Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chapo Not doing so Well :(

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chapo
    Likes (Received)

Default Chapo Not doing so Well :(

Hello Everyone. I am Very worried about Chapo. Hes having bad allergies and also an infection around his eye.

I took him to the vet last week and they gave him some antibiotics also some ointment for his eye. His eye is starting to look a little better but there is still some scarring.

He has red spots all over his body and hair is falling out. Some areas are balding out completely.

Food: Ive stuck with the same food (Taste of the Wild) which was doing pretty well and made his stool solid and healthy looking compared to before. Should I switch to Raw foods?

Baths: I used an antibacterial shampoo & Conditioner since i got Chapo which worked well in the beginning but still Thinking of switching to something else now. I read either Johnson&Johnson Baby soap or Head and shoulders.

Any thoughts or Feed back would be very much appreciated. Thank You

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chapo Not doing so Well :(

Aw shame poor boy Even though Taste of the Wild is a very good food he can still be allergic to the ingredients... what type do you feed him? Maybe switch to a different protein or one without grains?

It's very hard with allergies before you've figured out what causes them... it can basically be anything, most often it's food or grass allergy but it can also be caused by detergent, flea bite, cats... anything really
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Oh, and did they do a skin scrape to check so it's really allergy and not mites or something else?
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Oh, and did they do a skin scrape to check so it's really allergy and not mites or something else?
    I agree with Petra. You need to have a skin scraping done to check for mites,which it could be mange. I hope you have a good BULLDOG vet,who is familiar with them. Poor Chapo,he looks so sad. The area around his eye looks like mange...... @ryecoon
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Acana has single protein low ingredient food. I've been having problems with allergies also. Mine seems to be doing well on the duck Acana.

I'm considering allergy testing once mine reaches 2 years old.

Switching to home cooked or raw can be done immediately and may be a solution for you to reduce reactions and slowly add other foods in.

6. Likes 2BullyMama, ryecoon liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

I recall your other post previously. To eliminate allergies if its feasible put your little guy on home cooking or raw till all disappears. Then after a few months down the road re-introduce the kibbles if thats what you really want. Like mentioned above, start with NO GRAIN and one protein at the time. Acana, Orijen has that. Like that you will know which protein little Chapo cant have. Takes at lease a good whole bag to see if there is any allergies. Not just 2-3 weeks...good month. Also a kin scrap test would be a good idea. Wash all bedding and rinse cycle with pure vinegar. (one cup). The dog food you are giving him isnt great at all.

Company Researches 2,200 Dog Food Formulas And Finds ONLY 119 To Be Satisfactory ? iHeartDogs.com

8. Likes ryecoon liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

agree with the gang.... get a skin scrape done to rule out mange and also go grain free with one protein. It is a process of elimination at this age.

Poor little guy... hope he heals up soon
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

10. Likes ryecoon liked this post
    Potty Trainer
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    KINGSTON
    Likes (Received)

ahhhh....poor baby. Been thru just about everything with my older bulldog, nothing seems to amaze me anymore. Just try to be patient, takes a while before you see changes for the better. They are tough lil pups and he'll get thru this just fine.
    I would clean the area around his eye with some peroxide on a cotton ball each time before adding ointment. I also bathe my pups with puppy shampoo that has oatmeal. I try not to use anything medicated bc sometimes that just irritates the skin even more. As far as switching his food due to allergies I was told by my vet to try something like salmon, kangaroo, fish, etc...to stay away from beef and/or chicken as these are the protein that most dogs are allergic to. Hope this helps! Your baby's gonna be fine!

12. Likes ryecoon, helsonwheels liked this post

Poor Chapo Brosco is on science diet salmon and potatos change everything from his bedding to the rug he may lay on ...or wash with non allergy detergent ,,,,,,, brosco also gets benedryl Bath soap? Other members may disagree but I use nothing but a little dawn dish soap spent 100's on oatmeal shampoos etc for the itches, threw it all away after I visited with a dermatologists about allergies..,, This is just agonizing for these special little friends, I'd start with the food and benedryl keep us posted

14. Likes 2BullyMama, ryecoon liked this post
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Poor Chappo that eye looks sore, I went through allergies with Ftse would be fine for months then would break out in different things turned out to be food issues also when he was a baby i noticed he was getting red spots on his belly that was due to me putting fabric softner in his washing i cut that out and no more red spots its just trial and elimination.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chapo
    Likes (Received)

Aw shame poor boy Even though Taste of the Wild is a very good food he can still be allergic to the ingredients... what type do you feed him? Maybe switch to a different protein or one without grains?

It's very hard with allergies before you've figured out what causes them... it can basically be anything, most often it's food or grass allergy but it can also be caused by detergent, flea bite, cats... anything really
    I feed him the Orange Puppy bag of TOTW Bison Ingredients.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chapo
    Likes (Received)

No skin scrape. I can take him to the Vet and request one

18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads