Anyone with experience in soft-palate corrective surgery?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm just now reading this, I'm SO very sorry... sounds like your boy has some serious sinus issues. Have you tried the vaporizer yet? Or even take him into the bathroom w/the shower going hot full blast? That's what I did when I had near pneumonia and it really helped clear up all that mucous.

OP
U

Ulfberht

Aug 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulfberht
I am sad to day the Ulfberht died at 3:45pm yesteday. Although we saw some improvement in the nasal passageway after the second rinoscopy, the bleeding and mucus returned. The vet surgeon said that we could scope him again, but he wasn't confident that there would be anything he would find that could be fixed. Plus, he was sure that the inflammation would return in force (from tubes and stuff probing his airways) and we would be back to square one like he was a month ago. Poor dog hadn't really slept in nearly two months. You could see physical exhaustion starting to set in. We got to the point where antibiotics/steroids were doing nothing and his quality of life was unacceptable for any animal. We decided to end the suffering. He will be gravely missed. I appreciate all your advice, prayers and comments. I know the Lord works out all things together for good to His own, so we'll be fine. However, I love Bulldogs. I am now starting to see what a tragedy breeding them in their current configuration really is. It makes me wonder, how many Bulldogs are suffering out there due to poor breeding practices. It makes me wonder if it is right to want to own another one. I've always liked Rotties, but Bulldogs have a heart and personality that is unmached. Should I be thinking about buying another someday? Thank you all.

- - - Updated - - -

custommemethumb5643993230.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
This breaks my heart :( I'm beyond sure you did the right thing for that poor soul but I'm so sorry it had to come to that. I too have been in that thought of why oh why are flimsy breeders bringing in these beautiful hearts to go through so much. My heart can hardly take it and I'm so sorry you had to go through this. Thing is, there are ones in need, weather we like it or not, and so thinking of another is not wrong at all. You'll know for your own self, if another is in in the stars for you. Bless your heart for all you did for that boy. So hard :( I pray for peace, and I see you have that faith as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am sad to day the Ulfberht died at 3:45pm yesteday. Although we saw some improvement in the nasal passageway after the second rinoscopy, the bleeding and mucus returned. The vet surgeon said that we could scope him again, but he wasn't confident that there would be anything he would find that could be fixed. Plus, he was sure that the inflammation would return in force (from tubes and stuff probing his airways) and we would be back to square one like he was a month ago. Poor dog hadn't really slept in nearly two months. You could see physical exhaustion starting to set in. We got to the point where antibiotics/steroids were doing nothing and his quality of life was unacceptable for any animal. We decided to end the suffering. He will be gravely missed. I appreciate all your advice, prayers and comments. I know the Lord works out all things together for good to His own, so we'll be fine. However, I love Bulldogs. I am now starting to see what a tragedy breeding them in their current configuration really is. It makes me wonder, how many Bulldogs are suffering out there due to poor breeding practices. It makes me wonder if it is right to want to own another one. I've always liked Rotties, but Bulldogs have a heart and personality that is unmached. Should I be thinking about buying another someday? Thank you all.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 108257

I'm so very sorry fir the loss if your sweet boy! You did all you could to help him have the best care and a great life. Sending you prayers if support .

Rest in peace Ulfberht -- you were greatly loved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Should I be thinking about buying another someday? Thank you all.
Terrible news...I hate reading stories like this. I'm so so sorry for your loss.
We've had done 50+ soft palate surgeries over the past 20 years and only 1 dog was lost. He had an undiagnosed heart issue...never came off the breathing tube.
I recommend that you not consider paying for another bulldog, and seek out rescue instead. You're obviously a good Bully Mom and taking in a rescue would be the single greatest thing you could do for this breed. I also recommend that you seek out another Vet...before you look into another Bulldog. Finding a Bulldog competent Vet can be a challenge.
I wish you all the best.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I'm so very sorry to hear that your Ulfberht has passed away. Wishing you all the best.

SiuMai

Sep 1, 2017
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
SiuMai
My heart goes to u n your family. Take care

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 108257

I am so very very sorry to read this thread. My precious Daphne crossed the rainbow bridge on Sept 1st and I am still raw from it. Please know I am thinking of you and remembering you in my reasonable facsimile of prayer. This is the best group of people ever and they've got your back.
Dana

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Missed this thread and was reading every single post and read the little guy is now gone. Stories like this one gets to me. Confusing as it just doesn't make sense. So many questions n no clear answers. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Members online

No members online now.