helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Well. She's been on hamburger & rice for 2 days and I thinj her poo has gotten worse ☹ it literally comes spraying out her back end. I was using brown rice and just switched to white rice for her evening feeding last night after reading I should only use white rice. It's hard to tell goes she's feeling bc she is always so lazy. She was on my feet constantly yesterday though! Will the white rice make that big of a difference?? I think her poo should be improving even if I was not using the right rice.

Not really a difference. Brown rice they remove the top layer (husk or hull) n the white remove the bran in it..less fiber int it (btw u need fiber in all diets). Actually, one of my family member use to go for #2 (sorry for the description) always with lots of blood. He would never listen to my advice......after months n months he decides to listen. I kept telling him go see a naturopath as if I would of told him what he needs he wouldn't believe me...let others tell him. Hes one of those bozos.....So he goes. Lady naturopath tells him....if your plumbing is not working, the whole body will follow. She gave him fiber (psyllium husk) and eat one yogurt everyday the one that has the most probiotics. Greek yogurt wasnt an "in" thing back then. Took a weekish and whammm...he fixed his problem. He still takes both products to this day n pig head is fine. What im trying to say is in a diet EVEN in pets, you need fiber. People think fiber will make you go poop all the time...no....It keeps your plumbing balanced.

In your case I understand dogs can get expensive at the vets. But sometimes our hands are tied and we need to go. I personally found when I re-introduced Duke back to raw he stopped all loose stools. Both on raw and at night Acana Grassland. Works wonderfully. Green frozen tripe is loaded of probiotics. That's their noon snack. Once your baby is back on track, I would start feeding raw (make sure you feed it frozen only!!) Use your meat n freeze it as it will come out less expensive. The most important thing a body needs is broth. Boil a turkey for at least 12 hours n freeze the broth in little ice cub trays or top the kibbles with the broth or ziploc in little bags for your own soups. Broth has the highest nutrients in minerals, calcium, all B vitamins, detoxification, works on the immune system and so on.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Have you tried the pumpkin? The Tylosin powder? If they didn't work,time to take her to vet, or take a stool sample and bring it in. It may be parasites,or giardia. Ask the Vet if they take care credit......
Here is a list of organizations that provide financial assistance. Please check their websites to see if you qualify.

Angels For Animals - Angelsforanimals.org
Brown Dog Foundation - Browndogfoundation.org
Canine Cancer Awareness - Caninecancerawareness.org
Care Credit - Carecredit.com
Cats in Crisis - catsincrisis.org
Extend Credit - Extendcredit.com
Fairy Dog Parents - fairydogparents.org
Frankie's Friends - frankiesfriends.com
Gracie's Mission - graciesmission.org
Paws 4 A Cure - paws4acure.org
Shakespeare Animal Fund - shakespeareanimalfund.org
The Dog and Cat Cancer Fund - DCCFUND.org
The Magic Bullet Fund - Themagicbulletfund.org
The Mosby Foundation - themosbyfoundation.org
The Pet Fund - thepetfund.com
The Riedel & Cody Fund - riedelcodyfund.org
Sam Simon Foundation. Hearing Dogs | Service Dogs for Veterans | The Sam Simon Foundation Assistance Dogs Program

You can also check with National Animal Organizations For More Info.
Alley Cat Allies - alleycat.org
American Humane Association - americanhumane.org
ASPCA - aspca.org
Best Friends Animal Society - bestfriends.org
HSUS - hsus.org
Petsmart Charities - petsmartcharities.org about care credit,that you can pay on time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well. She's been on hamburger & rice for 2 days and I thinj her poo has gotten worse [emoji852] it literally comes spraying out her back end. I was using brown rice and just switched to white rice for her evening feeding last night after reading I should only use white rice. It's hard to tell goes she's feeling bc she is always so lazy. She was on my feet constantly yesterday though! Will the white rice make that big of a difference?? I think her poo should be improving even if I was not using the right rice.

I'd get her poo tested for parasites .. stay on bland diet... instead of rice try egg noodles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'd get her poo tested for parasites .. stay on bland diet... instead of rice try egg noodles

If nothing comes back from testing feces a course of metronidazole still might be helpful. A few members have used it without positive cultures but with liquid stools and gotten good benefits. Also, start on a course of doggie probiotics, preferably a doggie one like Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC, but if not then the sauerkraut from fridge section of health food store or kefir or green tripe.

OP
G

ggengo

Nov 8, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Polkadot
I wasn't sure if I should add pumpkin or not to the bland diet. I feel so heart broken after watching her go out this morning. She's never been this bad. I'm calling to vet in the morning to get her in asap. I was wondering about probiotics for her.. we adopted her when she was around 2 1/2-3... her health has luckily been very good aside from her cherry eyes up until a couplr years ago. I wish we haf gotten her insurance prior to her allergies flaring up and all of that. Hindsight now.
I'll read back over all of these posts again. Send up a puppy prayer for Polkadot if y'all have a minute. I'm kind of expecting the worst news to come from her blood tests but I pray for not. How long does it take to get results from blood work? Thank you again for all of the suggestions and guidance.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I wasn't sure if I should add pumpkin or not to the bland diet. I feel so heart broken after watching her go out this morning. She's never been this bad. I'm calling to vet in the morning to get her in asap. I was wondering about probiotics for her.. we adopted her when she was around 2 1/2-3... her health has luckily been very good aside from her cherry eyes up until a couplr years ago. I wish we haf gotten her insurance prior to her allergies flaring up and all of that. Hindsight now.
I'll read back over all of these posts again. Send up a puppy prayer for Polkadot if y'all have a minute. I'm kind of expecting the worst news to come from her blood tests but I pray for not. How long does it take to get results from blood work? Thank you again for all of the suggestions and guidance.

Definitely would start the probiotic, and the canned pumpkin ( not the one for cakes ) . If you can't find the suggested ones get a plain probiotic greek yoghurt eg. Kirkland brand from Costco. That won't be as effective though as the ones I mentioned previously.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Come on my little Polkadot, YOU GOT THIS! Sending positive vibes your way little trooper!!!! :pray::pray2::pray:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Continued positive thoughts and prayers!!

OP
G

ggengo

Nov 8, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Polkadot
This evening she threw up her food from this morning. Undigested. And now she won't eat anymore food. I'm really hoping this is something treatable and we didn't wait to long to get her back in to the vet.
So tomorrow, hopefully the vet can see her, get a good probiotic for her, meds to get her feeling better, get her started on food with some pumpkin. Still didn't get to that since she's not eating her evening food.
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I'm trying to keep a positive mindset for her but the getting sick this evening threw me for another loop.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
This evening she threw up her food from this morning. Undigested. And now she won't eat anymore food. I'm really hoping this is something treatable and we didn't wait to long to get her back in to the vet.
So tomorrow, hopefully the vet can see her, get a good probiotic for her, meds to get her feeling better, get her started on food with some pumpkin. Still didn't get to that since she's not eating her evening food.
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I'm trying to keep a positive mindset for her but the getting sick this evening threw me for another loop.

Hang in there. Please keep us posted as we are thinking of you n polkadot.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
This is beginning to sound like a blockage issue.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Please keep us posted.... I agree with Chip... sounding like it could be a blockage

OP
G

ggengo

Nov 8, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Polkadot
Evening! It's been a pretty busy week, sorry for the delay.
Lots to report back on and new challenges for us. Any new suggestions or thoughts are welcomed.
Our vet ran some blood tests and her protein levels are way low. He said she has protein loss disease.. her body isn't absorbing the protein from her food. She's lost 3-4 pounds... I could tell she had lost weight and the scale definitely shown it. She's still good as she was a bit chunky for her small stature so I think she will be good IF she would start eating good again. She still isnt though. She's had almost a cup and a half of food today (she's on prescription food for sensitive tummies for now..) and she should be eating double that once she's back to herself.
She is now on a daily probiotic and will remain so forever, which is great. She's also on an anti-diarrhea med and a steroid. Super thirsty, peeing lots, not eating much. Won't take her pills. I keep having to force them back in her mouth in a big smear of peanut butter or she spits them out. She won't take cheese anymore. She took pumpkin for me yesterday but wouldn't today. She's extremely stubborn! I also had to call back the day after appt bc she had gotten sick overnight and had some bad spray poo diarrhea on our living room floor..... if any of you have a sure fire way to get that stench out of our carpet, please share, bc it still smells and I've tried cleaning it a couple times now and am ready for a new approach. So gross. Back to her - They gave me anti nausea meds to get us through that and hopefully get her eating. Those are done and she actually managed to spit out her 2nd day dose today some time after I left this morning. I found them this afternoon on her chair. I kept an eye on her outside today to see how her poo situation is and it's still straight liquid.. the vet didn't notice any odd things while examining her but said next step, if she doesn't respond well to this, will be xrays to see if they notice anything wrong that way. I have a small bit of relief but her lack of eating and liquid poo still has me quite concerned.
This post is long.. my apologies! Thank you for the continued thoughts ☺

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sounds like it could be some form of colitis. Vet should do an abdominal x ray to look for masses or tumour, stool specimen to look for parasites, and a colonoscopy to look for signs of colitis. Histiocytic ulcerative colitis is fairly common in bulldogs and can be cured by a long course of Baytril

Members online

No members online now.