English bulldog with IBD

Mikecanfield36

Oct 26, 2023
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Franky and Grace
Hello, one of my EBD's was diagnosed with IBD over a month ago after a stressful bout of vomiting and diarrhea. After diagnosis, she was started on metronidazole twice a day, with it tapering off after 10 days. It worked almost immediately. She's now on the medicine every other day. She's still doing well in terms of eating and gaining weight, but we're starting to notice blood streaks in her feces. Anyone else have experience with IBD?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello, one of my EBD's was diagnosed with IBD over a month ago after a stressful bout of vomiting and diarrhea. After diagnosis, she was started on metronidazole twice a day, with it tapering off after 10 days. It worked almost immediately. She's now on the medicine every other day. She's still doing well in terms of eating and gaining weight, but we're starting to notice blood streaks in her feces. Anyone else have experience with IBD?
No but you need to go back to the vet. Meds that works immediate are usually powerful meds. Keep us posted.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I don't have any personal experience but my friend has a Frenchie that was diagnosed with IBD and having serious issues and she tried different meds and prescription diets and nothing was helping. Now she is feeding her a freeze dried rabbit food and no more issues. It could be a matter of finding a specific food that doesn't aggravate her symptoms.

OP
M

Mikecanfield36

Oct 26, 2023
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Franky and Grace
No but you need to go back to the vet. Meds that works immediate are usually powerful meds. Keep us posted.
Yes, going Monday for a re-check.
I don't have any personal experience but my friend has a Frenchie that was diagnosed with IBD and having serious issues and she tried different meds and prescription diets and nothing was helping. Now she is feeding her a freeze dried rabbit food and no more issues. It could be a matter of finding a specific food that doesn't aggravate her symptoms.
Thanks. She's on a prescription diet right now (Hills Z/D). She's going to see the vet Monday. I assume we'll need to change something up. Luckily, she's doing really well aside from the blood in the stool thing.

OP
M

Mikecanfield36

Oct 26, 2023
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Franky and Grace
Will do. She's going Monday morning. Thankfully, she's doing good aside from the blood thing.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Will do. She's going Monday morning. Thankfully, she's doing good aside from the blood thing.
Hills Z/D…….. Definitely not good diet there. I would go like @Cbrugs just mentioned or use raw liver as a topper so your dog gets all the day’s minerals n build a stronger immune system.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
my niece had a similar issue with her cat... they were on Hills didn't help much so she also went to a rabbit based frozen raw and it helped. I'm not saying rabbit is the answer but finding the right food is. Hoping you get some answers to help your baby. please keep us posted

Members online

No members online now.