Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

Question Drop it command

Ok so I need to teach Tubby the drop it command. Tubby is OBSESSED with balls. We keep 2 on the balcony to play with but they are strictly balcony balls, they are not allowed in the house. It is a night mare trying to get the ball away from him when it's time to come inside. He will even open the screen door with his face and take his ball in the house. This then turns into a fun game for Tubbs of keep away.

My question to you guys is how do I do go about trying to teach him to drop it? I know food is going to play a huge roll in this but I just don't know how to go about it.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Drop it command

Yeah good luck with that one. Lol. No seriously, the only thing that works for us is to offer a treat, we usually keep the milk bone minis, and I break them in half, or a couple of pieces of their kibble. Or you could try diverting his attention with another toy. Or if all else fails, lock the balcony. Lol
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

High value treat -when he got a ball in his mouth say drop it and show him a treat when he drop the ball to get the treat i usually say drop it again (just to make sure) and then give him a lot of praise , then start the process all over again-make him interested in his toys (more likely he wont take it as he will be waiting for the treat) but as soon as he grab it -give him command drop it -offer a treat as soon as he drop the toy
    Hope this help xsorry i g
    Last edited by Pati Robins; 08-24-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: got FAT finger syndrome! and make a lot of mistakes ;)
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pati Robins View Post
    High value treat -when he got a ball in his mouth say drop it and show him a treat when he drop the ball to treat the treat i usually say drop it again (just to make sure) and then give him a lot of praise , then start the process all over again-make him intreated in his toys (more likely he wont take it as he will be waiting for the treat) but as soon as he grab it -give him command drop it -offer a treat as soon as he drop the toy
    Hope this help x
    I will try this.

My concern is when he has the ball in his mouth and you get close to him he runs. Will the treat entice him to stay put?

Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Lure him slowly and don't try to catch him -this will never work -especially if you want to teach him to play fetch ;-)
    It worked on my deaf girl im pretty sure it will work on a bullie ;-) time and patience

Shy & Lilly

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

High value treat -when he got a ball in his mouth say drop it and show him a treat when he drop the ball to treat the treat i usually say drop it again (just to make sure) and then give him a lot of praise , then start the process all over again-make him intreated in his toys (more likely he wont take it as he will be waiting for the treat) but as soon as he grab it -give him command drop it -offer a treat as soon as he drop the toy
    Hope this help x

^^^^^^ EXACTLY!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

thinking I would have better luck inviting a stripper out for a Happy meal at McDonalds than to get Rocky or Rambo either one trained to drop anything they deem valuable enough to chew. Rocky had a piece of floor moulding the other day, that he and Rambo decided to break in half and share..... I'm working with Rocky to give it up, while rambo runs me over to play keep away with his, so I holler for Rambo to drop it, and Rocky wants to play keep away, thinking they value moulding as a high value treat.....

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Hope this help x
    This is the correct method as stated above and the one we learned from our trainer. You could begin with a tug toy instead of a ball, play tug of war and then place the treat next to his nose and say "drop" or "drop it" he will release the toy, give the treat and praise and then repeat for a few times, not to many times per session, better several short sessions to a long session. Then hopefully the drop it command will transfer not only to the balls but any object

Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

All great advice. One more suggestion since he loves his ball so much, you can use both of them. When he has one on lockdown you can show him the other one in your hand. While showing him the other ball tell him to drop it. Once or if he does either give him or throw the other ball. Maybe you can teach him the drop it command while showing him that playing fetch is better than keep away. Hope this helps for you.
    Because Bella said so!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Taz
    Likes (Received)

I have the same problem with Taz, I've tried, drop it, let go,give. All that seems to work are treats. Maybe one day?.

Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angie1969 View Post
    I have the same problem with Taz, I've tried, drop it, let go,give. All that seems to work are treats. Maybe one day?.
    Keep at it eventually it will be in his blood -like a muscle memory ;-) and then you will stop giving him treats ;-)

Shy & Lilly

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    thinking I would have better luck inviting a stripper out for a Happy meal at McDonalds than to get Rocky or Rambo either one trained to drop anything they deem valuable enough to chew.
    I have no words LMAO
    "If our dogs don't like you we probably won't either"

Remove Ads