Feed Store Operator Lalaloopsie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How much do you feed per day?

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    Yes, Castor is lean but he doesn't look skinny, does he? We will increase the meat and adding fat sounds good too, but what kind of fat would you suggest?
    Attachment 102375

Attachment 102376
    Perfect shape! Amazingly handsome bullie!

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    So, my boy has a high metabolism (believe it or not in this breed, lol) and I was concerned that he was on the "skinnier" side compared to other bullies. Bass is now three, so he's pretty much grown to his full size but only weighs between 45-50 pounds. (I believe 20 kilos is around 44 pounds, so they are about the same weight wise). I mentioned this to my vet last appointment and just as @helsonwheels said, it's actually a perfect weight for this breed and a good to maintain this weight as to avoid future health issues. That said, I still feel at times that I could bulk up my bullie a little - he does eat kibble, I add yogurt and coconut oil to his diet. He has freeze dried liver (by Stewarts) for treats and I add a raw egg to his meal at times. If I let him, Bass could probably run around the block - twice - he still has high energy when he's outside and around people/other dogs…he won't quit unless I make him (and I do). It's just a high metabolism, it's in his genetic make-up…so try not to worry too much, as long as you can't visibly see rib cage (hard to tell w/these wrinkle stinkers) your bullie looks in good shape to me - and he's still young correct? As far as being cautious feeding too much at meal time, you can always add in a meal/snack during the day to avoid bloat. RiisSi is definitely the go to for raw feeding, I've read many of her recipes and her beauties are show winners for sure, she is the one to ask for adding additional calories to the RAW diet…
    Yes, you are right, @RiiSi is an expert and we've admire the pictures of her boys!

Your boy seems to be the same size as Castor - who is 3.5 yrs so fully grown. His parents were quite lean (he looks very much like his father, in fact), but they were one size bigger (about 25 kilos). Vets here think Castor looks fine and he seems healthy and happy... but hungry. We're upping portions little by little so will see if that has any effect. I'm nto really worried about his size (after all, at 3.5 he probably won't be any bigger) but I was rather wondering how to up his portions!

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

3. Likes NewEnglandBully liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaloopsie View Post
    Perfect shape! Amazingly handsome bullie!
    Aww, Castor blushes! Thanks!

Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes, you are right, @RiiSi is an expert and we've admire the pictures of her boys!

Your boy seems to be the same size as Castor - who is 3.5 yrs so fully grown. His parents were quite lean (he looks very much like his father, in fact), but they were one size bigger (about 25 kilos). Vets here think Castor looks fine and he seems healthy and happy... but hungry. We're upping portions little by little so will see if that has any effect. I'm nto really worried about his size (after all, at 3.5 he probably won't be any bigger) but I was rather wondering how to up his portions!
    A "typical" hungry? That's normal…do you add snacks in throughout the day? That helps quell - frozen green beans? yogurt?

"Unequivocally the Sweetest"

6. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Like most mentioned, @RiiSi she will guide you best with raw. Up the protein a bit n fat as I mentioned earlier. Don't forget, dogs can eat till they drop. (Well 95% of them) They will eat none stop if "you" don't stop them.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

A "typical" hungry? That's normal…do you add snacks in throughout the day? That helps quell - frozen green beans? yogurt?
    Not sure how typical Castor is but he won't touch beans unless I hide them in his meat, and yoghurt doesn't really work with his tummy. But giving him some kind of snack in-between meals sounds like a good idea!

Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Not sure how typical Castor is but he won't touch beans unless I hide them in his meat, and yoghurt doesn't really work with his tummy. But giving him some kind of snack in-between meals sounds like a good idea!
    what kind of yogurt are you giving? REally frozen green beans are a no go?? You can try another frozen veggie of his choice.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Don't forget, dogs can eat till they drop. (Well 95% of them) They will eat none stop if "you" don't stop them.

True, but perhaps our problem (if indeed there is a problem - perhaps he's just small and lean!) is that he has only been fed according to feeding guides on whatever food he's been on. Overall, we're strict with food - never fed at the table, no extras, and he's very disciplined in the sense that he won't touch his food unless we say bon appétit, etc. I'm starting to think that now when he's finally on a food that he really likes, he shows he wants more which is a good sign. As I wrote in another thread some time ago, he often sits grunting and sighing under the dining table after he has eaten while we eat, and we think he displays some kind if discontent. So more protein and fat it will be!

Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

In the mean time, Dr. Billinghurst's books seem to get great feedback…I'm not too sure what your worry is…if it's not that he's under weight and you're content w/that and he's liking his food but just wants more, that's normal. Giving him more protein and fat why? Because he's watching you eat under the table? That's normal behavior, dogs want to be part of eating w/the pack…

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

what kind of yogurt are you giving? REally frozen green beans are a no go?? You can try another frozen veggie of his choice.
    I'm starting to wonder if the green beans everyone talks about here are different from what I have tried! I've given him long green string beans (haricot verts type) but he is totally uninterested in them. He likes yoghurt but it doesn't quite agree with him - perhaps he has some intolerance to lactose. I've tried both the 3% type we eat ourselves and 10% Greek or Turkish youghurt.

13. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

If he doesn't like beans you basically have to try any healthy greens. Kale, sprouts are great too. Quinoa is a great protein!!

Make sure you don't over cook the veggies or you will kill all vitamins why you need a supplement.

I'm still amazed I've been saying he @RiiSi when she's a she. I just read it above unless that's an error..but NO one has corrected me. I'm so sorry. All this time lol

15. Likes RiiSi liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Veggies go through dogs digestive system "unharmed" and if you want your dog to benefit more from them vitamin wise it's better to pure them. You can cook and pure or pure them raw and add to your dogs meal. It will increase the volume of the food, with very little energy. Fresh sauerkraute is better source of probiotics than yoghurt. Still fat and protein will be more satisfying if over weight is not a problem. I give my dogs treats only when training. I don't want them to be too much "in to food". They get their meals twice a day and very little in between.
    @helsonwheels Never mind. I haven't even noticed. In finnish language there is no difference between him/her it's always "hän"...

17. Likes helsonwheels, NewEnglandBully liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads