Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Buster tried to bite me and my daughter!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Buster tried to bite me and my daughter!

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Well my two cents is that you must never use excitement as a lead in to play. Especially with a rescue that you don't know much about. You must be calm,slow and deliberate with all interaction with him. He is surely frightened and insecure. If an adult dog hasn't been properly socialized, they aren't going to know how to respond to you or other animals. He needs quiet and a slow introduction to everything. This is not his fault and I doubt it's an act of aggression. I bet it's insecurity and feeling lost. If you intend to make him a part of your family..and there is no reason not to.. You need to learn how to love him and not fear him. You can do it.. I've been in situations where my hubby brought home many a full grown dog off the streets. They will love you with fierce loyalty but nothing comes naturally. They will learn from your actions and reactions. For instance.. Why do you think he knew you were kissing his head and not a threat? Does he know what a child is? He probably doesn't even know how to play..let alone that its fun. I hope you don't give up on him. He deserves a loving home.

I'm behind this advise 100% a rescue that doesn't know how to play isn't trusting you yet. please give him time and keep things quiet and clam for him and your sake, he is fearful. Allow him to come to you, try not to approach him just yet, let him watch you until he gains trust in you. I could take months and months,
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    I'm behind this advise 100% a rescue that doesn't know how to play isn't trusting you yet. please give him time and keep things quiet and clam for him and your sake, he is fearful. Allow him to come to you, try not to approach him just yet, let him watch you until he gains trust in you. I could take months and months,
    But please believe me when I say it will be so worth it in the end. Btw where did you get him? If it was from a rescue don't be afraid to call his foster family and ask what they think.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel Wentworth Sinclair & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@JAKEISGREAT is completely correct so please be extra considerate and patient with him. Also, maybe he's not the cuddly type...Nigel is not as cuddly as I am and he tolerates me cuddling him a lot. Today in fact, I think I over-did it because he snapped at my face too. I immediately correct him and tell him 'no biting mommy' and I back off of him. I know it's not aggression it's just me smothering him and him not being in the mood. He may have been sleepy (it was naptime) or maybe he's hungry? I know Nigel has snapped at my face as a way to tell me he's hungry.

I always get scared when I see these kind of posts - please do not jump to the 'aggression' conclusion. So many other things should be considered first.

Good Luck with your baby!

Cheerio mates!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandi Sheldon View Post
    Thank you all for your love and support! I told my hubby that we need to step back and try again with Buster. It has only been a little bit since he came to live with us and I can not give up on any animal!!!
    While hugging is a delightful thing for us humans, dogs feel differently about it. The snap was a reaction to a stimulus - the hugging / being in Buster's face - which may have felt like being "trapped" to him. Hugging a dog doesn't do a thing for the dog really - it's for the human. Your family should resist this temptation with Buster until genuine trust has been established (his trusting his human pack leaders) and that takes time. He'd probably appreciate a scratch under the chin far better anyway!

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

I'm sorry you're going through this and I'll hope and pray for the best outcome. Have you made sure to check for any ear infections or tooth abscesses? That can always lead to some aggression if they are in pain. Heck, I have a dentist appt on Sat cuz I have a toothache and even I wanna bite everyone at work right now!! Please keep us updated so we can be rest assured and maybe have some new "tools" in our bully kits for future reference.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Great advice ahs been given by jakeisgreat and vicaroo1000 .... good luck and keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Lois
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Max
    Likes (Received)

So glad to hear your not giving up, be calm & patient, he'll come along.

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Some great advice. From my experience with rescue give them time and build trust; depending on how he was treated it may take months before he is secure enough for someone to hug or kiss him. I have had some that were great dogs but were never able to hug or kiss them. The best I could get with them was patting them on the head and telling them good dog. It takes time, consistancy, and patience. With some you are able to take their lead and all of a sudden they will come up to you and give you kisses but it doesn't happen all the time. In the mean time explain to your daughter there may be a reason for his behavior and keep the face away for him. Work slowly, no sudden of fast movements, things will get better with time. He probably didn't get that way overnight and it will take time for him to heal from the past. Good luck.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

Please keep us updated on his progression.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads