When was your bulldog potty trained?

mybullymarlie

Jan 24, 2018
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Marlie
Hello!

I am a 2 time bully mommy. My Abby died last year after being with me almost 12 years and now I have Marlie. She is wonderful and crazy.

I am having a terrible time with potty training. She is going to be 6 months at the end of the month and she only goes to the door once in awhile. She uses the puppy pads a lot but some days, she just goes whenever, wherever. It's frustrating some days because I don't think it has ever taken this long to potty train any dog I have ever had.

The only thing I can think of is that she is with my MIL during the day. My MIL lives with us too but our house is very long, so we have 3 entrance doors. During the day, she goes out MIL's door to potty and then when I get home from work, it's one of the other 2 doors.

Please help with your successes, woes, anything.

Thanks~!

LJJ86

Feb 4, 2018
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper
My answer to this - he's not! 6mo old just like yours and he will potty outside - but he will also go inside for no apparent reason. Yesterday I opened the door for him to go outside - he walked away. Then looked me in the face and peed on the floor.

I think we are all in the same boat and hopefully what everyone says about " it will click eventually" will come true!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
To answer your question, at four months. But, what perhaps is more relevant is that Castor (who will be 5 yrs in April) has never gone to the door or told us he needs to go out. From start we have had quite a strict potty break regime - at first once an hour, then every second hour, etc until he was potty trained. Never used pee pads. Now he goes out three times a day, and pottying equals walks - ie we don't open the door for him to go out for a quick pee. That has never been an option as we used to be in a flat and now have just a tiny patio garden but I also think it makes sense to always make potty breaks into walks so that he from day 1 makes the connection outdoors = walking = pottying. Having said that, Castor does pee in our little garden now and then but that seems to be just marking to inform the neighbouring cat who is in charge!

Good luck with little Marlie and welcome to the forum!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17990]mybullymarlie[/MENTION] :welcome4:to EBN! Sorry to hear about your Abby. I have (my ID) many dogs in my lifetime. Usually 4 or 5 at one time(can't resist...)
Something I do know personally, is that English Bulldogs are the hardest to potty train, of any other breed. Most don't ask to go out, until they are totally "potty trained", and even then, you are just supposed to know! As @cefe13 mentioned Having them on a schedule works much better than expecting them to alert you!
Since She is with MIL during the day, you both must arrange the same schedule. Every hour,2 hours,whatever is closest to her "accident" schedule. It shouldn't matter which door, but do not come in until she "goes". Choose a word to use when telling her to go. I would give mine a small treat,after they "went"praising with it.
Everyone has their own way, but whatever you choose, it must be consistant(for you and Mom). Do not punish for accidents in house-just say "no in house, you(word choice) outside. After eating,playing, and sleeping are the most important potty times, but also inbetween. One of mine was 10 months before I could take the last pad up, because they would play hard, and she would "sneak a pee" before I noticed!! Do not give up-just form a better strict schedule, and save treat for outside potty!:)

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
[MENTION=17990]mybullymarlie[/MENTION] :welcome4:to EBN! Sorry to hear about your Abby. I have (my ID) many dogs in my lifetime. Usually 4 or 5 at one time(can't resist...)
Something I do know personally, is that English Bulldogs are the hardest to potty train, of any other breed. Most don't ask to go out, until they are totally "potty trained", and even then, you are just supposed to know! As @cefe13 mentioned Having them on a schedule works much better than expecting them to alert you!
Since She is with MIL during the day, you both must arrange the same schedule. Every hour,2 hours,whatever is closest to her "accident" schedule. It shouldn't matter which door, but do not come in until she "goes". Choose a word to use when telling her to go. I would give mine a small treat,after they "went"praising with it.
Everyone has their own way, but whatever you choose, it must be consistant(for you and Mom). Do not punish for accidents in house-just say "no in house, you(word choice) outside. After eating,playing, and sleeping are the most important potty times, but also inbetween. One of mine was 10 months before I could take the last pad up, because they would play hard, and she would "sneak a pee" before I noticed!! Do not give up-just form a better strict schedule, and save treat for outside potty!:)[/QUOTE

Exactly what I've done with Ty

And it has worked to an extent
When he goes in the house, it's not because he needs to, it's that d@**d!! Marking issue

Our que word is 'wizzel'

OP
M

mybullymarlie

Jan 24, 2018
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Marlie
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am being patient. It's very hard though. I will just keep trekking through and she will get there!

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
Surprisingly, we had a fairly easy time potty training Tayto. I think the key was we trained him to jingle a bell by the door every time he wanted to go outside. We started this by ringing it ourselves when we took him out to go and then he associated the sound with going potty/outside. Eventually he got used to doing it on his own and now he knows we will open the door for him if he hits the bell.

Not sure if that's helpful or not.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Surprisingly, we had a fairly easy time potty training Tayto. I think the key was we trained him to jingle a bell by the door every time he wanted to go outside. We started this by ringing it ourselves when we took him out to go and then he associated the sound with going potty/outside. Eventually he got used to doing it on his own and now he knows we will open the door for him if he hits the bell.

Not sure if that's helpful or not.

I always thought about the bell by the door but never did it! Bella had been doing so well until about a week ago. :(
She's pooped in the house 4 times this last week.... since her injury we couldn't just let her out back and she really won't "go" while on the leash UNLESS we are walking around the neighborhood (then it is inevitable for me to have to carry a poop bag for a mile or two!)
She doesn't give much of a sign about having to go out either. She'll go to the back door but if yo don't see her there she'll will go right there or sometimes I can her her (she trots with a purpose so I can hear her nails on the wood floor) to the front door and poop. She hasn't peed in the house in months. All of my others will whine and go back and forth from me to the door but not this little bugger. She is 15 months old already... :(

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie was probably potty trained around 6 months. My Frenchie was probably 5-6 months. Consistency is definitely the key. And give LOTS of praise and treats when she goes where you want her to go.

Staff online

Members online