Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: URGENT!! Advise needed please!! TPLO Surgery on both knees...

Bulldog Vet in Training Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Default URGENT!! Advise needed please!! TPLO Surgery on both knees...

Wrong post. Lol
    "Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

Mommy of Lockjaw and Penny

2. Likes 2BullyMama, rjisaterp liked this post
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nico and Tia
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: URGENT!! Advise needed please!! TPLO Surgery on both knees...

Hi, I just saw this... we have been through 2 surgeries with Tia, 1 for each leg; not 2 at the same time (just the thought make me queasy :-)) There's advice I used all over this forum if you just do a search on TPLO. Since I see you've had the surgery and have the directions from doctor then you should be all set. When the medication wears off and Carl starts feeling a little better make sure you have lots of things ready to keep him occupied. Stuffed kongs, I freeze a peanut butter and yogurt mix in the kong and it make it last longer frozen. A couple of special chew toys like nylabone or antlers that I switched in and out to keep the new feeling there. Make sure you are watching so that he isn't chasing the kong all over, I used these in the kennel when I wasn't going to be around.

Also when he starts to feel better you will really need to watch because they think they are better and try to do crazy things to get freedom. We set up the family room with her kennel and a doggy fence around it because I hated her being in a kennel so much, well when I came home from work one day she had tried to jump the fence. So when we were gone, we could only kennel. When we were in the same room with her we kept her on a leash so I could grab her if she tried to get upstairs or play with her brother. It's so hard because they want to be with you so we lived in the family room for 8 weeks.

Don't fall for the sad face... I know it's hard but believe me you don't want to ever have to go through this again. Good Luck!

4. Likes 2BullyMama, brittanync, rjisaterp liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brittanync View Post
    Hello,

My two year old English Bulldog, Carl, will be undergoing TPLO surgery on both legs TODAY. To be honest I'm a complete mess and one worried Momma! (Being 7 months pregnant doesn't help either with my emotions!) Other than him being nurtured, neither of us have any experience with surgery and recovery. Initially we thought, he would just be having surgery on his left knee, but after further testing at his consultation appointment, the surgeon recommended to have surgery on the other knee as well. With evident damage already, he said Carl wouldn't make it another 6 months, if that, before we would have to go through this process again. He said the recovery would be a little tougher in the beginning, but the benefit of having only one surgery and one recovery process will out-weigh everything.

Does anyone else have any experience with TPLO surgery?? Especially both knees at the same time. My husband and I want to make his recovery process as smooth as possible for him! Any advice will be greatly appreciate!!

Thank you!

The gang sure has you covered.... hoping all is going well with just a few days in. Sending lots of prayers for a quick recovery --- please keep us posted.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

6. Likes brittanync, rjisaterp liked this post
    Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Carl
    Likes (Received)

Yes, the first two nights were very rough! Mainly because he couldn't get comfortable. Right now, it's getting to the point he's super restless. Prior to this, he was a very energetic dog. Laying around and resting is not him. We pulled out a few early Christmas presents (chew bones) to help with the boredom/depression while he lays there. He seems be walking on his own just fine, but it makes me extremely nervous that he'll hurt himself. But I'm sure I'm being over protected and he knows his limits. We start the range of motion exercises tomorrow, so we shall see out it goes! I'm sure he's not going to like them. We've been using frozen vegetables as well for icing! How long did you ice his legs? His post op papers said 3-5 days, but I feel like he would benefit longer, (even though he hates it). That's for the melatonin idea!!! I didn't even think about that!

8. Likes 2BullyMama, rjisaterp liked this post
    Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Carl
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the advice! Last night, we pulled out some early Christmas gifts (chew bones) to cheer him up. Going from a very energetic dog to having to lay around and rest has been very hard for him. I'll have to try the stuffed kings! That's a great idea!

I know what you mean... We pulled the mattress from our spare room into our living room so we could all be together at night. He's slept in the same bed as us since we brought him home. It's going to be a long 8 weeks, but I know it'll be worth it. =)

10. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Yes, the first two nights were very rough! Mainly because he couldn't get comfortable. Right now, it's getting to the point he's super restless. Prior to this, he was a very energetic dog. Laying around and resting is not him. We pulled out a few early Christmas presents (chew bones) to help with the boredom/depression while he lays there. He seems be walking on his own just fine, but it makes me extremely nervous that he'll hurt himself. But I'm sure I'm being over protected and he knows his limits. We start the range of motion exercises tomorrow, so we shall see out it goes! I'm sure he's not going to like them. We've been using frozen vegetables as well for icing! How long did you ice his legs? His post op papers said 3-5 days, but I feel like he would benefit longer, (even though he hates it). That's for the melatonin idea!!! I didn't even think about that!

Get some raw marrow bones from you rbutcher or grocers freezer....they are grea tattention and energy getters
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

12. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brittany, please stay diligent and limit activity...no jumping, climbing, running, etc. I am glad Carl is doing well in his recovery.

14. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Carl
    Likes (Received)

Again, thanks everyone for commenting!! I really appreciate it! We're almost 4 weeks out and Carl has been doing great! Better than I have imagined to be honest. He's starting to feel like his normal self, so it's been very hard keeping him for running, climbing, and jumping. I feel like a bad bully mom whenever I get on to him and remind him he can't do that stuff right now. I know he doesn't understand why it was ok before but not ok now. =( However, I know in the long run, this is what's best for him! He had his staples removed two weeks ago and both of his incisions are completely healed. Surprisingly, his hair is growing back quicker than I had anticipated after reading some of your posts. Unfortunately with that, comes extreme itching. I feel so bad for him because he tries his best to scratch it, but he just can not reach his backside. lol He's already on Apoquel and Zyrtec for his allergies, but I was wondering if anyone had any home remedy suggestions? I recently bought Burt's Bee Soothing Anti Itch Spray, so I'm hoping that will give him some relief.

Thanks, again!!

16. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

That's awesome news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

Mommy of Lockjaw and Penny

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster McLovin
    Likes (Received)

Again, thanks everyone for commenting!! I really appreciate it! We're almost 4 weeks out and Carl has been doing great! Better than I have imagined to be honest. He's starting to feel like his normal self, so it's been very hard keeping him for running, climbing, and jumping. I feel like a bad bully mom whenever I get on to him and remind him he can't do that stuff right now. I know he doesn't understand why it was ok before but not ok now. =( However, I know in the long run, this is what's best for him! He had his staples removed two weeks ago and both of his incisions are completely healed. Surprisingly, his hair is growing back quicker than I had anticipated after reading some of your posts. Unfortunately with that, comes extreme itching. I feel so bad for him because he tries his best to scratch it, but he just can not reach his backside. lol He's already on Apoquel and Zyrtec for his allergies, but I was wondering if anyone had any home remedy suggestions? I recently bought Burt's Bee Soothing Anti Itch Spray, so I'm hoping that will give him some relief.

Thanks, again!!
    Thanks for posting this. My 3 year old will be having both knees done in three days.

19. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads