Sleepersd

Dec 14, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pixi
Hi everyone
Itā€™s my first post here.I have a 12 years old bulldog.He is great dog,my best friend through all this years,but he went through a lot so far.They removed his ear canals,he had two other small surgeries,he recently had pneumonia,but he is still great and strong.
I realized that in past few months he start biting if I try to push him in the morning from the bed to take him out,he never ever did this before,never try to bite anyone.Now for past 6-8 months is almost impossible to take him out.If you donā€™t drag him or almost carry him down,I have a feeling that he wouldnā€™t go ever outside.today I left him to sleep and he slept till 3:30pm so I just decided to wake him up and to take him outside.I know that is not good for him to hold and not to go out for that long,but when you try to take him down or outside he is trying to bite.than he is active maybe for few hours and than he is starting to breath really fast and loud every night,I realized that he is fighting not to fall to sleep and he can breath like that for couple hours.
I donā€™t know what to do and why he doesnā€™t want to go out at all ,itā€™s not possible that In his age he can hold for 15 hours without going to bathroom.Also what to do and if anyone experienced same thing with your dog,that he is fighting every night not to fall asleep and that he breath really fast and really loud every night.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome... it sounds like your baby is in pain. Could be arthritis.... is he on any medication or supplements?

I use Movoflex, but you can also use many other natural supplements to help.

Have you had a full evaluation done with your vet lately? Thyroid level checks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Welcome... it sounds like your baby is in pain. Could be arthritis.... is he on any medication or supplements?

I use Movoflex, but you can also use many other natural supplements to help.

Have you had a full evaluation done with your vet lately? Thyroid level checks?
ā–²ā–²ā–²ā–²THISā–²ā–²ā–²ā–²

also...

I'd consider having him evaluated for congestive heart failure. He may be retaining fluid and hasn't the energy to get off the bed to go pee. If he's the least bit over weight, get him leaned down...this is VERY VERY important! Congestive heart failure is common in older bulldogs. If he has this condition it can be managed to a point, depending on the severity, with medication(diuretics). An enlarged weak heart muscle has less room to work and cannot pump blood efficiently. Blood flow through the kidneys is not adequate to remove fluid waste and fluid collected in the chest cavity further restricts heart/lung function. It becomes a viscous circle. I hope I'm wrong and there is a more simple solution to his problem...he's been through enough. It's obvious that you've done your best to provide for him...I hope he can get past this.
Please keep us posted.

OP
Sleepersd

Sleepersd

Dec 14, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pixi
Thank you for your answer.maybe week ago I start giving him Rimadyl and Gabapentin.I didnā€™t realize that there is any change with his breathing or getting him out.
Iā€™m surprised that his heavy breathing is starting only at night .

OP
Sleepersd

Sleepersd

Dec 14, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pixi
Thanks for your response.
They did tell me few months ago after they found out that he has pneumonia that his Hart is also enlarged.He is now on Gabapentin and Rimadyl.My only problem is that he is ok with breathing during the day,but every night he is starting with heavy breathing.I have feeling that he is also fighting not to fall a sleep,his eyes are closing but he doesnā€™t want to lay down. I think that Iā€™ll have to take him again to the vet .

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
IT IS HARD WATCHING THEM DECLINE, NOTHING IS SWEETER OR
MORE DEAR THAN A SENIOR BULLDOG. YOU'VE DONE A GREAT JOB
OF HIS CARE FOR HIM TO BE 12 YEARS OLD, WOW!

IS YOUR HOME A TWO STORY, IF SO, CAN YOU CRATE HIM OR MOVE
HIS BED DOWNSTAIRS? JUST MIGHT BE TOO MUCH FOR HIM.

I HAVE A 10 YEAR OLD GIRL THAT IS IN DECLINE WITH A
PROGRESSIVE DISEASE. WE'VE HAD A COUPLE OF TOUGH EPISODES
AND AT THE POINT WHERE I STEELED MYSELF TO SAY GOODBYE, SHE
BOUNCED BACK. WHEN HER QUALITY OF LIFE IS A STRUGGLE OR SHE'S
IN PAIN THEN I WILL PUT HER TO SLEEP. A VERY TOUGH THING BUT MY
FINAL ACT OF LOVE DONE FOR HER BENEFIT, BELOVED GIRL <3

WILL KEEP Y'ALL IN PRAYER, PLEASE UPDATE US ON HIS PROGRESS, HUGS!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
He is probably uncomfortable from fluid retention and cannot go to sleep. Lying down puts pressure on the chest cavity.
If you want you can test for fluid yourself. Have him stand and place your open left hand on the right side of his chest. With your right hand take two fingers and tap the left side of his chest. Can you feel the tap with your open left hand? If so, there is likely fluid in chest cavity and he needs Lasix right away. Lasix is a diuretic that will help his shed that fluid and give him great comfort. If this is the case, the change will be dramatic and rapid.
Why is he taking the Gabapentin? Seizures? It is certainly possible that this drug is causing/contributing to his laziness.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
ā–²ā–²ā–²ā–²THISā–²ā–²ā–²ā–²

also...

I'd consider having him evaluated for congestive heart failure. He may be retaining fluid and hasn't the energy to get off the bed to go pee. If he's the least bit over weight, get him leaned down...this is VERY VERY important! Congestive heart failure is common in older bulldogs. If he has this condition it can be managed to a point, depending on the severity, with medication(diuretics). An enlarged weak heart muscle has less room to work and cannot pump blood efficiently. Blood flow through the kidneys is not adequate to remove fluid waste and fluid collected in the chest cavity further restricts heart/lung function. It becomes a viscous circle. I hope I'm wrong and there is a more simple solution to his problem...he's been through enough. It's obvious that you've done your best to provide for him...I hope he can get past this.
Please keep us posted.

Just having read this post, this was my thought! Fluid retention will affect all functions. I hope you will havechecked out. I had a dog with chf, and she lived 3 more years on meds to reduce fluid. Most illnesses do seem to be worse at night. I believe the atmosphere is heavier. Please have Pixi checked out now. She has the right to be all she can be

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=17865]Sleepersd[/MENTION] any updates? Great advise above!

OP
Sleepersd

Sleepersd

Dec 14, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pixi
He is probably uncomfortable from fluid retention and cannot go to sleep. Lying down puts pressure on the chest cavity.
If you want you can test for fluid yourself. Have him stand and place your open left hand on the right side of his chest. With your right hand take two fingers and tap the left side of his chest. Can you feel the tap with your open left hand? If so, there is likely fluid in chest cavity and he needs Lasix right away. Lasix is a diuretic that will help his shed that fluid and give him great comfort. If this is the case, the change will be dramatic and rapid.
Why is he taking the Gabapentin? Seizures? It is certainly possible that this drug is causing/contributing to his laziness.

Thank you for the tips

As soon as I get home Iā€™ll do the test,but whatever you said it does make a lot of sense.Where I can get Lasix,is that prescription drug or I can just buy it.I want to try to give that to him.
Also I donā€™t know why is he on Gabapentin.I called the vet to give me something for his arthritis,for pain and this is what she gave me.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ladix is available by scrip only. Vet should be the one to prescribe ONLY after confirming its need for treatment. One would not want to dose it to a dog that doesnā€™t need it. Ask you Vet about perhaps using Tramadol in place of the Gabo. You have a senior with a well worn ticker. If we live long enough it will happen to us too. Thereā€™s only but so many beats in a heart over a lifetime. Itā€™s time to begin to consider his comfort of all other things. That being said, I think heā€™s still got some quality time left if you and your Vet can get him over this hump in the road.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for the tips

As soon as I get home Iā€™ll do the test,but whatever you said it does make a lot of sense.Where I can get Lasix,is that prescription drug or I can just buy it.I want to try to give that to him.
Also I donā€™t know why is he on Gabapentin.I called the vet to give me something for his arthritis,for pain and this is what she gave me.

Gabapentin is a never blocker ... it fakes the brain into thinking it is not in pain. it was prescribed to my girl due to he hip and back arthritis along with tramadol.

Please let us know what your vet says ... I would also ask for xrays to be done to get some answers on where the pain is... fluid, joints, heart...

sending lots of prayers to you baby

Members online

No members online now.