Thread: Rapidly worsening skin problem

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Millie and Thornton
    Likes (Received)

Default Rapidly worsening skin problem

Hello,

I have a 7 year old English bulldog that was just diagnosed with Cushings disease. We havenít started the meds(trilostane) because they were ordered Friday and should arrive tomorrow. In the meantime, Millie has developed severe spreading ulcerations on her skin. Sheís been on antibiotics for 2 weeks now and itís getting worse pretty rapidly. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience on what this could be or if itís related to the cushings. I had biopsies taken last week and am waiting on those results too. Any advice would be appreciated. Iím very worried. -b70dfa3b-3f76-4af8-b6e9-9a680ade0ea0-jpeg-b0d1b621-41eb-4a3b-8c69-eab0deec90e6-jpeg-59b052cb-db45-492a-85eb-95a0f81c6445-jpeg

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Rapidly worsening skin problem

Your poor baby. Sorry, I have no experience with this but I am sure someone will be along to help. I hope you can get it all sorted out soon.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

3. Likes Sedaves liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Sorry Millie is going through this. I'm thinking it might be an allergic reaction to the antibiotic, so it might be worth not giving it tonight and starting Millie on some diphenhydramine 1 mg/pound 2-3 times daily until tomorrow when you speak to vet.

5. Likes Sedaves, helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Millie and Thornton
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, it did start before the antibiotics, which is the reason they prescribed them, but they haven’t helped at all. I guess at this point it wont hurt to stop them. I have been giving her Benadryl intermittently and started Rimadyl three days ago too. It’s just alarming the rate this is spreading. I will definitely ask the vet about a possible allergy tomorrow.

7. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sedaves View Post
    Thanks, it did start before the antibiotics, which is the reason they prescribed them, but they haven’t helped at all. I guess at this point it wont hurt to stop them. I have been giving her Benadryl intermittently and started Rimadyl three days ago too. It’s just alarming the rate this is spreading. I will definitely ask the vet about a possible allergy tomorrow.
    In that case it's not caused by the antibiotic. I would say it's either a staphylococcal or fungal skin infection, which cushings can make the dog prone to. Which antibiotic is she on? Usual antibiotic is cephalexin. If not painful you may want to leave some chlorhexidine or betadine shampoo on for 10 minutes and wash off.

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Poor baby! Maybe Nustock will help clear it up... it smells to high heaven but works Greta
    @ddnene any insight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

11. Likes Sedaves, Dollys Owner, helsonwheels liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Millie and Thornton
    Likes (Received)

I am hoping this is related to the Cushings and will start to resolve once the meds are started. I was cleaning it with chlorhexadine wash at first. Since the biopsies have been done and she has a few stitches, I’ve been rinsing with warm salt water daily and applying animax ointment, which seems to be drying it out some. She’s on clindamycin orally because she had vomiting and diarrhea in the past with cephalexin. *Sigh* she’s had skin issues since she was a pup but nothing this bad. These are bleeding and skin thickening. It’s even on her anus skin and a new spot popped up yesterday on her neck. I’m considering a raw diet too.

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Millie and Thornton
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, I will check it out.

Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Poor baby! Maybe Nustock will help clear it up... it smells to high heaven but works Greta
    @ddnene any insight

Or if you happen to have any Rx fucidin or bactroban cream, those would be good too.

I don't really like clindamycin in humans, since it's got a high rate of causing clostridia difficile diarrhea in humans. I'm not sure about dogs. Maybe the vet can try an injection of Cefovecin injectable, 8 mg/kg SQ , which lasts for 14 days. He should also check if there's any yeast growing.

I would definitely start her on some probiotics, either a commercial dog probiotic or something like sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store.

Raw food would be especially helpful if she has allergies, but I don't see it hurting to start it anyways since it's got less carbohydrates to feed the yeast/

16. Likes Sedaves, helsonwheels, 2BullyMama, ddnene liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    @ddnene any insight

My boxer had cushings disease, but she didn't have any skin issues... we did put her on a raw diet, and she thrived on it. I would say this is allergies, and changing her food would help tremendously... have you ever had her tested for allergies?

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

@Sedaves How's Millie doing today?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Millie and Thornton
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    My boxer had cushings disease, but she didn't have any skin issues... we did put her on a raw diet, and she thrived on it. I would say this is allergies, and changing her food would help tremendously... have you ever had her tested for allergies?
    Iíve been looking up raw recipes. Did you make your own or buy pre-made?

She definitely has allergies, but I havenít had her tested. I went through two years of skin infections when I finally found a food that worked for her. Theyíve been on the same food for 4-5 years now with no issues. The vet had recommended I switch foods due to the pea/taurine issue and this all started when I switched their food. Iíve since put them back on their old food. In the past, the skin problems were just multiple quarter sized crusty/red spots that lost a little fur.

Was your boxer on trilostane? If so, how did that work for her?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads