Heartguard

Diesel11

Mar 19, 2024
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Hi everyone
What are your thoughts on heart guard? I gave Bear one last month with no side effects but was wondering if there is a more natural remedy that would be as effective since I don't want him to get heartworm. I already have a natural spray for flea and ticks since I'm not giving him bravecto anymore

Squeezer

Nov 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cozmeaux ,Elvis
Hi everyone
What are your thoughts on heart guard? I gave Bear one last month with no side effects but was wondering if there is a more natural remedy that would be as effective since I don't want him to get heartworm. I already have a natural spray for flea and ticks since I'm not giving him bravecto anymore
Hi there, we gave our EB puppy Heartguard once and within a day she started having seizures. Our vet isnā€™t sure if Heartguard caused the seizures ( through some research, some vets have correlated the use of Heartguard, Bravecto et Al with seizures- there are statistics to back up , and I didnā€™t bookmark the dataā€¦you may be able to dig it up; itā€™s rare but definitely not to be ruled out).

Since we arenā€™t sure if HG is the cause of the seizures ( side note: we had our puppy tested for Addisonā€™s and the test came back negative), we found and now use the natural spray offered by the good folks up in Canada ( donā€™t recall their name off hand)ā€¦it seems to work well so far. If you search the threads on this forum, youā€™ll find a ā€œrecipeā€ for natural spray that you can make yourself ( lavender oil and other easily available oils seem to be the main components as I recall).

Our vet insists that we try HG again ( we live in Texas where mosquitoes are plentiful to be sure)ā€¦.with all the issues weā€™ve had with the puppy having seizures, I am very hesitant to try any of the ā€œchemicalā€ heartworm treatmentsā€¦.it only takes one mosquito bite to potentially infect a dog according to our vet.ā€¦

We have a 5 year old male bullie that has been on Heartguard since he was a pup and has had zero side effectsā€¦

There are plenty of others on the forum whoā€™ll offer up their takes on the issueā€¦.everyone here is here to help and will provide their experiences with HG ,as well as others issues in the EB world!

OP
D

Diesel11

Mar 19, 2024
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Hi there, we gave our EB puppy Heartguard once and within a day she started having seizures. Our vet isnā€™t sure if Heartguard caused the seizures ( through some research, some vets have correlated the use of Heartguard, Bravecto et Al with seizures- there are statistics to back up , and I didnā€™t bookmark the dataā€¦you may be able to dig it up; itā€™s rare but definitely not to be ruled out).

Since we arenā€™t sure if HG is the cause of the seizures ( side note: we had our puppy tested for Addisonā€™s and the test came back negative), we found and now use the natural spray offered by the good folks up in Canada ( donā€™t recall their name off hand)ā€¦it seems to work well so far. If you search the threads on this forum, youā€™ll find a ā€œrecipeā€ for natural spray that you can make yourself ( lavender oil and other easily available oils seem to be the main components as I recall).

Our vet insists that we try HG again ( we live in Texas where mosquitoes are plentiful to be sure)ā€¦.with all the issues weā€™ve had with the puppy having seizures, I am very hesitant to try any of the ā€œchemicalā€ heartworm treatmentsā€¦.it only takes one mosquito bite to potentially infect a dog according to our vet.ā€¦

We have a 5 year old male bullie that has been on Heartguard since he was a pup and has had zero side effectsā€¦

There are plenty of others on the forum whoā€™ll offer up their takes on the issueā€¦.everyone here is here to help and will provide their experiences with HG ,as well as others issues in the EB world!
Thank youšŸ’–

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
(Good folks up in Canada) šŸ‘

Ive posted numerous times my lavender mixture on EBN. Like you @Squeezer I wouldnā€™t use chemicals on my dogs cause thatā€™s basically what these tick/fleas/mosquito products are, pesticides. People really need to research whatā€™s being sold out there n this goes for humans too. Simply read the side effects. Eye opener.

Members online

No members online now.