Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 53

Thread: Rapidly worsening skin problem

  1. #13
    Newbie Sedaves's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    14
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Millie and Thornton
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default Re: Rapidly worsening skin problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    @Sedaves How's Millie doing today?
    Thanks for asking. The new spot on her neck seems to be growing. I’m hoping for the biopsy results to be in today or tomorrow.

  2. Likes Dollys Owner, 2BullyMama liked this post
  3. #14
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    13,823
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    7307

    Default Re: Rapidly worsening skin problem

    I bought the pre-made patties at my local pet store, and she thrived on them.

    I think your babies issues are definitely food related... what are they eating now? Raw has made a huge difference for my Walter, he is my allergy baby. I also (after having allergy testing done) get him Cytopoint injections, and that has helped as well.

    I honestly don't remember the meds that Roxie was taking, I will have to do some digging... she passed over 5 years ago. She was 10 years old, which is pretty old for her breed...

    I actually joined a cushings group on FB, and they helped me tremendously... let me know if you are interested and I can give you more info.

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  4. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
  5. #15
    Newbie Sedaves's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    14
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Millie and Thornton
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default Re: Rapidly worsening skin problem

    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I bought the pre-made patties at my local pet store, and she thrived on them.

    I think your babies issues are definitely food related... what are they eating now? Raw has made a huge difference for my Walter, he is my allergy baby. I also (after having allergy testing done) get him Cytopoint injections, and that has helped as well.

    I honestly don't remember the meds that Roxie was taking, I will have to do some digging... she passed over 5 years ago. She was 10 years old, which is pretty old for her breed...

    I actually joined a cushings group on FB, and they helped me tremendously... let me know if you are interested and I can give you more info.
    They’ve been on Zignature which has worked well for them. Millie’s skin is the worst by far, but I noticed Thornton started to develop some of the red crusty patches after switching too. His seem to be resolving on their own now that they’re back on their old food.

    Awe! I had two boxers. The male lived to 9.5 and got lymphoma. The female lived to 15!!! Great dogs. I was planning on making my own food, but may just swing by my local dog food store to see what they have available.

    I will check out Facebook. I haven’t really searched anything on there. Just joined this forum to see if anyone has ever had anything that looked like what Millie has. She is starting the cushings med today.

  6. Likes Dollys Owner, ddnene liked this post
  7. #16
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,036
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    12249

    Default Re: Rapidly worsening skin problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedaves View Post
    They’ve been on Zignature which has worked well for them. Millie’s skin is the worst by far, but I noticed Thornton started to develop some of the red crusty patches after switching too. His seem to be resolving on their own now that they’re back on their old food.

    Awe! I had two boxers. The male lived to 9.5 and got lymphoma. The female lived to 15!!! Great dogs. I was planning on making my own food, but may just swing by my local dog food store to see what they have available.

    I will check out Facebook. I haven’t really searched anything on there. Just joined this forum to see if anyone has ever had anything that looked like what Millie has. She is starting the cushings med today.
    Just go raw. So worth it... I was at the vet this morning for Jake has a little eyelash problem but I’m on it... Vet even said to keep up the raw as he was really amazed how a beautiful skin/coat he had. He said there’s so many skin issues on EB n yours is perfect. Jake also developed a little rash from this new collar n I’ve been using NuStock and he’s all for that too. I started 2 days ago and almost gone. So don’t break your head n just put them on a raw diet. Here’s a link that will help you if you want to do it. Follow the ratio to balance the meals out. Very simple.

    https://blog.homesalive.ca/how-much-raw-food-for-dogs

    https://dogsfirst.ie/raw-faq/raw-diet-for-dogs/

  8. Likes 2BullyMama, Dollys Owner, Sedaves liked this post
  9. #17
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    BabyDuke's Avatar
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    1,222
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default Re: Rapidly worsening skin problem

    HI There. I am sorry I am late to this thread but wanted to share as our EB ( he is almost 4) has / had - it has started to dry up and heal finally the almost identical thing in same spot.
    We in the beginning thought it was ring worm, it was light pink round marks, had a ring worm test done and it came back 3 weeks later ( they actually have to grow the culture ) as negative. From there we had a skin scraping done and a skin cytology test.
    We gave him antibiotics and he was on a low dose steroid ( 5 mg ) and apoqual. Our bully is allergic to almost everything. I have researched out the rear end everything about skin issues. I have begun to switch him to a raw diet and also after trying SO many prescription creams and sprays tried Nu Stock cream. It is the ONLY thing that has worked. we are on week two and all the lesions are very dry and starting to fall off and the skin underneath is white. I weaned Oliver off prednisone and I am beginning to give him curcumin ( tumeric) supplements I have read this is excellent for inflammation of the skin. My vet who at this point is guessing wanted him to have surgery to remove them. This is our 2nd bulldog with major skin issues. WE have spent thousands at the University of Penn dermatology for them to tell us to give him zrtec and apoqual. so I am taking the holistic route and will keep you posted. I truly believe that all the meds they give these bullies cause even more skin issues. When their immune system gets compromised , the body reacts. In the interim I would highly recommend the Nu Stock cream! Also if your bully is itchy I give a combo Benadryl in am and zrtec pm. Good Luck!

  10. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels, Sedaves, ddnene liked this post
  11. #18
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,036
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    12249

    Default Re: Rapidly worsening skin problem

    @BabyDuke, you are bang on!!! Yes definitely keep us posted.

    Love your name babyduke

  12. Likes BabyDuke, 2BullyMama, Sedaves liked this post
  13. #19
    Newbie Sedaves's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    14
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Millie and Thornton
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default Re: Rapidly worsening skin problem

    Update:

    The biopsy results came in and it’s Calcinosis cutis. My vet is now recommending I get it cultured because the pathologist said it can be infected and have antibiotic resistant bacteria. I’m to stop the antibiotics and not clean it at all until her appointment on Monday to ensure they get a good sample for culture. I’m the meantime, she’s started the trilostane and the whole house smelled like farts when I got home. Fingers crossed stinky gas (which is her norm anyways) is the only side effect.

    Any ideas on how I can get her to stop scratching her neck? A cone or donut will rub on her already horrible neck skin...

  14. Likes helsonwheels, ddnene liked this post
  15. #20
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,744
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1803

    Default Re: Rapidly worsening skin problem

    @BabyDuke , great work ! If you find the allergies get bad, try Cytopoint instead of Apoquel and prednisone, it's considered quite a bit safer !

  16. Likes helsonwheels, ddnene liked this post
  17. #21
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,744
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1803

    Default Re: Rapidly worsening skin problem

    Sorry to hear @Sedaves . Try antihistamine and oatmeal bath, and continue chlorhexidine bath twice a week after. Have her wear a t-shirt. I'm going to paste some info from a vet manual:

    TREATMENT OVERVIEW
    In most patients with calcinosis cutis, lesions slowly resolve spontaneously once the underlying disease is controlled or resolved.

    ACUTE GENERAL TREATMENT
    Discontinue or reduce dosage of systemic corticosteroids.
    Oral antihistamines and bathing with oatmeal-based shampoo may be effective in controlling pruritus associated with
    calcinosis cutis.
    CHRONIC TREATMENT
    Topical dimethyl sulfoxide applied to up to one-third of body each treatment may dissolve the calcium. If lesions are extensive,
    serum calcium levels should be monitored for hypercalcemia with this therapy.
    Hydrotherapy and frequent bathing with antibacterial shampoo will reduce pruritus and potential for secondary bacterial infection.

    PROGNOSIS AND OUTCOME
    Calcinosis cutis may regress spontaneously without treatment over weeks to months, with resolution or control of the
    underlying disease.
    Recurrence of calcinosis circumscripta lesions post surgical excision does not occur

  18. Likes Sedaves, 2BullyMama liked this post
  19. #22
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,036
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    12249

    Default Re: Rapidly worsening skin problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedaves View Post
    Update:

    The biopsy results came in and it’s Calcinosis cutis. My vet is now recommending I get it cultured because the pathologist said it can be infected and have antibiotic resistant bacteria. I’m to stop the antibiotics and not clean it at all until her appointment on Monday to ensure they get a good sample for culture. I’m the meantime, she’s started the trilostane and the whole house smelled like farts when I got home. Fingers crossed stinky gas (which is her norm anyways) is the only side effect.

    Any ideas on how I can get her to stop scratching her neck? A cone or donut will rub on her already horrible neck skin...
    Not much you can do as it needs to air out. Supervision. Vet wraps are breathable but definitely has to air out.

    Btw, what’s your old food? Why don’t you start topping their meals with tripe. Just simply go to your pet shops and gets in the freezer section the green smelly tripe. Give one pattie per days especially in this case. Also do add fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies. Probiotics will get the immune system back on track. It’s the way to go.

  20. Likes Dollys Owner, Sedaves, 2BullyMama liked this post
  21. #23
    Newbie Sedaves's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    14
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Millie and Thornton
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default Re: Rapidly worsening skin problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    Sorry to hear @Sedaves . Try antihistamine and oatmeal bath, and continue chlorhexidine bath twice a week after. Have her wear a t-shirt. I'm going to paste some info from a vet manual:

    TREATMENT OVERVIEW
    In most patients with calcinosis cutis, lesions slowly resolve spontaneously once the underlying disease is controlled or resolved.

    ACUTE GENERAL TREATMENT
    Discontinue or reduce dosage of systemic corticosteroids.
    Oral antihistamines and bathing with oatmeal-based shampoo may be effective in controlling pruritus associated with
    calcinosis cutis.
    CHRONIC TREATMENT
    Topical dimethyl sulfoxide applied to up to one-third of body each treatment may dissolve the calcium. If lesions are extensive,
    serum calcium levels should be monitored for hypercalcemia with this therapy.
    Hydrotherapy and frequent bathing with antibacterial shampoo will reduce pruritus and potential for secondary bacterial infection.

    PROGNOSIS AND OUTCOME
    Calcinosis cutis may regress spontaneously without treatment over weeks to months, with resolution or control of the
    underlying disease.
    Recurrence of calcinosis circumscripta lesions post surgical excision does not occur

    Ok, good info to know. I’ve been giving Benadryl once per day but I may start giving it twice. I’ll definitely start washing with oatmeal wash after the culture. Plus, they are transitioning to raw food...Hoping all these things will help her recover and be more comfortable.

    I really appreciate all the responses and advice! This was so sudden and severe. I’ll keep you updated.

  22. Likes Dollys Owner, 2BullyMama liked this post
  23. #24
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,744
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1803

    Default Re: Rapidly worsening skin problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedaves View Post
    Ok, good info to know. I’ve been giving Benadryl once per day but I may start giving it twice. I’ll definitely start washing with oatmeal wash after the culture. Plus, they are transitioning to raw food...Hoping all these things will help her recover and be more comfortable.

    I really appreciate all the responses and advice! This was so sudden and severe. I’ll keep you updated.
    She looks like she's really itchy! I would give Benadryl 3 times a day if you can.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •