Anyone with experience in soft-palate corrective surgery?

OP
U

Ulfberht

Aug 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulfberht
Does anyone have any ideas on how to speed along the process of getting rid of the nasal discharge (snot)? I feel that if we can tackle that, he'll be breathing through his nose again and can then sleep.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does anyone have any ideas on how to speed along the process of getting rid of the nasal discharge (snot)? I feel that if we can tackle that, he'll be breathing through his nose again and can then sleep.

Try a vaporizer ... or sit in bathroom with hot shower to give some steam and loosen the mucus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I've been through this surgery twice with Lola. Terrifying both times, complications similar to yours in this recent surgery - emergency trach, oxygen therapy for two straight days in the hospital, possible aspiration and pneumonia meds. loss of sleep for me and her, scary. i feel for you. keep up the good work.

To clear the airway we use eucalyptus oil dropped in steaming water. we place it under Lola or in front of her and blow gently so she inhales. It's strong, so you should dilute with hot water, steam will carry it and make it easier to inhale. alternatively, put it in the bathtub with hot water running to steam up the room. Don't let him be in the steam too too long though.

OP
U

Ulfberht

Aug 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulfberht
I've been through this surgery twice with Lola. Terrifying both times, complications similar to yours in this recent surgery - emergency trach, oxygen therapy for two straight days in the hospital, possible aspiration and pneumonia meds. loss of sleep for me and her, scary. i feel for you. keep up the good work.

To clear the airway we use eucalyptus oil dropped in steaming water. we place it under Lola or in front of her and blow gently so she inhales. It's strong, so you should dilute with hot water, steam will carry it and make it easier to inhale. alternatively, put it in the bathtub with hot water running to steam up the room. Don't let him be in the steam too too long though.

Did Lola have the thick mucus nasal discharge?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
no mucus discharge really, it was more internal...she couldnt get any deep breaths this most recent time. before the first surgery, her throat would be clogged with mucus and saliva foam.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How are things going... getting better?

OP
U

Ulfberht

Aug 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulfberht
How are things going... getting better?

He is still seriously stuffed up. Nasal discharge, although copious, in no longer bloody. It is a thick cloudy consistancy. He is on a heavy dose of clavimox so I think its just his pissed off airways healing. Doc said the lack of blood is a good sign. I just wish we could clear his sinuses We are wiping this up many times a day. 20170827_123952_resized.jpg 20170827_123953_resized.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He is still seriously stuffed up. Nasal discharge, although copious, in no longer bloody. It is a thick cloudy consistancy. He is on a heavy dose of clavimox so I think its just his pissed off airways healing. Doc said the lack of blood is a good sign. I just wish we could clear his sinuses We are wiping this up many times a day. View attachment 107755 View attachment 107756

Oh my!!! I have never seen it like that... i hope he is healing and praying it is quick.

His eyes look great--- how is he other than the congestion

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Ulfberht I have never seen that either!:no: Perhaps it's a good thing that it is coming out his nose-and not going into his chest? What is the cause,according to the surgeon? Poor little fella' :pray::pray:for his recovery.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Poor little [MENTION=17491]Ulfberht[/MENTION] - we hope he will soon feel better. Can he sleep well now?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh so sad :( Is he getting better day by day? Prayers for your dear one...

OP
U

Ulfberht

Aug 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulfberht
@Ulfberht I have never seen that either!:no: Perhaps it's a good thing that it is coming out his nose-and not going into his chest? What is the cause,according to the surgeon? Poor little fella' :pray::pray:for his recovery.

Talked to the surgeon about it today. He said its like he had a serious sinus infection with all the probing, cutting and trauma his nasal passageway has endured. Serious inflammation caused tissue damage and the snot is just a by-product of that. Boy, its a lot of snot. Never seen so much. He's like a snot machine :tongue:.
Doc didn't seem alarmed too much. And no, he's not getting much sleep. I rigged up a stand with a dowel in between for him to rest his upper jaw on while laying down. This opens his airway and he his able to sleep for 30 minutes or so at a time with his mouth open. Eventually he moves or something and realizes he's sleeping with a dowel in his mouth. Of course (being a Bulldog and all) he then takes the opportunity to chew the dowel in half...........:)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Talked to the surgeon about it today. He said its like he had a serious sinus infection with all the probing, cutting and trauma his nasal passageway has endured. Serious inflammation caused tissue damage and the snot is just a by-product of that. Boy, its a lot of snot. Never seen so much. He's like a snot machine :tongue:.
Doc didn't seem alarmed too much. And no, he's not getting much sleep. I rigged up a stand with a dowel in between for him to rest his upper jaw on while laying down. This opens his airway and he his able to sleep for 30 minutes or so at a time with his mouth open. Eventually he moves or something and realizes he's sleeping with a dowel in his mouth. Of course (being a Bulldog and all) he then takes the opportunity to chew the dowel in half...........:)

oh boy what a sweet heart... I hope ,,, really a lot!! that this clears up soon for all involved :(

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Continued prayers for your boy... please keep us posted

Baxter Tiberius

Apr 16, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
baxter
Crazy timing. Just posted a thread here about post-palate complications too.

Baxter is mostly foaming and his throat is full of phlegm. It noticeably got worse as his prednisone wore off. I can't believe they didn't put your pup on Prednisone in the first place! That seems crazy to me! Two weeks after being on it, as it wore off, he still had some inflammation issues, so I can't imagine going through this without any anti-inflammatory.

My thread shows baxter in a video gagging and foaming at the mouth. I've called the doc and like you - they always 'poo poo' everything, as if its no big deal. Don't get me started on doctors. Nothing's a big deal until you come rushing into the ER I guess. Doctors tend to "guess" at everything.

You know your dog, and you know what's normal and what's not.

We are about 2 weeks and 4 days post surgery and he's still retching a little, and gags once in awhile. Its always after he has food, so there's definitely some play between the stomach digestion and the inflammation I think.

Hope things improve for you. Definitely get some anti-inflammatories in him somehow. I always have to wrap the tablet in some actual chicken or beef. Without that he'd never take even 1 pill

Members online

No members online now.