Help Needed! EBDP runny nose and sniffles

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
So my baby bear just recently started recovering from parvo. Yesterday around 5 Pm he started sniffling and had a runny nose. Itā€™s continued into tonight and we canā€™t figure out why, weā€™re calling our vet as they arenā€™t open on the weekends and just wanted to get an idea on what is happening or an idea, heā€™s on a very soft liquid food diet right now as his intestines are still healing and we have turned down our ac (itā€™s quite warm in south Texas now) in the hopes of helping him but he still seems to keep running. His eyes are dry and itā€™s literally just his nose any info helps!
433631d23e6b411ac08620264634101e.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You know, with everything Bear is n has gone through, his immune system is basically down. Do your steps with your vet. Donā€™t add anything for time being. All the meds has killed his gut flora which you had no choice either. It needs to be rebuilt. But wait till the vet sees him. Why I suggest Natural Plain Greek Yogurt a couple times a day. Not along with the meds. Either before or after a couple hours. Itā€™s to coat the gut n GY has good bacteria inside. A/C in April? I had snow yesterday n today loll.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
The weather has been hot and humid I wish we had another cold front! But yes we have been giving him the yogurt like you have suggested hopefully heā€™ll start being himself fully again, he keeps us on our toes medically and emotionally lol also can I ask about the Nuvet product all over this forum, do you have any knowledge on it? If so would you recommend it for someone like bear? Iā€™ve read over it and like what I see but also truly trust firsthand experience!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Itā€™s basically a supplement. I personally donā€™t use it but a few members do. Iā€™ll leave it to them answer you. Since my dogs are on a raw diet I donā€™t give them any supplements. Iā€™m more on the holistic side. I use essential oils, every other day Oil of Oregano which is Mother Nature antibiotic. So why I donā€™t use supplements.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Thatā€™s incredibly interesting, may I ask where you get your information from? Iā€™d like to look more into holistic remedies for our pup as years ago my aunt had a EBD and took him to the vet for a simple vaccination while he was there they gave him the wrong shot in a very large dose and it just so happens that that T-Bone was extremely allergic to the medication administered to him and he passed before they could really do anything, he was about to turn 5. Itā€™s kind of made our family a bit apprehensive about vets and blindly trusting them, itā€™s been a bit hard with bears whole ordeal so Iā€™m open to any information on natural remedies!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry to your baby is not feeling well. He truly needs probiotict, but from what I've heard milk priducts can cause Phlegm and could be that yoghurt makes the ituation worse even though it has probiotics which he also needs. Maybe you can get a liquid type that is usually given to human babies.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thatā€™s incredibly interesting, may I ask where you get your information from? Iā€™d like to look more into holistic remedies for our pup as years ago my aunt had a EBD and took him to the vet for a simple vaccination while he was there they gave him the wrong shot in a very large dose and it just so happens that that T-Bone was extremely allergic to the medication administered to him and he passed before they could really do anything, he was about to turn 5. Itā€™s kind of made our family a bit apprehensive about vets and blindly trusting them, itā€™s been a bit hard with bears whole ordeal so Iā€™m open to any information on natural remedies!!

Iā€™ve been doing this for decades so itā€™s not something you change in one shot. There are websites I trust n some I take n leave. But again itā€™s even before websites. When using oils, plz ask if youā€™re not sure. Oils are extremely powerful n not to be used if you donā€™t know what to use or mix. That being said get bear on track first.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/57090-holistic-approach.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
So sorry to your baby is not feeling well. He truly needs probiotict, but from what I've heard milk priducts can cause Phlegm and could be that yoghurt makes the ituation worse even though it has probiotics which he also needs. Maybe you can get a liquid type that is usually given to human babies.

Yes definitely as we both know, this pup needs probiotics ASAP. Interesting you say that as I never had issues. Mind you, GY isnā€™t that high in probiotics either. I would go with fermented foods. But not in his case. Interesting, one of them...damm you do n damm you donā€™t situation.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So my baby bear just recently started recovering from parvo. Yesterday around 5 Pm he started sniffling and had a runny nose. Itā€™s continued into tonight and we canā€™t figure out why, weā€™re calling our vet as they arenā€™t open on the weekends and just wanted to get an idea on what is happening or an idea, heā€™s on a very soft liquid food diet right now as his intestines are still healing and we have turned down our ac (itā€™s quite warm in south Texas now) in the hopes of helping him but he still seems to keep running. His eyes are dry and itā€™s literally just his nose any info helps!
433631d23e6b411ac08620264634101e.jpg

how is he doing?

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
how is he doing?

Really good! Our Vet owns her clinic and her mother was actually a veterinarian so we called up and ended up chatting with her mom and she agreed that with all heā€™s been through he should be seen ASAP so weā€™re going in the morning at 10:30 to give him a checkup and see whatā€™s making him sneeze so much, but he got his last antibiotic this morning heā€™s getting his last dose of anti nausea and rebound in the morning so we will just be giving him his iv and anti diarrhea gel until the vet says otherwise or we run out but he is doing extremely well, poops are solid and heā€™s eating like a champ. Weā€™re going to chat and see when we should wean him on to dry food. We think weā€™re going to go with taste of the wild high prairie puppy food. Itā€™s grain free which Iā€™ve been told is incredibly important! Iā€™ve honestly never stressed so much about dog food in my life [emoji28]
180ac1627300d9923e95d9feac69070e.jpg

When he gets the thumbs up from the vet weā€™re getting him a new bed and will re purchase toys and sanitize toys like his king and hedgehog!! But this was him a minute ago haha

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Really good! Our Vet owns her clinic and her mother was actually a veterinarian so we called up and ended up chatting with her mom and she agreed that with all heā€™s been through he should be seen ASAP so weā€™re going in the morning at 10:30 to give him a checkup and see whatā€™s making him sneeze so much, but he got his last antibiotic this morning heā€™s getting his last dose of anti nausea and rebound in the morning so we will just be giving him his iv and anti diarrhea gel until the vet says otherwise or we run out but he is doing extremely well, poops are solid and heā€™s eating like a champ. Weā€™re going to chat and see when we should wean him on to dry food. We think weā€™re going to go with taste of the wild high prairie puppy food. Itā€™s grain free which Iā€™ve been told is incredibly important! Iā€™ve honestly never stressed so much about dog food in my life [emoji28]

When he gets the thumbs up from the vet weā€™re getting him a new bed and will re purchase toys and sanitize toys like his king and hedgehog!! But this was him a minute ago haha

FYI, taste of the wild n blue Buffalo gets a lot of recalls as they are kibbles thatā€™s contracted out so they use the same facilities for other products. Since Bear has been through a lot n had a huge hit on the immune system, I would suggest to you Orijen. Itā€™s high in calories with good fats, high in meat protein n supplements n grain free. Definitely that would be the way to go.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

He is too freaking adorable! Let us know how the appointment goes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] looks like our little Castor. Little cutie.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@cefe13 looks like our little Castor. Little cutie.

Yes, he does, doesn't he?! So funny, too, that Bear looks like a Castor (=Latin for beaver) :D

And [MENTION=20191]Sidxeyx[/MENTION], did you know that in Swedish, 'bear' is a boy's name: Bjƶrn?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
When I first saw little bear I saw Castor. Btw, Castor is French for beaver. :yes:

Members online

No members online now.