I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: This or That ... Names

I would have been a Lisa, my dad was in Vietnam when my mom was preggers with me and wrote to my dad liking the name "Lisa" he wrote back and said he LOVED the name Kelly. So she did. Mom came up with Renee for my middle name, no reason, just liked it. I was almost a year old before my dad even seen me and to this day it is a "joke" that my dad was seeing a girl named Kelly. (They have been married 50.6 years now) I personally like my name Kelly Renee Phelps-Marino. By the time my dad got to see me I was a fat baby and he called me Toad. To this day at age 49 my dad always has and still calls me Toad. Even when I call him he will answer with "Hi Toad!!!"

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KMARINO View Post
    I would have been a Lisa, my dad was in Vietnam when my mom was preggers with me and wrote to my dad liking the name "Lisa" he wrote back and said he LOVED the name Kelly. So she did. Mom came up with Renee for my middle name, no reason, just liked it. I was almost a year old before my dad even seen me and to this day it is a "joke" that my dad was seeing a girl named Kelly. (They have been married 50.6 years now) I personally like my name Kelly Renee Phelps-Marino. By the time my dad got to see me I was a fat baby and he called me Toad. To this day at age 49 my dad always has and still calls me Toad. Even when I call him he will answer with "Hi Toad!!!"
    my dad called me Dollygirl because I was a little bitty tiny kid and he told everyone I reminded him of a little doll and the nickname stuck I'm not small any more other then being super short and only get Dollygirl if he is super proud of me for something and it will slip out but my aunts still call me that from time to time
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

I was supposed to be Jennifer Lynn that's the name my mom had picked out for a daughter since she was 18 but when she met my dad he already had a Jennifer Lynn lol so they just pulled alicia out of the air at the hospital Mary is my middle name n it was my grandmothers name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Sharon was just a popular name. But in my mom's family tradition (Irish) every child in a family shares a middel name with evry other child of the same gender so my sister's middle name is the same as my middle name - we are both Maureen. Could never decide which name I disliked more. But I am stuck with them and just had to get over myself.

“Happiness is a warm puppy.”
    Charles M. Schulz

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Alix
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
    Likes (Received)

I was supposed to be named Rebecca. But then mom said she didn't want people calling me 'Becky' so that was nixed.

They ended up naming me Alix Ann...which was weird at the time. I am Hispanic and my parents also didn't want to give me a Hispanic name like theirs (Manuel and Carmen). they liked Alexia and Alexis and thought 'Alejandra'=Alexandra was just too long...so, they looked in their family bible and
    they found ALIX...and my middle name is ANN...to they shortened the ALEXANDRA to ALIX ANN...never mind that my grandmother calls me 'Alejandra' anyway and has done so since the day I was born. heehee!

When i was a baby my mother, who had me dressed all in pink with w/a pink bow in my hair would get asked what my name was to which she would answer: ALIX...and they would respond with: Oh what a cute little baby boy. REALLY?

RIP Samson el Torito and Petunia Belle
    May 20, 2000 - June 06, 2008 and November 16, 2004 - April 10, 2015

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

My name is Karen .... but apparently my Mum wanted to call me Joanne. Now, I should explain, that over here in USA the middle name is almost a given thing. In Britain, it's not AS expected. My Dad absolutely HATED middle names and told my Mum that Joanne was too much like two names ... JO and ANNE. So that was vetoed and I was named Karen .. no idea why.

My sons name is Sebastian ...firstly, I too strived for something a bit different. But I had also fallen in love with the name when I read the book "Brideshead Revisited" and it was also made into a fabulous TV series which I equally adored. His second name is William. William is my ex-husbands middle name and also the name of his deceased father. We wanted the name to continue through the family, out of respect to his Dad who died in his 40s from cancer.

My daughter is called Juliet. If she had been a boy, her name would have been Alexander. Both myself and her Dad thought it was a very beautiful english name. It was quite a while before we realised that our Juliet .. from Romeo and Juliet .... had a last name to match!!!! You see her last name, and so my ex-husbands name is Moore. Which if you rearrange the letters can spell Romeo. So my daughter truly is a Shakespearean baby!!!!

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I love reading these stories! It's interesting that so many of us were going to have different names than we have now and never liked the names we were given. I understand the gender issues-- I have always received mail addressed to Mr. Chris Patterson. I would have preferred the name my mother originally wanted and would have called me--Betsy. I wonder if my life would have been different.

i gave my kids old-fashioned names: William,who in his 30s is still called Billy; Anne, who is called Annie; and Kathryn, or Katie. By the way, my awesome son is single and available and loves bulldogs in the Dallas area if anyone is interested . . . (Shameless plug)

Oh! And my dad called me "Grace" because of my ability to trip over my own two feet while standing perfectly still.
    Last edited by ChrisRN; 04-14-2013 at 10:58 AM.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

The name Christy was a surname that died with my generation so I got it as a first name because I was the oldest girl.
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads