Bella was being bad at the dog park....

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
IMG_8866.JPG
IMG_8864.JPG
She picks out the one dog that is skittish and if they run she is after them...she seems to catch them too! I don't know how.....
What should I do (besides not take her to the dog park)
She had been in there with 15-20 dogs before with no problem. Today there was only her, my daughters pup and two other dogs.
Any advice???
I hate that the smallest dog in there is such a bully!! It was a labradoodle today... that she was after.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How old is she now? Not spayed, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You have to remember something, when there's 15-20dogs she knows she's not the alpha as she's still young and guarantee in them 15-20dogs, there's probably a couple of alpha n she knows to not interfere. She will try one on one but that's when you need to put her to her place immediately. Put her down on her side and let her stay there a good 5 mins. Let the other dog come up n smell her while she still on her side. How is she at home???

OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You have to remember something, when there's 15-20dogs she knows she's not the alpha as she's still young and guarantee in them 15-20dogs, there's probably a couple of alpha n she knows to not interfere. She will try one on one but that's when you need to put her to her place immediately. Put her down on her side and let her stay there a good 5 mins. Let the other dog come up n smell her while she still on her side. How is she at home???

How old is she now? Not spayed, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She is 11 months old and not spayed.. at home they all get along. They play sometimes and get a little rough but I just tell them to stop and they do.
I'll have to try that (putting her down on her side) she's pretty darn strong and squirrly. Lol
I was a little embarrassed yesterday. The other dog was very skittish with all the other dogs but Bella was the one! And her growl usually scares most people. She plays like that at home with our dogs and also with my daughters pup too.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
She is 11 months old and not spayed.. at home they all get along. They play sometimes and get a little rough but I just tell them to stop and they do.
I'll have to try that (putting her down on her side) she's pretty darn strong and squirrly. Lol
I was a little embarrassed yesterday. The other dog was very skittish with all the other dogs but Bella was the one! And her growl usually scares most people. She plays like that at home with our dogs and also with my daughters pup too.

Yes their grunts scares people. They think they are growling but more grunting cause of their length of nose. Nyala does it all the time and Duke doesn't....for now.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

At home and away from home ... you will have two different behaviors for most dogs. Home is comfort zone and familiarity .... away from home, not sure, unknown scents, sounds and sights, as well as different pack order. You could have a very well behaved obedient goofball at home, but get to a dog park and a bossy, dominate, jerk shows up in your dog's body.

For example, with Banks and Cheli we thought for 3 years, Cheli was the sweetest docile little frenchie and we hit the jackpot. When Banks passed away, he was very depressed and when we tried to take him places he was a dominate little jerk - we had to go back to basics with him and re-socialize! he was nasty, turned into a real little, s*it --- we had no clue how much control Banks really had over him. He followed her every lead/move without us realizing it... once she was gone, he lost that lead. Enter Lambeau, and Cheli is a dominate 25lb bossy bully... if we take Cheli out without Lambeau, he is good as gold now... take Lambeau without Cheli and he is LOST.

My point is, what you train at home, does not always carry over to outside places... so, without knowing it, you could have an alpha at home that Bella falls in line to, and when you go to the park with just her... she is a free spirit looking to assert her form of dominance.

hope that makes sense and wasn't to much of a ramble

OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
At home and away from home ... you will have two different behaviors for most dogs. Home is comfort zone and familiarity .... away from home, not sure, unknown scents, sounds and sights, as well as different pack order. You could have a very well behaved obedient goofball at home, but get to a dog park and a bossy, dominate, jerk shows up in your dog's body.

For example, with Banks and Cheli we thought for 3 years, Cheli was the sweetest docile little frenchie and we hit the jackpot. When Banks passed away, he was very depressed and when we tried to take him places he was a dominate little jerk - we had to go back to basics with him and re-socialize! he was nasty, turned into a real little, s*it --- we had no clue how much control Banks really had over him. He followed her every lead/move without us realizing it... once she was gone, he lost that lead. Enter Lambeau, and Cheli is a dominate 25lb bossy bully... if we take Cheli out without Lambeau, he is good as gold now... take Lambeau without Cheli and he is LOST.

My point is, what you train at home, does not always carry over to outside places... so, without knowing it, you could have an alpha at home that Bella falls in line to, and when you go to the park with just her... she is a free spirit looking to assert her form of dominance.

hope that makes sense and wasn't to much of a ramble

Well that says it all!
I assumed she was trying to be dominant. She has been to the park at least 10 times and maybe 2-3 times has been a real "bully" only with a couple of dogs that were somewhat afraid as soon as they walked in the gate.
She isn't like that with the dogs that's seem confident.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well that says it all!
I assumed she was trying to be dominant. She has been to the park at least 10 times and maybe 2-3 times has been a real "bully" only with a couple of dogs that were somewhat afraid as soon as they walked in the gate.
She isn't like that with the dogs that's seem confident.

Assert your 'leadership' with her... makes sure she is aware you are her boss... this way both at home and away, she will be more of the same personality regardless of where you are. Good luck!

OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Assert your 'leadership' with her... makes sure she is aware you are her boss... this way both at home and away, she will be more of the same personality regardless of where you are. Good luck!

I will! I guess I have to follow her around the park? Lol
At least when a new dog comes in to see if she is acting like a little bully.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
If you end up not being able to control her behavior at the dog park and simply cannot take her there anymore, it's not such a bad thing.
I'm not a fan of dog parks. It's kinda like the Chuck E. Cheese of the dog world...a great place to run and play and share fleas and disease. And unlike you, many owners there are not the least bit concerned about their dog's behavior.