How old before EB's stop growing? Widening?

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
When do EB's stop growing? Ranger is 14mths old and not neutered, will he continue to grow? He's 52lbs and 14 inches tall (floor to shoulder)
I'm sure I read somewhere at 16mths they are fully grown. Is this accurate? Sometimes I look at him and feel like his head is so small! Maybe it's just me. [emoji854]
We've purposely waited to neuter him to ensure he reaches his full growth potential. (If that's even a thing, lol) I'm starting to think he's reached it. Unless they go through one last final growth spurt?
53f72d2d58fa05a00b233197b849939c.jpg

Doesn't his head seem so small?! Maybe he's just a small bully? Whether he continues to grow or stays the same size, we sure love him ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky has been about the same size for a year now and is 64lbs at almost 2.5 years of age. He is almost 18 inches in height from the floor to top of shoulders and 21" long from shoulders to tail

He is a little tall and long compared to other bulldogs I've seen and his head isn't as big as other smaller bulldogs I've seen

Chunky rarely shows his teeth or tongue and I can't remember any pics of Ranger showing his either. Its funny how different bulldogs and I guess most dogs are from each other

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Chunky has been about the same size for a year now and is 64lbs at almost 2.5 years of age. He is almost 18 inches in height from the floor to top of shoulders and 21" long from shoulders to tail

He is a little tall and long compared to other bulldogs I've seen and his head isn't as big as other smaller bulldogs I've seen

Chunky rarely shows his teeth or tongue and I can't remember any pics of Ranger showing his either. Its funny how different bulldogs and I guess most dogs are from each other

[MENTION=14678]Chunky White[/MENTION]
That's about what I thought the "average" growth stopped at, 1/12 yrs old. Which, IF that's the case Ranger has a couple months to go still. I think he's going to be on the smaller side though, I don't anticipate he'll get much bigger.

You are correct! Ranger hardly EVER shows his teeth or tongue (which is why we can't enter the latest pic contest) [emoji23]

Is Chunky neutered?

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
[MENTION=14678]Chunky White[/MENTION]
That's about what I thought the "average" growth stopped at, 1/12 yrs old. Which, IF that's the case Ranger has a couple months to go still. I think he's going to be on the smaller side though, I don't anticipate he'll get much bigger.

You are correct! Ranger hardly EVER shows his teeth or tongue (which is why we can't enter the latest pic contest) [emoji23]

Is Chunky neutered?

Yeah Chunky was neutered last November at 18 months because he had Cystine Stones which were causing him problems

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Yeah Chunky was neutered last November at 18 months because he had Cystine Stones which were causing him problems

Poor thing! [emoji53]

We plan to get Ranger neutered around the same age (18mths)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
It's my understanding the longer you wait to neuter, the more they fill out. Louie has to be neutered no later than 1 year as he has cystinuria so if I wait, cystine stones will eventually develop.

He's almost 7 months but he's still tall and lanky looking. He eats about 4 cups a day but still isn't filling out. I think he's pretty active so burning a lot of calories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
It's my understanding the longer you wait to neuter, the more they fill out. Louie has to be neutered no later than 1 year as he has cystinuria so if I wait, cystine stones will eventually develop.

He's almost 7 months but he's still tall and lanky looking. He eats about 4 cups a day but still isn't filling out. I think he's pretty active so burning a lot of calories.

[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]
Thank you! I didn't know they'd continue to fill out the longer you wait to neuter. Something to think about.

How did you know that Louie had cystinuria? Is it common?

Ranger eats about the same amount and is incredibly active. Way more active/hyper than we'd heard or read about English Bulldogs being.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Ranger is beautiful perfect bullie! Some bullies have relatively bigger head, but you can see it and n an earlier age,when we were looking for a bulldog to buy, we were concerned about buying in China, so we checked in my country. We found a beautiful purebred bulldog, made absolutely all arrangements but 3 days before flight he developed skin condition which put him in danger of being stopped at the border with vague perspective, so I had to refuse (in China they will destroy animal if after quarantine it isn't cleared 100%). But gosh, that little 6 month old boy was half head! I mean half of his body was head! Sorry, I can't find the picture, I've changed 2 phones since then.
But what I want to say, Ranger proportions will most probably stay the same, he can become wider in shoulders and head can grow a bit more, but no more big spurts of growth. His proportions are very good, he is beautiful.
What concerns neutering, you can still wait a bit if he doesn't show disturbing behaviours - marking, humping etc, actually, they say that bullies grow till 3 yo. Also, later neutering spares many problems like certain cancers, joint problems etc. Actually, healthy male dogs really NEED to be neutered around 4 yo, as not neutered dogs after 5 yo usually develop prostate hyperplasia which causes problem in urine passage. But even if or happens ( prostate hyperplasia) it reverses after neutering.
But I'm strong believer in non- neutering dogs. I believe it's better to keep them intact for health. We just don't do it in Europe unless it's a stray animal which is rescued and re homed. I'm gonna neuter Tank not earlier than 4 yo.
You also need to give Ranger long enough time to recover from his aspiration pneumonia. The area affected by pneumonia will stay prone to pneumonia for a long time, which means you must avoid putting any pressure on his lungs at all costs. Even simple cold or flu can cause pneumonia in the same area. You just cannot take an unnecessary risk of putting him under anesthesia in next 6 months.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]
Thank you! I didn't know they'd continue to fill out the longer you wait to neuter. Something to think about.

How did you know that Louie had cystinuria? Is it common?

Ranger eats about the same amount and is incredibly active. Way more active/hyper than we'd heard or read about English Bulldogs being.

The breeders do DNA testing on all of their puppies. Louie is actually show quality and they show their dogs so they would have kept him but because he has cystinuria, he has to be neutered. So their loss was my gain!

The breeders saw Louie over the weekend and think with his build/structure, he can stand to gain more weight. I might try to feed him more. He gets The Honest Kitchen in the morning and Fromm at night.

Here is a picture of him from over the weekend. He is not underweight, you can't see his ribs at all. He weighs at least 40 pounds right now. He just hasn't filled out yet but you can see his lanky back legs.

IMG_3628.JPG

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
The breeders do DNA testing on all of their puppies. Louie is actually show quality and they show their dogs so they would have kept him but because he has cystinuria, he has to be neutered. So their loss was my gain!

The breeders saw Louie over the weekend and think with his build/structure, he can stand to gain more weight. I might try to feed him more. He gets The Honest Kitchen in the morning and Fromm at night.

Here is a picture of him from over the weekend. He is not underweight, you can't see his ribs at all. He weighs at least 40 pounds right now. He just hasn't filled out yet but you can see his lanky back legs.

View attachment 108030

omg this is one funny picture... oh, he's gorgeous and all for sure! but the look in his eyes as to "REALLY" a picture of my rear end! is so darn cute I cant stand it!! and @Ranger 777 , to my recollection (and it's great i tell ya) its the second year filling out, third year the head. There are so many different 'styles' of these guys for sure, but I sure love the way your boy looks. and as far as neuter, I was one who at first wanted to neuter at 6 months. Then after much 'bulldog' readings, I didn't want to at all!!!!! , but! He got a year and a half with 'them' and though i'd have loved to have them still for the 'benefits' of them, I don't regret having him done and I don't think he does either. It's a case by case deal, and I find great relief knowing that if I HAD to have someone take care of him in an emergency, I could w/o the door being shut because he's intact. (we were heading to Ireland a few months back and I found a lovely home that would love to have kept him for those days, but couldn't as he was intact) Anyway, that's my 2 cents ;)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
EB are all different. I have a funny feeling Duke's going to be wider than Nyala. Nyala is a Bantam bully so they are taller and faces not as big. The head is the last part that grows. Duke had a vasectomy as I didn't want him neutered. Hes growing very well n steady.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When do EB's stop growing? Ranger is 14mths old and not neutered, will he continue to grow? He's 52lbs and 14 inches tall (floor to shoulder)
I'm sure I read somewhere at 16mths they are fully grown. Is this accurate? Sometimes I look at him and feel like his head is so small! Maybe it's just me. [emoji854]
We've purposely waited to neuter him to ensure he reaches his full growth potential. (If that's even a thing, lol) I'm starting to think he's reached it. Unless they go through one last final growth spurt?
53f72d2d58fa05a00b233197b849939c.jpg

Doesn't his head seem so small?! Maybe he's just a small bully? Whether he continues to grow or stays the same size, we sure love him ❤️

Hi ya gorgeous!

First year - up
second year - out
third year - broaden/head

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka Fran aka Mama Beans
His face! He is perfect! What a nugget ! Thank you for this thread! Lots of great information here. I often wonder about my girl because she is lanky lol here she is.. she's 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. [emoji190][emoji252]

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
His face! He is perfect! What a nugget ! Thank you for this thread! Lots of great information here. I often wonder about my girl because she is lanky lol here she is.. she's 6 months

oh boy she's growing beautifully!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

That sweet wiggle!!

Members online

No members online now.