I’m desperate - Teeth

Feb 9, 2020
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Hello

I am desperate in knowing how to brush my english bulldogs teeth. I was literally crying out of frustration because my bulldog even though he doesn’t bite, he closes his mouth and I cant brush his teeth. I really don’t know what to do anymore. I don’t want him to get infection or gum problems! What is your secret in brushing your English Bulldogs teeth?

Attachments

• IMG_9661.jpeg
    IMG_9661.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs never had their teeth brushed. They have a toy box full of benebones and had marrow bones to chew on. Their teeth are pretty clean. Now my teeth-not so good! (shoulda' chewed bones...) There are dental chews and spray for their teeth, I think there are wipes also. @walterenglishbulldog

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Have you tried using a glove tooth brush and just play with him, with it? Try to not let yourself get too frustrated, allow yourself to stop and try again later. @Manydogs also has a good point ☝️

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I’ve never brushed any of our dogs teeth… same as Lynn— marrow bones and other chew toys

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
Hello

I am desperate in knowing how to brush my english bulldogs teeth. I was literally crying out of frustration because my bulldog even though he doesn’t bite, he closes his mouth and I cant brush his teeth. I really don’t know what to do anymore. I don’t want him to get infection or gum problems! What is your secret in brushing your English Bulldogs teeth?
I have been blessed! Gunny allows me to brush his teeth daily. On top of that, I clean his eyes / wrinkles, I wipe him down completely (including the area around his poop hole), and I put an ointment on his nose and paws (Every day). Believe it or not, he sits through it and allows me to do it. Although, I do give him doggy treats after we are done.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Never brush any of my dog’s teeth. Raw Marrow bones to keep teeth nice n solid, and rubber toys to keeps plaque away.

Attachments

• IMG_1011.jpeg
    IMG_1011.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 8

CornyXo

Feb 19, 2024
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I'm sorry to hear about your frustration! Brushing an English Bulldog's teeth can indeed be challenging due to their anatomy and temperament. One trick is to start by gently massaging his gums with your finger or a soft cloth to get him used to the sensation. Gradually introduce a doggy toothpaste (never use human toothpaste) and let him taste it. Then, try using a dog toothbrush or finger brush and reward him with treats and praise afterward. Consistency and patience are key! If brushing remains difficult, you might explore alternative dental care options with your vet, such as dental chews or dental rinses. Hang in there!

Members online

No members online now.