Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17420]Luvn Miley[/MENTION] Wow! I feel that you have made great progress! With the horrible/abusive history that the poor girl has had, this is a relatively short time for this progress! Keep up the good work and in time she may actually be with the others,with out fight. She has had to defend herself all her life. Don't even understand why some people have dogs. I guess because they can feel superior? I(for what it's worth) am proud of you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone for your responses and insights. I appreciate each one so much.

I thought it would be best to take Miley in for updated vaccinations since the trainer will be out next Tuesday and I can't get any response from the people we got her from about her vaccination history. The woman said she was current until this coming January but I can't trust a single word she has said so I didn't feel comfortable not knowing if she had had shots or not. So to the vet we went on Tuesday. I'm glad I did as I had the vet check Miley's urine because she had a couple accidents in her crate which wasn't something she has done to that point. She caught some urine and you could see blood in it. They tested it and yep, she has a UTI. So she is on Clavamox for 2 weeks. Dr. Deb went ahead and gave her a Rabies shot since the trainer will be coming out. Not that either one of us think Miley would bite her but just in case we have to break up a fight and this way everybody is covered.
Might I add.... Her vet is AWESOME. She took all the time in the world making Miley comfortable as I talked to her about Miley's past, the abuse, neglect, dog fights. She sat down on the floor and let Miley approach her. It was absolutely the most relaxed vet visit I had ever been to. By the end of the visit Miley was accepting treats from her. Even after the rabies shot she was wiggle butting around the office. So, "Yea for AWESOME veterinarians!!!"

Now an update on Miley's progression. I will add this here and once the trainer comes out I will start a new thread with newer updates.
We are now in 4 1/2 weeks. We are still rotating time out. Miley gets out of her crate about half the day now. She is gated off in our big living room and the other three dogs are in the other part of the house but can walk up to the gate at any time and see what we are up to. In the beginning Miley would lunge and bark at them, now she is giving them sideways glances without the growling, which is a huge improvement.
She is in the busiest room crate wise. I did this because I don't want her shoved off somewhere that she isn't going to come into contact with the other dogs on a regular basis. Again, in the beginning, if one of the others would walk past her crate she would bark, growl and lunge at them. I'm going to say now, only about half of the time is she acting this way. And the other times she is sitting watching them walk past. Almost as if she is thinking, "Is this even worth my effort to GET EM?"
Our little Boston Terrier (all 10 pounds of her) walked up to Mileys crate and they actually sniffed one another face to face. Miley didn't react in any way other than to sniff back. I wanted to jump for joy and do a jig but I didn't react at all.Well, a BIG smile but I sure didn't want to take that moment from Miley. It's actually a pretty big deal. I'm proud of our girl.
She is making noticeable strides and I could not be any happier with her progress thus far.

The pic is her at her Vet visit this past Tuesday.
View attachment 107706

WHAT A BEAUTY!! Thank you for the update.

The UTI COULD play a role in her being somewhat 'aggressive'.. they are painful and she could have been irritable along with not being friendly.

quick question... when you say she 'now she is giving them sideways glances without the growling" --- what is her stance like? Stiff and ridged by chance? head up or down?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
so great to hear... What a lucky girl (and you guys too) to have had this second chance. Wonderful to hear. Loving the updates :)

OP
Luvn Miley

Luvn Miley

Jul 25, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
[MENTION=17420]Luvn Miley[/MENTION] Wow! I feel that you have made great progress! With the horrible/abusive history that the poor girl has had, this is a relatively short time for this progress! Keep up the good work and in time she may actually be with the others,with out fight. She has had to defend herself all her life. Don't even understand why some people have dogs. I guess because they can feel superior? I(for what it's worth) am proud of you!

Thank you SO MUCH.

OP
Luvn Miley

Luvn Miley

Jul 25, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
WHAT A BEAUTY!! Thank you for the update.

The UTI COULD play a role in her being somewhat 'aggressive'.. they are painful and she could have been irritable along with not being friendly.

quick question... when you say she 'now she is giving them sideways glances without the growling" --- what is her stance like? Stiff and ridged by chance? head up or down?

She at first is relaxed but watchful. Then if one gets closer, first her brow will furrow. Then a low grumbling growl. If they continue to advance forward she will lunge at the crate/gate, fur along back bristled, with a stiff legged bounce or two along with a deep growl/bark sort of thing going on. Head up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She at first is relaxed but watchful. Then if one gets closer, first her brow will furrow. Then a low grumbling growl. If they continue to advance forward she will lunge at the crate/gate, fur along back bristled, with a stiff legged bounce or two along with a deep growl/bark sort of thing going on. Head up.

When you see her do this say 'leave it' BEFORE she moves in anyway. She will learn that you are aware and you'll begin to prevent any lunging . Use firm normal tone if voice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.