Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Overweight??

  1. #1
    Pet Sitter Bo'sMamaGirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    US
    Location
    Nothern KY
    Posts
    393
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bocephus
    Likes (Received)
    91

    Default Overweight??

    I took Bocephus to the vet today. He got a clean bill of health 😊 but the vet said at 55lbs, he needs to lose 5lbs and we should decrease the amount of food he eats. So how much should a 3yo bulldog be eating? He eats blue buffalo grain free. Any thoughts??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about Bulldogs.

  2. #2
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Marine91's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Blips and Chitz
    Posts
    8,479
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2585

    Default Re: Overweight??

    Generally as they get older you usually feed a bit less than when they were a pup but not always. How much are you feeding per meal per day now? For losing weight if you are feeding kibble you can replace half of it with green beans at each feeding and he will start to lose weight.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

  3. #3
    Pet Sitter Bo'sMamaGirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    US
    Location
    Nothern KY
    Posts
    393
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bocephus
    Likes (Received)
    91

    Default Re: Overweight??

    Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    Generally as they get older you usually feed a bit less than when they were a pup but not always. How much are you feeding per meal per day now? For losing weight if you are feeding kibble you can replace half of it with green beans at each feeding and he will start to lose weight.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    He gets 2 coffee cups a day. I dumped a coffee cup full of food into a 1cup measuring cup and there was still a little left in the coffee cup... So I'm guessing he's getting 1.25 cups twice a day.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about Bulldogs.

  4. #4
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11489

    Default Re: Overweight??

    cut the kibble in half and add frozen grren beans as the other half.... the 5lbs will drop in no time. Then get a dry measuring cup for a level 1 cup in the AM and 1 cup in the PM and he will maintain the weight.

    If you are using a coffe cup or a liquid measuing cup -- it is way more than an actual cup of dry kibble
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  5. #5
    Pet Sitter Bo'sMamaGirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    US
    Location
    Nothern KY
    Posts
    393
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bocephus
    Likes (Received)
    91

    Default Re: Overweight??

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    cut the kibble in half and add frozen grren beans as the other half.... the 5lbs will drop in no time. Then get a dry measuring cup for a level 1 cup in the AM and 1 cup in the PM and he will maintain the weight.

    If you are using a coffe cup or a liquid measuing cup -- it is way more than an actual cup of dry kibble
    Should green beans be frozen when I give them to him? Is the measuring cup one uses to bake with the dry kind? Do I just do this until he loses 5lbs?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about Bulldogs.

  6. #6
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11489

    Default Re: Overweight??

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo'sMamaGirl View Post
    Should green beans be frozen when I give them to him? Is the measuring cup one uses to bake with the dry kind? Do I just do this until he loses 5lbs? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do not have to be frozen, I use them cause it is easy and Babks loves them. usually the glass (Pyrex) are liquid, I went to Target and actually bought cups that specfically stated 'dry ingredient' to ensure I was not over feeding --- Baks has very bad HD and a bad spine so I have to be very careful with her weight management. She has to stay under 60lbs.... and this is what I do if she ever goes over... works like a charm. then back to her normal routine. She tends to go over in the winter due to less activity level
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  7. #7
    Pet Sitter Bo'sMamaGirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    US
    Location
    Nothern KY
    Posts
    393
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bocephus
    Likes (Received)
    91

    Default Overweight??

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Do not have to be frozen, I use them cause it is easy and Babks loves them. usually the glass (Pyrex) are liquid, I went to Target and actually bought cups that specfically stated 'dry ingredient' to ensure I was not over feeding --- Baks has very bad HD and a bad spine so I have to be very careful with her weight management. She has to stay under 60lbs.... and this is what I do if she ever goes over... works like a charm. then back to her normal routine. She tends to go over in the winter due to less activity level
    Yes I think it was just our brutal winter. He's between 49-51 pounds since he was 1- he will be 4 in December. Thanks for your help!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about Bulldogs.

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •