Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Neuter Or Not

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: To Neuter Or Not

I would wait..just a few more months. My vet insists neutering doesn't curtail their Bully growth..but since these doggies mature slower than other breeds, I just feel why rush? If he's healthy and being such a good boy....wait until closer to a year. Jake was 11 months. I think we have @Davidh who raises ome wonderful Bully's and I think he waits until 18 months. But whatever you decide... for neutering!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    Neutering him you will avoid possible testicular cancer.
    .... nuff said....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    better said : You will avoid your pet developing testicular cancer.

Oyyyyyyyyy!
    good lesson in sentence structure!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

I would do it before a year ... Chunk was three years old when we neutered him and it caused complications. (We got him when he was two years old, so we didn't have a choice as a puppy.) It became evident that we needed to do it when he started having prostate issues. Thankfully, the neuter helped that. However, his recovery ended up to be very long because he was older. Basically, because he had his boy parts longer, there was a higher risk of infection and more than once that almost happened. Soooo that being said, I'd do it by a year old if it was my choice!
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

Neuter him... my sister in law just had to put her Boxer to sleep at the age of 5 due to testicular cancer that mets. She said if she could turn back time she would have had him neutered.
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Neuter him definitely, but I would wait to at least a year old. our vet recommends 18 months, but any time after a year is fine. Just my humble opinion.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@Davidh Being I'm still new to this doggie stuff, I'm curious of the reason to wait til 18 months? So they can do all their growing? Do their "boy parts" drop completely by that point? (our issue with infection after Chunk was neutered was because of the empty skin)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live Genuinely

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Chunksmama Well since bullies mature and don't stop growing until about the age of two, that's why our vet likes to wait a year to 18 months. Now I have seen bullies neutered at7 or 8 months old and have grown into beautiful big bullies. But like our vet said that most of them will widen out in the chest and head and little more if they are not neutered until later. Some people will argue this and who is right? Who knows. I will do as he suggest, because he has not steered me wrong yet.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@Davidh ... Gotcha. Makes sense! What I do know for sure is that I will NOT wait as long as it was with the Chunkster. What a fiasco

Live Genuinely

Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)

Another point to consider: Pet insurance.

If it is something you consider doing for your bully, some companies charge more or will not cover "unaltered" pets

Wrinkle Wiper
    Likes (Received)

Well I'm gonna disagree with everyone and say why neuter him? It is actually healthier for the dog's health on balance not to neuter - type in "long term effects of spay neuter" into google if you want some scientific facts on the matter. In some countries in Scandinavia it is rare to neuter and there are not problems with dogs there (although there may be problems with free roaming cats). Where I live in NZ it is more common to neuter than not, but less common that in the States. Certainly there have never been any problems with our 5 year old unneutered boy, and we walk off lead nearly everyplace.

It's your decision at the end of the day and the study I mentioned above only deals with the dog's health and not issues like risk of unwanted pregnancy - but if where you live is anywhere like where I live the risk I think is very small.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -sdc10819-jpg  

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

I have a great bully vet who's also on the vet recommendations here at EBN. Wilson turned a year in January and my vet would not neuter him until he was a year old. Wilson just got neutered last Wednesday. I had no issues with him at 6 1/2 months either, the issues started about 8 months and his marking started right after Christmas. It was his time to get the nip tuck. He too had no aggression issues and still doesn't, not in his personality. He has gotten a tad bit calmer in the last week and even a bit more lovely (he's a don't touch me type of bully). I would wait at least until a year if you can, it's healthier for them, and all dogs, for growth reasons.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barchy View Post
    Hello i am new to the forums

i have a 6.5 month old english bulldog named chubbz

i have an appointment next week for his neutering but i am just wondering wether or not i should actually go through with this

he dosent have a bad tempermant, he has been trained to go to the bathoom outside since day one and has made a mistake once or twice, he dosent have any humping issues at all, dosent bite, so im just wondering whats the point in neutering him?

i have asked a couple vets and some said do it some said dont. i have asked for opinions on forums and have gotten mixed answers so i am here now as i can tell this is a reputable place

please help me out with pros and cons to this procedure and judging by what i have told you if it seems like theres any point to it

i do not plan on using him for stud service or breeding and he dosent roam free he walks off leash with me and is really obediant

thanks alot!!
    Personally I always neuter/spay my animals. In addition to the health benefits, I am a strong believer in not overbreeding. Right now your boy is not humping because his hormones probably haven't kicked in. You can probably wait a bit longer if that is what you are worried about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads