s a fan of the smell. Will try a few tricks - meat on top or add bone broth.

Plan B - bought veggie packs from the same mfg who makes his raw food (that heā€™s not digesting). Actually waiting for a call from my vet to discuss. Veggie are raw. Of course Iā€™d add his usual vitamin supplement if Iā€™m giving up on the base mix.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Last 2 years, it was 190. So thatā€™s the baseline.

Struggling w/the base mix - weā€™re up to 1/8 cup & donā€™t think heā€™s a fan of the smell. Will try a few tricks - meat on top or add bone broth.

Plan B - bought veggie packs from the same mfg who makes his raw food (that heā€™s not digesting). Actually waiting for a call from my vet to discuss. Veggie are raw. Of course Iā€™d add his usual vitamin supplement if Iā€™m giving up on the base mix.

Sorry to hear ! I didn't realize this has been a long term issue.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Sorry to hear ! I didn't realize this has been a long term issue.

Diet & activity was completely normal prior to the stone.

At the moment everything has changed but Iā€™m not taking anything to heart yet because his surgery was only 11 days ago. Agreed?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Diet & activity was completely normal prior to the stone.

At the moment everything has changed but Iā€™m not taking anything to heart yet because his surgery was only 11 days ago. Agreed?

I think if the creatinine is the same and he's peeing ok and not throwing up then it's ok. But it sounds like he's throwing up a lot. So I'm not sure what's going on.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
I think if the creatinine is the same and he's peeing ok and not throwing up then it's ok. But it sounds like he's throwing up a lot. So I'm not sure what's going on.

He only threw up when I tried to put him back in raw - tried twice, 3 days between attempts. First time was 9 hours later. Second time was less - started coming up in clumps followed by entire stomach contents. Raw food wasnā€™t digested.

Heā€™s not throwing up on cooked food.

Heā€™s been on raw for 6 years. High quality raw - 3P naturals, Turkey & Kangaroo.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo

Hospital again. No appetite. He's dehydrated. Nobody does ultrasounds on the weekend. Blood test result tomorrow. All I know (found out today) is his phosphorous levels from the family vet blood test yesterday was high - 5.x or 6.x (I forget).

Great, IV fluids will hydrate him but what caused the dehydration? Could eating too much protein have caused the phosphorous elevation in a week? Coincidence this happens after a kidney stone removal? Can kidney disease cause kidney stones?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hospital again. No appetite. He's dehydrated. Nobody does ultrasounds on the weekend. Blood test result tomorrow. All I know (found out today) is his phosphorous levels from the family vet blood test yesterday was high - 5.x or 6.x (I forget).

Great, IV fluids will hydrate him but what caused the dehydration? Could eating too much protein have caused the phosphorous elevation in a week? Coincidence this happens after a kidney stone removal? Can kidney disease cause kidney stones?

So sorry- it sounds like his kidneys are worsening, since phosphate levels rise when the kidney doesn't excrete the phosphate from the food.
Kidney disease can definitely cause kidney stones.

You may need to go to a lower phosphate food and lower protein food, so the raw food is probably not good for that reason, so even heating raw food so he doesn't throw up is not going to work. It's not the food that caused the problems, but the kidneys are too stressed to handle the phosphate rich food at this point. Make sure the dog food doesn't have added calcium phosphate, since that is a common ingredient. Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw has tricalcium phosphate, so you may need to buy a special dog food from the vet, even though the quality is really poor in those.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
So sorry- it sounds like his kidneys are worsening, since phosphate levels rise when the kidney doesn't excrete the phosphate from the food.
Kidney disease can definitely cause kidney stones.

You may need to go to a lower phosphate food and lower protein food, so the raw food is probably not good for that reason, so even heating raw food so he doesn't throw up is not going to work. It's not the food that caused the problems, but the kidneys are too stressed to handle the phosphate rich food at this point. Make sure the dog food doesn't have added calcium phosphate, since that is a common ingredient. Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw has tricalcium phosphate, so you may need to buy a special dog food from the vet, even though the quality is really poor in those.

Just called/checked up on him. Heā€™s eating on his own. And all their food - dehydrated chicken & rice. His heart rate was 170 when he arrived. 132 now.

When is blood work comes back, if his creatinine levels are still around 250, is what youā€™re saying here still possibly the case?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Just called/checked up on him. Heā€™s eating on his own. And all their food - dehydrated chicken & rice. His heart rate was 170 when he arrived. 132 now.

When is blood work comes back, if his creatinine levels are still around 250, is what youā€™re saying here still possibly the case?

The dehydrated chicken and rice probably has dicalcium phosphate in it, doesn't sound safe to give to me.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
The dehydrated chicken and rice probably has dicalcium phosphate in it, doesn't sound safe to give to me.

Doubt his blood test results are back. You could argue theyā€™re flying blind until then.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Doubt his blood test results are back. You could argue theyā€™re flying blind until then.

I have no insight but wanted to lots of healing prayers and hugs

Members online

No members online now.